Trying to buy first Supermoto.... Is this good?

I had been riding a 2011 ninja 250. It's been fun but I had to sell it for financial reasons. Now I think I can get back out there. I was thinking of going 600cc, but maybe it would be good to try supermoto first :)

What do you guys think of this? Pricewise and stuff...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4103699442.html

and also, I am like 5 foot 9 and I understand the height drops when you sit on it but I am only 138 pounds. Will this bike be kind of high for me? Supermotos all seem high off the ground. Can I easily lower it a little?

Any additional info you might want to add is appreciated :)

Edited by turkspartan

If everything checks out and it's really only needs a new rear tire then that's a decent deal. Only issue with the DRZ SMs, they'll be like riding a 250 again. They're heavy and a bit lacking in the power department. Idk what your local laws are but see if you could find a CRF450X or WR450F converted to a street legal SM. It'll be much lighter and much more powerful. Another good bike to look into would be an SV650. They usually sell for around 3-4Gs and are a fun V-Twin.

Yeah the Drz 400 I think those things have about 32hp the suspension is a little lackluster. Winter is upon us good buyers market thats when you jump on some good deals. Cash is king

Busted has the right idea on the sv650

you can lower those. The seat alone is 3 or 4 inches thick you can also get lowering links for the suspension. At 65 hp youll have plenty of power

Thanks for the recommandations, but my budget is around 3k for now. Those 2 bikes seem to cost way more than a drz.

I was thinking this may be a good starter supermoto bike and that I can always upgrade later.

That being said, I am going to look around for those 2 bikes incase I find a good deal on em. I liked that DRZ because it was a 2009 for a good price it seems like.

I am not interested in an sv650. If I go supersports later on, I was considering 2009+ triumph 675.

I want to get a supermoto so that I can have experience with a supermoto and a supersports. Than I will choose what suits me more.

Keep the advice flowing :p Thanks guys!

EDIT: If I do end up wanting to buy that DRZ, what should I offer for it?

Edited by turkspartan

That is a more than fair asking price for a drz with only 2,500. I ride an E model and love it. there are a few mods you will want to do shortly after getting it if you choose to purchase this bike. I suggest you go to the drz forum under dirt bikes, the Suzuki, and then

drz. read up in the faq section first then go into the forum. As far as if the bike is to tall you have options lowering links are cheap, shaved seat.as far as your weight set your race sag. like I said go to the drz forum and read lots of info.

id buy that

Nice bike..I'd look for an XR650R that has been converted also..I have 2..They've been bullet proof ..only the 690ktms have a little more balls than a stock one..They eat 450 conversions and like I said,for reliability..no comparison

Thanks for the recommandations, but my budget is around 3k for now. Those 2 bikes seem to cost way more than a drz.

I was thinking this may be a good starter supermoto bike and that I can always upgrade later.

That being said, I am going to look around for those 2 bikes incase I find a good deal on em. I liked that DRZ because it was a 2009 for a good price it seems like.

I am not interested in an sv650. If I go supersports later on, I was considering 2009+ triumph 675.

I want to get a supermoto so that I can have experience with a supermoto and a supersports. Than I will choose what suits me more.

Keep the advice flowing :p Thanks guys!

EDIT: If I do end up wanting to buy that DRZ, what should I offer for it?

If you know what you're doing you can ride the SV faster than a 600 SS. The power is way different and way more manageable.

I had been riding a 2011 ninja 250. It's been fun but I had to sell it for financial reasons. Now I think I can get back out there. I was thinking of going 600cc, but maybe it would be good to try supermoto first :)

What do you guys think of this? Pricewise and stuff...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4103699442.html

and also, I am like 5 foot 9 and I understand the height drops when you sit on it but I am only 138 pounds. Will this bike be kind of high for me? Supermotos all seem high off the ground. Can I easily lower it a little?

Any additional info you might want to add is appreciated :)

the drz is a great bike, regardless of weight issues. the power department isn't all that bad. with a good full pipe and jet kit and doing the 3x3 mod the drz really opens up and goes. and for that price for a bone stock with low miles it's a bargain. they are a bit tall. i have the seat concepts seat kit and with boots i have trouble tip toeing the bike at stops. but they do make low set kits and sell lowering links for shorter riders. im over 200lbs with gear and about 5'9''. i just got back from a good 100mile+ ride today. put my 07 over the 23,000 mile mark today

you will disappoint yourself if you went with a ninja or cbr250 and then rode a drz. supermotos are by far the most fun you can have on 2 wheels

from todays ride with a fellow TT member and his 03 KLX400(DRZ)

null_zpsd6761bfa.jpg

null_zps7e8f28ce.jpg

I feel as if it is very hard to find these converted bikes where I live, because where I live there are like no places to ride on dirt unless you go kind of far out and so there are very few of these type of bikes. I guess it's easier to find DRZ because its street legal from stock (and yet there are like only 2 for sale).

I'll keep looking for a few days at the bikes you guys have recomanded and do some more research on all, but from how things seem so far I may be jumping on that DRZ. So far its best bang for the buck.

How is something like this? Keep in mind I will be more on the street and less on dirt roads. mostly 45-55mph roads.

Is it coatly to throw on street tires for this thing? I guess I can just use the same wheels and just buy new tires right? Sorry I am a noob.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/4114443475.html

Wow good god, ktm is 249 pounds and drz is 321, but the damn seat height of KTM is 1.4 inches higher... I hope itll sag more when I sit on it.

Edited by turkspartan

Any thoughts on that KTM?

Any thoughts on that KTM?

Thats a straight up dirt bike, it wont like street use at all. Its a first gen RFS motor with a small oil capacity, no blinkers or other street lagal equipment.