Sign in to follow this  

Storage ?

Depends on how long. We talking months or a year(s).....I store mine every (nebraska)winter, never once have I drained any fluids or used and additives.....never had any issues

just make sure u drain all the gas out the carb

What is the best way to 'drain' the carb. Do you shut gas valve off and run it until it dies then pull the drain on the bottom of the bowl?

What is the best way to 'drain' the carb. Do you shut gas valve off and run it until it dies then pull the drain on the bottom of the bowl?

yes that is exactly what i do to my 03 crf450r. turn the gas off run it out and take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and your ready for storage

sorry the bolt on the bottom of the carb

If you still can't decide what you want to do, just drain it into a clean jug, and use it next time you ride(but when you refill it, make sure you get all the air out.)

Some people put SeaFoam in the engine, drain the float bowl etc. A good thing to do is to get both wheels off the ground to not get flat spots on the tires, and to keep the suspension un-loaded. Change the oil before, and maybe even put some fuel stabilizer in the gas too. It really depends how long you store it for.

2 strokes benefit a little more from storage for a length of time, same with a carburated motor. For a 2 stroke, using an engine fogging spray with help so that the internals will not loose their oil coating and rust. For a carb, fuel, dirt and corrosion will ruin a carb, so draining all the fuel out, and then cleaning the carb from all debris will ensure proper function down the road.

A fuel injected 4 stroke doesn't really need much besides enough clean oil, and keeping the coolant fresh to avoid corrosion. Keeping bad gas out of the fuel system is a good idea as well, but having a tank full of treated gas would do the trick as well.

Yes but be sure the engine is cool when this is done.  Don't do this while the motor is warmed up, and don't rev up the bike to try and expel the fuel quickly.  When the fuel flow runs out, the mixture gets extremely lean for 5-10 secs, then the bike dies.  I've known guys who scored their cylinder walls by draining carb with the motor hot.

• Like 1

Yes but be sure the engine is cool when this is done. Don't do this while the motor is warmed up, and don't rev up the bike to try and expel the fuel quickly. When the fuel flow runs out, the mixture gets extremely lean for 5-10 secs, then the bike dies. I've known guys who scored their cylinder walls by draining carb with the motor hot.

Thanks for the tip. Luckily I think I will get a few more rides in before winter sets in. Cold drain without revving makes since. TT is an awesome place to learn these tricks of the trade!

• Like 1