Carbon fiber vinyl

Has anyone used any on your bike? I want to try some on my 07 airbox instead of graphics. I know 3M makes the Dinoc wrap for vehicles but I wonder how long it will stand up to riding.

Ok you beat me to it. I've been playing with this new "vinyl" CF. The stuff I used was a dry application. If you use heat with it it actually will shrink somewhat like the wrap-able stuff. Here is a couple picks from my car. The stuff I found was 12$ on amazon. 12" x 5 feet. Turned out great. I did have a problem with two rolls. One wasn't cut completely straight for about a foot, the other has a slight line down the middle. It's hard to see. We used some of that plasti dip spray able stuff to cover a gas tank on a 450x. Only the exposed areas that someone had tried to clean. They turned out great also. Lasted two rides no issues yet.

We were going to try some on our bikes next. The airbox cover would probably be good to do. I'm not sure about fenders yet or anything with multiple curves. Take a pic if you do.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382187835.559198.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382187867.839880.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382187889.839150.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382187807.567766.jpg

Edited by absynth01

Someone in the "Show your YZ's" thread has some on their tank and I believe I saw a carbon fiber airbox or covered one there. Too many pages to search thru right now,maybe I'll find it tomorrow and hit them with a PM.

Btw the name on amazon was"taro works" for the carbon stuff. I had 2 bad rolls but they just refunded the rolls tonight. I'll be getting more for some winter projects

Ok,could I trouble anyone for a tracing of unmounted airbox graphics you have or perhaps some full size scans? I figure this would be easier than trying to lay a whole piece down and then trim it. It's a 07 250 if anyone can help.

Do not use the dinoc. The adhesive is not sufficient enough and the vinyl isn't flexible enough. Go with the factory effex stuff, I've always used it and it's just like any other graphic.

KGMX, that's my plan now.The Dinoc didn't look tough enough when I saw it in person. If I can get some templates I think they will turn out pretty nice.

Covering the plastic tanks with any stick on stuff can cause the gas that escapes from the micro-holes in the plastic to make bubbles under it which will make the stick let loose, Ruining the whole cover.  that's why most YZ tank covers  have holes in the vinyl.  I think it is worse with pre-mix.

the 3m air release works great. Just hit ebay and find some. Lots of colors etc works great

Finally got it done.I used Factory Effex carbon look. Really the hardest part was tracing a template to use. It may have taken me 45 minutes to do both. I think it came out pretty sweet!

DSC01540.JPG

DSC01755.JPG

DSC01756.JPG

DSC01758.JPG

Edited by XRD4

The best way to do a template is with masking tape. Trace the edges, peel it off and stick it to your graphic sheet. Put it on the back side for the other side and you're done.

Found a pic of these carbon two piece yz 125/250 tank cover's on a spanish facebook site,but struggling to find out who actually makes/sell's them.image.jpg

Found a pic of these carbon two piece yz 125/250 tank cover's on a spanish facebook site,but struggling to find out who actually makes/sell's them.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Good spot, I tried to get some made in my last place of work but to be honest the guy was not really good enough. Should be a good market for them. Can't understand why no one has made them. It must be the biggest market for a single item possible. It would cover 13 years worth of two models. Huge potential. Keep hunting amigo.

Is that 3m stuff actual carbon fiber or is it just a print out?

Good spot, I tried to get some made in my last place of work but to be honest the guy was not really good enough. Should be a good market for them. Can't understand why no one has made them. It must be the biggest market for a single item possible. It would cover 13 years worth of two models. Huge potential. Keep hunting amigo.

Got my wife to message the guy (in spanish) and he said all he knew about them is they were made for a freestyle mx rider,but he did'nt know where or by who and for what rider!? Lol.

Shame really as they would do a much better job than the 3m carbon look tape stuff,and a much cheaper option to buying a carbon tank.also easy To change the tank back to stock when required,sell them on etc etc.

Finally got it done.I used Factory Effex carbon look. Really the hardest part was tracing a template to use. It may have taken me 45 minutes to do both. I think it came out pretty sweet!

I am pretty sure they sell it already cut for the airbox too.

Got my wife to message the guy (in spanish) and he said all he knew about them is they were made for a freestyle mx rider,but he did'nt know where or by who and for what rider!? Lol.

Shame really as they would do a much better job than the 3m carbon look tape stuff,and a much cheaper option to buying a carbon tank.also easy To change the tank back to stock when required,sell them on etc etc.

Had a carbon tank cover on my ktm 85 and the smallest bit if gas and it looked awful. Looked like it melted as if the effect just ran and left smudges around the fuel cap.

Had a carbon tank cover on my ktm 85 and the smallest bit if gas and it looked awful. Looked like it melted as if the effect just ran and left smudges around the fuel cap.

Where did you buy it?

Where did you buy it?

ebay

ebay

Just wondering if it was real carbon fibre or one of those "carbon look" one's.lot's of people seem run them nowaday's without that happening as far as i know.