Going from big 4 stroke to small 2 stroke

Hi guys, I've got a strange question, probably backwards from what you usually get. (since people usually move up in size) I'm considering picking up a 125 two stroke, I currently ride a yz426 that has been converted to wr form (minus the tranny), I love the bike to death and still plan to keep it, in the short year I've had it, it's already racked up thousands of miles. The yz is my first dirt bike and is the one I've learned on.

My main issues with the bike however are I don't use even half of the power, and I'm more of a guy that wants to have light nimble handling, and would like a lighter overall feel. I'm not saying the yz426 is a slouch in the handling department but I got a chance to ride a friends 2008 yz125, and while it rung out faster and was not near as grunty (obviously) the snapiness from mid range and above was a blast and the thing that blew me away the most was the light feel of the bike, this alone made me 10x more confident when zipping around turns. I was riding the 125 faster than I dared push my 426 even though it was my first ride on a 125. Also I'm not exactly a big guy, I weigh about 155 with full gear on and stand 5'8", my 426 weighs in at 273 pounds wet and can be quite the challenge if it falls in an awkward position xD

I felt quite comfortable on the 125 though... I guess they weigh something like 200 pounds? The difference is amazing...

I ride pretty much exclusive desert single track, quad trails, jeep trails and rocky areas as well. (live in az) I'm looking at buying another bike in the next few months if I do decide to... Have any of you guys made a similar switch or have experience riding two of these types of bikes?

Btw I am looking real hard at the 2014 husky te125 when they come out, hopefully they come out in USA as I think the husaberg te125 never made it here? Basically something lightweight with a headlight... I don't really do mx tracks and do fairly often ride at night.

I know it sounds like I've already made up my mind but I am quite open to suggestions and opinions! Thanks for reading!

Edited by fdme

What about a 200 2T ?

I went down from a yz450 to a ktm 200 this year. The yz had a rekluse so i had to learn the clutch thing. The 200 works good on the slow tight stuff.

What about a 200 2T ?

A 200 eh? Do you think this would be a good transition from my 426? My only other 2st experience besides the yz125 is my brother in laws banshee... I do worry that the 125 might lack a bit of power, but then again I'm not trying to go super fast at least top speed wise. Is there quite a difference between a 125 and 200?

I went down from a yz450 to a ktm 200 this year. The yz had a rekluse so i had to learn the clutch thing. The 200 works good on the slow tight stuff.

What made you go from a yz450 if I may ask? Yeah I understand the clutch fairly well, I do understand however that with a 2st clutch use is mutch more important, especially with a small bore...

How did you like the recluse btw? I feel like if I ever got another larger 4st I would be interested in a recluse... Just for when I'm feeling lazy.

Edited by fdme

I owned a 2003 yz426, several ktm 200's and a slew of 125's, 250's, a 250f,  300's, 380's, 07 450's (zook, ktm , yz) and a handful of other bikes.  I weigh about 195 plus gear. I ride both offroad technical stuff and race int mx.

At your weight and type of riding I think a ktm 200 would be ideal. The 125 would work , but a lot more work and you will go thru top ends and clutch's faster.  The 200 has some low end torque, will rev out and is almost as light as a 125. I actually holeshot a field of 450's once, on an uphill start on a 200.

The 426 was a beast, stalled often, top heavy and a pain in the butt to start when hot...

I'd would highly recommend looking in to a ktm 200xc. I prefer the xc to the xc-w. I don't like the gear spacing on the w.

JMHO

Get the 125 and put a144 or 167 kit

I love small two strokes. I would never buy a four stroke for trail riding, only reason I have one now is its a street only sm. 125's make you a better rider. I really need to finish rebuilding mine, it's been sitting in my basement for two seasons now... One day when I have some extra cash floating around I want to pick up a kx100. I used to have a cr85, most fun bike I've ever owned, wish I never sold it. The kx is even better.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I owned a 2003 yz426, several ktm 200's and a slew of 125's, 250's, a 250f, 300's, 380's, 07 450's (zook, ktm , yz) and a handful of other bikes. I weigh about 195 plus gear. I ride both offroad technical stuff and race int mx.

At your weight and type of riding I think a ktm 200 would be ideal. The 125 would work , but a lot more work and you will go thru top ends and clutch's faster. The 200 has some low end torque, will rev out and is almost as light as a 125. I actually holeshot a field of 450's once, on an uphill start on a 200.

The 426 was a beast, stalled often, top heavy and a pain in the butt to start when hot...

I'd would highly recommend looking in to a ktm 200xc. I prefer the xc to the xc-w. I don't like the gear spacing on the w.

JMHO

Thanks this is very informative! 200 sizing seems to be popular. You like the xc more because the ratio is tighter compared to the w? Also what would the main reason be to not get a 250 over a 200? The 250 size 2st seems more common? I think the 200 size sounds appealing... Almost the weight of a 125 and probably close to the power of a 250... Hmm

Get the 125 and put a144 or 167 kit

Another option

I owned a 2003 yz426, several ktm 200's and a slew of 125's, 250's, a 250f,  300's, 380's, 07 450's (zook, ktm , yz) and a handful of other bikes.  I weigh about 195 plus gear. I ride both offroad technical stuff and race int mx.

At your weight and type of riding I think a ktm 200 would be ideal. The 125 would work , but a lot more work and you will go thru top ends and clutch's faster.  The 200 has some low end torque, will rev out and is almost as light as a 125. I actually holeshot a field of 450's once, on an uphill start on a 200.

JMHO

:thumbsup:

Well after reading what you guys are saying I think I will be in the market for a 200, maybe a 125 that I could get a kit for later if I felt it needed it. I might even look at a 250 after I get a chance to sit on a couple.

I like four strokes but I'm kinda looking forward to having something a little more simple to work on in my arsenal. Plus I really like how 2st smells like those older gas powered rc cars, sound like em too

:p

250 two stroke. Hardly heavy. Very nimble. Do it.