Tires!

It's that time for me to buy new tread for my crf450r! Just wondering what tires other guys are running and what they think is the best tire out there. I ride a lot of sand washes but also a lot of rocky terrain that's really chewed up my Pirelli

DO NOT cheap out. DO NOT BUY ARTRAX FROM MOTOSPORT. they claim that it's some good tire some cheap alternative that works almost as well. They &%$#@!ing suck, they're at least 20% smaller than advertised, and when you try to return the tire, they give you some bullshit "oh it's on my bike it works fine so sorry you can't return it"... at least now I can do burnouts and top out on the road without having to worry about wearing out my tire haha.

I'm not sure what size your 450 might take, but the bridgestone m404 is so awesome on the rear for your terrain! It's a great middle ground tire, it will haul ass in the sand and work great in the rocks, it really is the closet to having a tire for each seprate terrain you can get! However, if you tend to ride on the street alot they do get ground down by street use. I see people with old m402's that have literally no tread left riding. 

Dunlop d952 for rear only it lasts the longest out of any tire my friends and I have ever ran and is perfect for sand and gravel pits along with hard packed trails and harescramble. I ride with a friend who races moto and he runs mx 51s he gets one race out of the tires but can afford them when he gets them for free. The d952 front is a whole other story ran it for one race and replaced it because it's absolutely terrible

I ride and race on very similar terrain. I can tell you that I will never part from my pirelli scorpion pro on the front, no matter the terrain I'm riding .

As far as rear tires go though, I like the pirelli that I have on it (couldn't tell you which one it is off the top of my head) but as you mentioned, it chunks out quickly. I liked the Bridgestone M404 for performance and if memory serves, the last one I ran on my YZ wore quite nicely.

Bridgestone 403/404 combo is a great setup. Imo. I do harescrambles and run into all types of terrain,this combo has been my favorite.

+1.  If you read all the previous threads on this topic and any long thread in another site, you will find that the Bridgestone M404/403 is probably the best overall tire out there.  My son races mx in just about every type of soil imaginable from soft beach type sand to rock hard pack and all types in between.  they wear very well and have great traction.