Sign in to follow this  

Colored Calipers

So I was out in the garage getting the bike ready for a practice tomorrow. I looked over and saw my caliper paint for my car. It had me thinking, has anyone painted their bike calipers? I don't know if I have seen it before. Just a random question.

I think it would cause your caliper to run hot. If the paint cooked it would then look like shite and boil your fluid.

flat black is reported to dissipate heat better than bare metal ( I know it sounds like BS )

and caliper paint is super high temp  I would go for it 

I might hit mine with silver just to clean em up

The "Braking" rear callipers are flat black as are the "Ride Engineering" front callipers   :thumbsup: .

I sent some to be Nickel coated. they did say there will be some parts of them that they won't be able to polish but ya can only try. I'll have them back by Tuesday, Monday your time. I'll post Pics   :thumbsup: .

• Like 1

Here's a couple of Pics of my Nickel plated callipers. Sorry about the Pics. It's very dark here ATM and they're the best of what I got. The shade of color is in the 2nd pic is more true to what they look like.

Pretty stoked with them :cool: .

003_zps3ed892ec.jpg

Got my linkage done as well :thumbsup: .

004_zps66285ee0.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling

Looks sweet. Too much show for me though. I would be afraid to mess them up. They are sweet though.

They are for a display bike. Evel Knievel tribute build. Got an Evel Knievel Pin Ball machine and want to make a corner display in my Man Cave.

Big Evel Knievel fan from way back :thumbsup:

Just mocked up for the moment. Some things will change before It's finished. The engine will be Chromed next with some Nickel plated engine covers, Fully polished top end etc. Got some Pro-Circuit Bling for the engine also.

001_zps521f5a2d.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 2

Most of the older bikes (1980's) had black painted calipers.  99.9% of us wont see any effect on performance of the caliper.  Go for it.  Powder coating calipers does not hold up because the powder coat softens up every time the caliper gets hot then EVERYTHING sticks to it.  This happens on cylinders and heads as well.  Powder coat does work well for cases.  The paint will hold up fine, it will chip a lot if you ride your bike seriously off-road but it's easy to touch up.

Just remember, the more reflective the less able to dissipate heat with silver being the least emissive of all metals.

Edited by 1987CR250R
  • Like 1

Most of the older bikes (1980's) had black painted calipers.  99.9% of us wont see any effect on performance of the caliper.  Go for it.  Powder coating calipers does not hold up because the powder coat softens up every time the caliper gets hot then EVERYTHING sticks to it.  This happens on cylinders and heads as well.  Powder coat does work well for cases.  The paint will hold up fine, it will chip a lot if you ride your bike seriously off-road but it's easy to touch up.

Just remember, the more reflective the less able to dissipate heat with silver being the least emissive of all metals.

They do make some powders that are designed for higher heat applications.  Usually the initial baking temperature is much higher than standard powders for these types.

http://www.caswellplating.com/powder-coating/powder-coating-colors/high-temperature-powder-for-headers-exhaust-applications.html

Edited by carters2