what bike for my sons first? (christmas present)

*UPDATED* My son is 11yr(nearly 12) 4'11" 105lb. Hes rode 50cc, 80cc but rides his four wheeler all the time. His younger brother got a crf 50 and they went and watched a race, the lil one rode in race and now they both are dying to race. I know we need all protective gear and lots of practice. Not planning on him to race till next year after lots of practice at the track and in the yard. With that said I need to know what bike to buy for him?

1.KLX 140

2. small wheel 85cc

3. kx100

4.crf100

5. Crf150

Edited by bbd25

I dunno, if he wants to race.... probably a small wheel 85.....

RM, YZ, KX and KTM are the best options, CR's aren't that good when it comes to 85's....

My son is 11yr 4'11" 105lb. He rode a dirt bike a few times and rides his four wheeler all the time. His younger brother got a crf 50 and they went and watched a race and now they both are dying to race. I know we need all protective gear and lots of practice. With that said I need to know what bike to buy for him?

well mate to be honest with you I would not get him into racing if he is a beginner. I learnt how to ride on a crf100f. now i am seriously not suggesting this bike of you want it to last. yes it is great to learn on, but after a month i was betting it to the ground. I would go the CRF150R. But this bike will have a fair bit of grunt for a beginner and will be great ot start on. You see when I had my 100, i thought it was the sickest think out for about a month then i got bored of it. I ride my mates 230's and 250's now and I jumped on a CRF150 and i actually preferred it over a 230. aAnd the beauty of it is that they are one of the best race bikes on the market. Take my advice and DO NOT get a two stroke for they require far more maintenance and fuel mixing which is a pain in the ass. I hoped this helped :) 

thanks for prompt replies. Whatever it is it needs to last. I'd like to keep it and let my youngest boy use it down the road.

What dirt bike has he ridden before? I actually think the CRF80F or CRF100F would be good and could be passed down to the next rider.  Given his height and I assume he has never used a clutch before, it would be a good learning bike.  Both bikes have 5 speed trans and clutches.  They can usually be found used in very good shape and you can sell for nearly the same price as you bought when you are ready to move upward to a more powerful bike.

Beyond the CRF80F/CRF100F, your next step could be a YZ85 or KX100 if he is aggressive and wants to get into track riding.

Injury is a serious consideration for a beginner mixed with racing... don't do it that way.  Going to the races and watching is a lot of fun, but is different from actually doing it and is the best way to get turned off of riding all together.

Better alternative: Get him a 100 4-stroke, and you get a crf230 and take all 3 of you trail riding.  Get them subscriptions to magazines, and you all read them, and discuss, then practice.  Concentrate on articles on riding techniques and obsticles and practice, then find more articles here on TT..... you get the idea.  When they get up to about 15 or so, evaluate their skills, and consider it then when they have experiences and time on bikes.

After hearing of a youngster who face-planted into a jump at a track here locally and didn't walk away, I say be careful.  The last thing you want is to leave the track with your son in the ambulance ..... going slowly....  The parents of the boy above regreted their decision, some marriages don't survive loosing a child. 

I have ridden for the last 40 years.  Two years ago I crashed hard during trail riding and broke 9 ribs on the left side, 12 days in hospital with chest tubes, and some touch n go with a shoulder rotator cuff, I didn't need surgery.  But every time the weather gets bad, I feel it.  I still enjoy riding, but I back way off now.  Be careful so you can have a lifetime of fun together. 

Edited by ronbuell

thanks for prompt replies. Whatever it is it needs to last. I'd like to keep it and let my youngest boy use it down the road.

I'd say a CRF100F level of bike would be a good start to get comfortable with fundamentals, then if he still wants to race, get a small wheel 85, then upgrade the wheels/swingarm to big wheel when he's tall enough.

Ok thanks for replies guys. He has riddin 50cc and 80cc but never a clutch yet. Nearly 12 yr old 105lb. I've narrowed it down to.....VOTE PLEASE

1. KLX 140

2. Small wheel 85cc

3.kx100

4. Crf 100

5. Crf150

We will be riding on race tracks around here, don't know that we will race any till next year, but I also want it to hand down to my 8 yr old when he gets older if possible. He's riding a 50 cc now.

Edited by bbd25

I would vote for the KLX140.  Friend of mine let his daughter ride that one in some races and she did well on it.
Take this for what its worth: Don't expect to use the bike you buy now for the race bike you go with.  Usually, you will find that the rider's skills will be different and your needs will be different.  Plan on a race budget, and plan for breaking bike stuff every week both during practice and the race.  It's part of the gig.

Thx Ron I was leaning that way. He sat on a crf150R today and he can sit just fine on it. BUT after today I realize that that bike is way to much for him right now. I'd say the any 85 would be the same.

Thx Ron I was leaning that way. He sat on a crf150R today and he can sit just fine on it. BUT after today I realize that that bike is way to much for him right now. I'd say the any 85 would be the same.

I'd say the klx140 or a new crf125.

If he has ridden before, and has experience, I'd say get the 85. They are very fun bikes if you know how to ride. If he isn't so experienced, get a crf100f, or 150, or the klx140, or a ttr125. Then, after he has experience, let him rip on the 85.

Edit: I see you said he doesn't have too much experience. Never mind the 85s then.

Edited by Euro Enduro

well mate to be honest with you I would not get him into racing if he is a beginner. I learnt how to ride on a crf100f. now i am seriously not suggesting this bike of you want it to last. yes it is great to learn on, but after a month i was betting it to the ground. I would go the CRF150R. But this bike will have a fair bit of grunt for a beginner and will be great ot start on. You see when I had my 100, i thought it was the sickest think out for about a month then i got bored of it. I ride my mates 230's and 250's now and I jumped on a CRF150 and i actually preferred it over a 230. aAnd the beauty of it is that they are one of the best race bikes on the market. Take my advice and DO NOT get a two stroke for they require far more maintenance and fuel mixing which is a pain in the ass. I hoped this helped :)

150r for an 11 year old???      i wouldn't quite recommend that.  150r is more powerful and quicker than a 230 and a 300ex. It's probably a bit much for a low experience 11 year old.

Ttr125, won't go wrong.  I started on a ttr125 when i was 12, then by the time i was 15 i worked my way to a Trx450r.   a ttr125 is great to learn on, very reliable, and not to heavy.

My wife rides a CRF150RB (105 lbs, 5'6") and with her on it the bike can hang with a 450 pretty good. It doesn't have the same top end but if he is just starting out the 150R can be a bit much too manage. A gripe I have with the 150 is the bike does not like to be ridden slow, it's like an angry horse.

150r for an 11 year old???      i wouldn't quite recommend that.  150r is more powerful and quicker than a 230 and a 300ex. It's probably a bit much for a low experience 11 year old.

sorry bud i got confused with the CRF150F. thats the one i meant

Ok thanks for replies guys. He has riddin 50cc and 80cc but never a clutch yet. Nearly 12 yr old 105lb. I've narrowed it down to.....VOTE PLEASE 1. KLX 140 2. Small wheel 85cc 3.kx100 4. Crf 100 5. Crf150 We will be riding on race tracks around here, don't know that we will race any till next year, but I also want it to hand down to my 8 yr old when he gets older if possible. He's riding a 50 cc now.

KLX140 is a nice bike since it has front and rear disk brake.  Not sure he is big enough for KLX140L vs. KLX140.  If he is big enough, get the big wheel version (19" front/16" rear). No way on 85cc 2 stroke unless he is very aggressive and out-riding the suspension of a trail bike and if he hasnt used a clutch yet, I wouldnt do it..  The 85s have about 27-29 HP.....they are VERY fast.  KX100, he is still too short, CRF150R is just like the YZ85...too fast.  CRF100F would work...only advantage to that over KLX140 is 19" front/16" rear, but has less suspension travel.

I have owned CRF80F, CRF100F, CRF150F, YZ85, KX100, KDX200, WR250F that my kids have worked their way through as they have gotten more experienced.

To be honest when I was that age (19 now) all I wanted was my dad to get me a ktm 85 sx. I had completely outgrown my xr 80, but he didn't an I remind him daily of it. I feel I would be a lot better rider today if he did. Because soon after you buy him some trail bike, he is going to outgrow it.

On the other hand it is a serious bike, and like John Wayne it don't take crap from no-body. It can be dangerous, but crashing at 25 mph on a 85 2stroke vs 110 trail bike is still a 25mph crash. Large open fields are a good place to start whatever bike you end up with.

Fixed

Take my advice and DO get a two stroke for they require far less maintenance and fuel mixing which is such a breeze.

What do y'all think about getting him a 65??? Or is he too big? If I did I could hand it down to my younger son that would be ready in a year or two!