Carb clogs after bike sits too long

I know...  I'm supposed to search for existing answers before I ask but I only found a thread that's 4 yrs old.

I have... '04 s stock carb w/3x3 jet mod.

It if I let the bike sit unstarted in the garage (winter or summer in NJ) for as little as 3 weeks chances are the carb clogs.  Hard to start, only runs on full choke, and once warmed up the pipe is glowing red!  That means lean right?  Before I did the 3x3 I had to disassemble and clean the carb, what a pita.  Now that I have the accessible/extended mixture screw I discovered I can just remove that and spray a good amount of carb cleaner up in that hole and it's fixed.  No longer a pita, just a hassle.  

Question is...  is there a gas additive I can use that will prevent this?  like sta-bil or something?

Thanks,  Drew 

Firstly the best way to deal with this is to dump the fuel from the carb after you ride it. Just open the drain screw with the fuel closed.

I would recommend that you never spray carb cleaner inside your carb like that any seals or gaskets will be degraded by it and start causing you problems. they can be expensive.

3 weeks is fast for a bike to start getting problems i think that your carb is most likely not as clean as you think, time to drain all the fuel and pull and clean the carb once its sticky build ups happen faster.

There are fuel stabilises on the market but if you need to use them your doing it wrong.

Are you using fuel with ethanol? If you are that will cause your symptoms.i would clean the carb properly.then once you are good to go use a stabilizer for ethanol gasoline.drain the carb if it's going to sit for a week or more.

I use seafoam additive in my tank and it works pretty good at keeping the carb and intake valves clean. It's also a stablizer

Add sta-bil to keep it from cloging!!!

DrewW,     I just returned from a long road trip.  It was necessary to take the car.

Before I left I filled the DRZ fuel tank and used the recommended one ounce of STABIL to 2.5 gallons. I stuck some fuel line in a can and up to "drain" below the spring loaded screw on the left side O' the carb.  Opened'er up, no fuss, no muss.

Just now unplugged the battery tender...selected prime on the petcock...turned it over half choke...started right up...returned petcock to normal forward position.

Ride more, clean carb, fill tank, drain float bowl, use non ethanol, try some STABIL, did I mention ride more.

Edited by soeyesays

Thanks for the replies to all!

Tanis:

My carb bowl drain screw vibrated out while street riding 2 weeks after I got the brand new bike.

I've been paranoid about that happening again for 9 yrs.  I keep it so tight the present one is gnarled up by vice grips!  But I hope I can get it out again for replacement!

Carb cleaner such as gumout is for carbs, so I can't agree with you on the degrading aspect, especially for a short term exposure.

I did the 3x3 mod exactly 2 yrs ago.  So the carb was cleaned then.  Since then I did 1 dual sport ride of 100 miles, not dusty, and very little street riding.  I keep my air filter clean.  I don’t think that carb can be too dirty overall at this point, unless it’s from dirty fuel, and that could be the case.  I’m thinking my problem is just one idle related passage which I can luckily fix with that spray of gumout.

Mickeydee:

Good question, and the answer is most likely yes, my gas has some amount of ethanol, I’ll check on a stabilizer for ethanol gasoline.  But drain the carb if it sits a week or more?  I’m not up to that.  This is a street legal bike, I would assume it’s designed to be used, and then perhaps not used for a spell.

JUNURE:

Thanks, I actually used sta-bil in the winter when I first got the bike, but I treated it like my 2-stroke outboards on my boat, I also fogged the carb while running with that stuff for winterizing outboard 2strokes.  Yeah, I know  STUPID!!!  I’m Polish what do you want?  That spring was the first time I had to remove and clean the carb just to get it to run.

But sta-bil alone, in a somewhat weak dose just might help me.

And last but not least   good thing I checked my post before I replied with all this....

Soeyesays:  

Yeah, draining the bowl if it’s gonna sit a spell is good, but see above, I got this paranoia about that drain screw coming out on it’s own.  I keep it way too tight.  I guess I got to get a few more spares (to calm me down) and use the perfect size screwdriver on it so I don’t butcher it.  

Thanks again everyone...  since it seems to be running fine now I'm going for a street ride tomorrow to make sure I'm good for the 2 DS rides coming up here in NJ...  I just wish these 2 clubs would separate their events by more than 1 week!

Drew

When I said drain your carb after a week I was thinking that if you go a week of not riding then that will turn into 2 weeks and so on.ride your bike at least once a week and you won't have to drain the carb

Sounds like your on the right track, carb can block up fast 2 years if its drying out every now and then, i keep hearing good things about that seafoam may try some myself. That screw should be available, you can always put a bit of varnish type thread locker on it or a bit of blue tack if you guys get that over there. Good luck with it

I have been having the same problem and it is a pita! I once again have to pull the carb and clean it. I am adding a filter inline to see if it will help and will also try draining the bowl after riding (sometimes long periods between rides).

Hope this all works better otherwise I just might just sell it. :cry:

I have been having the same problem and it is a pita! I once again have to pull the carb and clean it. I am adding a filter inline to see if it will help and will also try draining the bowl after riding (sometimes long periods between rides).

Hope this all works better otherwise I just might just sell it. :cry:

the inline filter won't prevent gas from gumming, or ethanol from corroding parts in your carbs. it prevents dirt particles from entering the fuel feed, but that's about it. 

you might want to invest in a bottle of stabil or some other type of fuel stabilizer if it sits for a few weeks at a time. if it sits for months or years, i would be much better to fill the tank completely with a long term oil, along with the carburator to prevent water rusting it all away. 

the inline filter won't prevent gas from gumming, or ethanol from corroding parts in your carbs. it prevents dirt particles from entering the fuel feed, but that's about it. 

you might want to invest in a bottle of stabil or some other type of fuel stabilizer if it sits for a few weeks at a time. if it sits for months or years, i would be much better to fill the tank completely with a long term oil, along with the carburator to prevent water rusting it all away. 

Yes I know, I am putting the filter in because I believe my problem is more dirt getting in there then the gumming up......I will also use seafoam, it is great stuff!