Sign in to follow this  

Crf250x, worth it?

Hello, I'm new to this forum so please help me out. I'm looking to buy an 06 Crf250x, but I'm afraid that it may not be what I really want. I'm a hard Enduro type of guy, which is why I want the x. I need something with a lot of power, but I'm vertically challanged so the highest I'd go is 250cc not higher, maybe an Athena bore kit or something. I know the r is way faster than the x but not as capable in an enduro. With the jd jet kit, airbox mod, and a cam upgrade, how much torque and power can I gain? Throttle response goes up I know but, will a few simple mods liven the bike up? I just want it to match the power of an r, so I can not only ride enduro but mx as well. I used to have an 03 ktm 105sx, and it was a pretty quick little thing. Anyway someone told me that my 105 is faster than a bone stock 250x. Is this true, I definitely don't expect it to be true, but I've never ridden the x. I have heard that its really slow though... Even though I ride enduro, I still want a bike that performs just as good as an mx bike. I don't want it to be a beginner bike, I just want more torque, power, and reliability. I really like the x, I would leave the gearing stock, I just want to make it more torqee and powerful.

Please help me out.

All responses will be appreciated :)

Thanks.

Edited by EnduroR18

• <<I need something with a lot of power, but I'm vertically challanged so the highest I'd go is 250cc not higher,>>

Well let's start there; the saddle height on the 250x vs the 450x is the same; 38"     Weight difference is 14lbs, so I believe you'd be far happier on a 450x in terms of power.   The 450 does carry it's weight up a bit higher and doesn't feel as nimble for the tight woods though and if your a hard enduro guy, a 250x is much better fit.

But you won't be happy with the power.   A stock 250x is around 24-27hp and you can bring that up to 30 or more easily enough with the mods you mentioned and tossing in an exhaust.

<< I just want it to match the power of an r, so I can not only ride enduro but mx as well.>>

While the X is a great all around bike, it's never going to be an MX'er and to compare it to a MX'er, is well just silly.   It's designed to be something else.   The tranny is a a wide ratio 5, unlike the r model which has narrow range gearing.   And the power delivery is totally different.   Power starts off down a lot lower and you for the most part are never near the rev limiter.  An r is just the opposite.  Power in the mid range all the way to the top and often your on the rev limiter at 12K

<<I really like the x, I would leave the gearing stock, I just want to make it more torqee and powerful.>>

If you really want more torque and power, I'd re-think that.  I'd pick up a couple of teeth in the back or just drop one in the front over stock and you'll have more torque then you ever need.  Top end would still be around 55-60 mph, which is more then enough for enduro's.

It all boils down to the style of riding you do.  If nothing but tight technical stuff, you'll be happier on a 250x, and that's all you really need unless your climbing mountains on a regular basis.   If your doing that, or ride a little more open terrian, then go for a 450x.

But both are tall bikes.

Jim.

Wow, thanks man, I appreciate the response. Ya I am an enduro/trails guy, I guess the best way to decide is with a test drive, but I get what your saying. Thanks for the response!

I hav a couple more questions, sorry, haha. Anyway so I did some research, and the ktm 525 sounds like a great bike. It has a seperate lubrication system, and the bike is powerful. It weighs a surprising 250.7lbs whereas the 250x weighs 253. Would the 525 be better for enduro? Or does it feel too bulky and big for hard enduro? Is it taller than the 250x? It weighs 3 pounds less than the 250x and seems to be a better bike to go with. I'm a fan of the seperate lubrication in honda's and the ktm 525 (only the 525 has seperate lubrication). Let me know what you think :)

Edited by EnduroR18

KTM's have certainly come a long way in recent years.   I haven't ridden one, so I can't compare, but a 525 sounds like a bit much for enduro.  Most of the top riders are in the 300-350 range, and the KTM 350XCF-W is supposed to be a real killer.    Personally I feel that's the sweet spot.   250's are a little under powered and 450's and up start weighing too much.

But neither of the CRFx's are light weights; both the 250 and 450 need to go on a diet.  My 250x fully loaded ready to go is 260 lbs and the 450 is 274 lbs.

Only problem with KTM is $$$, which is generally up in the $9K to $10K range (USD).     In the past, they've also been noted to be more or less in a "constant state of repair", but as I've said they've come a long way in recent years and the jury's still out on if that's changed really or not.

I know the group I ride with has "gone orange" in a big way.  I'm the only one still riding something else.  They've alreay had more break down's then me, but they also ride a lot more.   I'm waiting to see if that trend continues though.

Maybe someone else will kick in with some input on the KTM's

Jim.

Edited by JimDettman

I see, I guess test driving each would be the best way, ill probably just go with the 250x, I went from riding a ktm 105, so 250 would be a bit more, 450 in my opinion would be too much. I am 5'4, I've been on a 250 and can't flat foot, but I guess I'll get used too it. Even though the seat height between the 250 and 450 is the same, I'd probably stick with the 250. Ive never ridden the 250x and it would be a first time riding a 250. what bike would you recommend for. Enduro, and trails? And I only want a 4 stroke, reliability sucks in 2 strokes, but then again it all comes down to whether you take care and maintain your bike.

Edited by EnduroR18

Your concerns on the 250x are valid. Don't get me wrong, it is a great bike and with the correct mods it can do many things well. Stock out of the box it is a good trail bike for tight. twisty terrain. It can do mx but not really at home there. The good thing I have found is that most of the mods that make it better at mx also make it a better trail bike. On my x I have a 250r cam and higher compression piston. That with the r exhaust and proper jetting put it in the same conversation power wise as an r. There are many articles on here you can read about that. It revs quicker but still not like an r because of the weight of the flywheel and crankshaft.

The seat heights between most of the 250s and 450s is similar. The one thing the x has is the e start which does make it easier for shorter riders especially when you are balanced on the side of a mountain.

So, I just want to clarify some things from the previous posts.  When you say enduro, do you mean dual sport (On and off road legal bikes), trail riding, endurocross, or a combination of the three?

How tall are you?  Your last bike was a smaller super-mini two-stroke so was just wondering what big bikes you have been on before.

When you talk about needing power, any of the 250 four strokes will have more and better suited off-road power that the small MX bike did.  Most off-road riding isn't really about big power, but more about usable power.  So, depending on your experience and type of riding, a 250X is a pretty good choice that will have plenty of power for trails and dual-sport riding.

In regards to riding MX on a 250X, it can be done.  In fact, I am one of many who have turned in the bike in to a very capable track specimen.  Completed the CCC mods, AP mod, stage 3 cam, hi-comp piston, full exhaust, Wiseco clutch, revalved and sprung forks, ditch the kickstand and lights, and it actually works pretty well.  I was able to win a few motos this year in our 40+ class and held my own against the 450Fs.  The X began life using a lot of the same technology and parts as the first CRF250Rs.  In fact, many of those parts remain interchangeable with the current Xs and the old MX four strokes (I can't believe I said anything from 2004 is old).  Just realize the 250X can be versatile.

If you are coming off the super-mini, the 250X will be plenty of power for you.  I would take some time to get the feel of the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke before jumping in to a 450 or bigger.  I went from a smaller lighter bike and decided I wanted an XR600R.  I love that bike, but it now just sits in the garage collecting dust.  Weight will obviously be more on the 4 strokes and height will be something to deal with as well.  In either case, a 250X is a very good choice with a lot of options.  Just the basic CCC (closed course competition) and AP (accelerator pump) mods will give you all you need when riding the woods of South Carolina.

Also realize that 4 strokes are pretty reliable, but the 250X still requires maintenance to keep it running in top shape.  This should be your understanding for any bike you get.

Keep looking around, but I feel you would be happy with the Honda.  I have had mine for two years now and ridden it from Virginia to Washington state, on tracks such as Budds Creek and Tomahawk in West Virginia, ridden the trails of both states, and even slapped on a plate and mirror to get it on the road for a week when had my VFR down for repairs.  I think it is a great machine, but I am a little biased since I own one.

Edited by Go Big Red

Couple of points:

1. A CRF250x "uncorked" and jetted will have about the same HP as your 105.  I think though from what you've said so far, you'd be happy with that and maybe might want to gear down slightly.

2.  Test rides are ALWAYS the best - Riders are not the same (build), ride the same way (technique), and ride in the same places.   I'm fairly happy on my 250x, which is almost stock.   But like you, I'd love to be able to get a solid foot down.  I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and it's tippy toe at best.   I'd ride a lot better in the tough stuff if I could get a foot down.

3. On that last note, you can:

a. Get a thinner saddle

b. Get a lowering link (not recommend - throws the bikes geometry off because you can't raise the forks all that much).

c. get the suspension lowered front and back - this is the ticket, but it costs $$ (about $600 - 700).  There's quite a few that have hand this done and like it a lot.  You give up a few inches of suspension travel, but it makes it a lot more rideable.

4. 2's may be les reliable, but their also far cheaper to repair.   On a modern 4, a head/valve service will set you back $600.

5. As you say though, proper maintaince is critical.    Keep in mind that the CRF's are racing bikes and do require a lot of up keep.  You need to stay on top of them or it will get expensive fast.

Jim.

Thanks for the responses everyone, it did help a lot, I don't ride mx, I would just want a powerful bike, and by enduro, I do mean a combination of three, also I like the redbull Romanians enduro, hard enduro. I just wanted to know a bit more about the bike, that's all. I was just comparing it to the power of the r, to see it in perspective. But mostly like you said, dual sport, enduro, and trails. I'm 5'4 or 5'5. I would not want the lowering link because of the suspension geometry becoming different. I can get used to it. I just want a bike that's a bit faster than the ktm I had. Anyway guys thanks for the responses, It did help much. An honestly I think I'll just go ahead and get the X :)

Couple of points:

1. A CRF250x "uncorked" and jetted will have about the same HP as your 105.  I think though from what you've said so far, you'd be happy with that and maybe might want to gear down slightly.

2.  Test rides are ALWAYS the best - Riders are not the same (build), ride the same way (technique), and ride in the same places.   I'm fairly happy on my 250x, which is almost stock.   But like you, I'd love to be able to get a solid foot down.  I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam and it's tippy toe at best.   I'd ride a lot better in the tough stuff if I could get a foot down.

3. On that last note, you can:

a. Get a thinner saddle

b. Get a lowering link (not recommend - throws the bikes geometry off because you can't raise the forks all that much).

c. get the suspension lowered front and back - this is the ticket, but it costs $$ (about $600 - 700).  There's quite a few that have hand this done and like it a lot.  You give up a few inches of suspension travel, but it makes it a lot more rideable.

4. 2's may be les reliable, but their also far cheaper to repair.   On a modern 4, a head/valve service will set you back $600.

5. As you say though, proper maintaince is critical.    Keep in mind that the CRF's are racing bikes and do require a lot of up keep.  You need to stay on top of them or it will get expensive fast.

Jim.

Well, for number one, that isn't really correct.  a super-mini two stroke puts out about 20 to 23 HP.  That is the same rating as the CRF150R, and that bike was placed in that class specifically due to the HP that it makes.  Also, as we know, 2 stroke HP and 4 stroke HP is different in how it is delivered to the rear wheel.  Obviously, the 2 strokes like to run "on the pipe" at higher RPMs.  Not to mention the hit from the power band where you go from nothing to everything in a split second.  4 strokes will have a more linear power curve and a ton of low end torque compared to the 2 stroke.  There is a different riding style and different way to get that power to the ground.  One things we all agree on is that the 105SX and the 250X are completely different bikes.

And because of that, Jim really hit the nail on the head with the test ride with number 2.  Take that man's advice and get on something.  In fact, get on as many as you can and check them out.  Not just sitting, but riding.  Find some buddies and bug the heck out of them. 

And Jim is spot on with the cost to mod the suspension and keep it "workable".  We looked at a 250X for my brother, but he is only 5' 6" and a little bit.  Holy crap  We made the choice to go with a CRF150R since it allowed him to touch his feetto the ground.  He rides it with much more confidence and better ability.  Plus the power curve and torque on the 150R is pretty amazing.  You get on it, ride around, and you come back giggling because a bike that small shouldn't ride so "big".  Just look at the 2012 and later bikes as Honda fixed some issues with the powerband.  That bike is not only a good trail bike, but also an excellent MX platform.  However, you do need to be on the smaller/shorter side to make it really work as intended.

Without saying too much, I have felt the pain of number 4.  Can't blame anyone but myself on that one and yes, it will set you back a few bills.

So heck, I am really not sure we can really provide more information to make a decision.  Like Jim said, get in the saddle and let the butt meter tell you.  In either case, there are a lot of options for power once you do mak the choice.

Jim,

Stay strong and don't let your buddies make you drink the orange kool aid.  I am sure KTMs are great bikes, but it just seems to be a big fad right now.  

I need to retract some of that.  I have been told by a buddy of mine that the 105SX and other super minis can get near 30 HP with some mods to them.  My bad.  However, the delivery method between a 2 and 4 stroke is still very different.

Good gravy.  I was younger, but remember when the 250 two strokes were getting close to 30 HP and I thought that was amazing.

Thanks man, appreciate the response, I'm going to go test ride a couple tomorrow, I have a couple In my area that are for sale. And to be honest 2 strokes are good bikes, but I like the reliability of the 4 stroke. Sometimes the power doesn't even mean anything if you get out and the bike dies. Like I said I do like the 250x, it's a nice mix of everything, from what I've heard. Ill be able to confirm that after I ride one I guess. Anyway thanks all for the help, you don't know how much I appreciate it :)

Not to start the 2 vs 4 war but reliability is not the 4 strokes strong point in this discussion.  I love both and dont really have a preferance.  Just reallistically, the 2 stroke is typically more reliable and cheaper to repair. 

I will say the 250 4 stroke is about the easiest bike to ride.  The 125 2 stroke is fast but not really for cruising and takes work to keep it going fast.  Just the nature of the beast.  A 250 2 stroke is fast and easier to keep up on the pipe but is still harder to ride than a 250 4 stroke.

Another thing to consider is the type of terrian you will be riding.  If you are doing large long hill climbs with deep sand then the 250X will be lacking a bit in the power dept.  If you are looking at tight twisty terrain then the 250X is a great choice.

Good Luck

Yeah, I do like 2 stroke, but the 250x seems like a good bike, 2 strokes are light and agile but I really want low end torque, for enduro riding, on my 2 stroke ktm it bogged in deep sand, didn't really like that. And like I said it all comes down to whether you maintain your bike, sometimes 2 strokes outlast 4 strokes, and other times the other way around. I do like the ktm 200 I will say. Just right now I'm looking for a 4 stroke.

Couldn't get a test ride yet on the crf250x though, guys busy. Who knows maybe ill like the bike. Besides trail riding and screwing around with friends occasionally, do you guys think the 250x would be a good enduro bike? Let me know. And "condor74" you said in deep sand the 250x lacks power.. What if you put and exhaust on it, combined with a jd jet kit, airbox mod, and a stage 2 cam on it, would it still lack the power it needs? Please let me know, I want to learn a lot about it before I get it. Thanks guys.

Edited by EnduroR18

do you guys think the 250x would be a good enduro bike? Let me know.

I like it.  For tight woods, I prefer it over the 450x.  Feels a lot more nimble and it's narrower up by the tank.

Jim.

I heard a lot about it, how it's a good bike. But people keep saying its underpowered which I don't really see how, it's a 250, of course not a 450 but it's probably enough. And I'm guessing that power is hidden with all the factory specs and setting. You can probably unleash the beast with a couple mods. Jim you have a 450x and a 250x. How much more powerful is the 450?

I like it. For tight woods, I prefer it over the 450x. Feels a lot more nimble and it's narrower up by the tank.

Jim.

Will say In deep sand or long power robbing hill climbs the bike is lacking as any 250 4 stroke would be. Just the nature of the beast. Can you ride a 250 4stroke In the sand ? Sure but you will be taxing the motor quite a bit.