Sign in to follow this  

IMS tank vent tube drip

I'm getting a drip from my vent tube, after riding. I've noticed the tank getting pretty warm, while riding. So, I assume this is condensation dripping out. Should I maybe open up the cap after a ride, to let it breathe? Or, should I just let it do what it do?

Edited by blakestree

Yeah, I intended to get one of those. But, aren't they mainly cosmetic? And, I've since read horror stories about them getting plugged up. Are you suggesting that it does a better job venting than just the long length of tube? Would I be better off throwing caution to the wind and removing the tube and just venting through the cap, for now?

Edited by blakestree

I actually don't like those one way vent valves. The body is alu but often the bearing or spring inside is made of inferior material and rusts up either not sealing when it should or not venting when it should plus I've lost a few of those riding trail.

A good old vent pipe through the stem works great for me. If it's leaking slightly, maybe it's just fuel that splashed up?

If it's leaking slightly, maybe it's just fuel that splashed up?

That's what I thought the first time it happened. But, it has done it to me twice, now. And, I've yet to have more than 2 1/2 gallons in it. I haven't gone wild on the bike and the cap seems to be kinda vented, itself...

Edited by blakestree

Yeah, I intended to get one of those. But, aren't they mainly cosmetic? And, I've since read horror stories about them getting plugged up. Are you suggesting that it does a better job venting than just the long length of tube? Would I be better off throwing caution to the wind and removing the tube and just venting through the cap, for now?

No, get one of those units 150ron showed....otherwise the dust can get in thru that small hole in the cap. They come in different colors, so pick your fav.........they're cheap too.

• Like 1

I ordered 5 red ones from ebay for about 6 bucks shipped,   my son kept ripping it off and i could never find them,   they work well. 

• Like 2

my Acerbis cap has a rubber seal and also diverted so it does not enable liquids to splash straight into the vent tube

but I went to the little vent style attachment so I could use the  hole in the head tube for another purpose  

I ordered 5 red ones from ebay for about 6 bucks shipped,   my son kept ripping it off and i could never find them,   they work well. 

I looked for these on fleabay, did you order yours from China? 

Yes,  came from china in a little padded brown envelope. 

You have a clark tank right? I bought one of these from cycle gear and it was really hard to fit on the clack gas gap, I had it for about 4 hours, apparently it fell off on the freeway or somthing....how do these china ones fit? 

You have a clark tank right? I bought one of these from cycle gear and it was really hard to fit on the clack gas gap, I had it for about 4 hours, apparently it fell off on the freeway or somthing....how do these china ones fit? 

I had the IMS 3.2,   i used a bit of super glue around the gas caps nipple,  and it would stay on good,    when i would give my 2 yo son rides,  he would sit in the front and always pull off the aluminum part,  lol

• Like 1

I had the IMS 3.2, i used a bit of super glue around the gas caps nipple, and it would stay on good, when i would give my 2 yo son rides, he would sit in the front and always pull off the aluminum part, lol

I must ride it like a bucking bronco then cause even after super glueing it I still lost it.

I do like em and still have those one two of our other bikes, just remember to squirt some lube in the cap so the one-way valve doesn't seize, and you'll only notice that it has seized when you're rubber side up and fuel is pissing out all over you!

• Like 2

I've never used that style of vent, just the standard pipe through the headset.

Isn't a one way valve the wrong thing to do?

The vent has to let air in as fuel is used but also pressure out as the fuel heats up. A one way valve would turn a vented tank into a pressurised tank, would this pressure be enough to overcome the vacuum petcock and/or the float valve?

I've never used that style of vent, just the standard pipe through the headset.

Isn't a one way valve the wrong thing to do?

The vent has to let air in as fuel is used but also pressure out as the fuel heats up. A one way valve would turn a vented tank into a pressurised tank, would this pressure be enough to overcome the vacuum petcock and/or the float valve?

I think that between using fuel, the flex in the tank and the slight air leak in the vent cap, the built up pressure never becomes an issue. It let's air in the tank but not out so it won't impair a vacuum petcock.

Edited by Nellisvan