WR250F/R Differences In Relation to Maintenance

What are the differences in components on each motorcycle that contribute to the difference in maintenance schedule? How much does each component affect that difference (what's more significant or less)? And why does each of these things make a difference?

I am really interested to learn what makes a motorcycle/engine combination so much more "tough" than another with the same CCs, and why. I would be very grateful for any information that could help me understand this better.

Jeremy

What is the maintenance schedule on the WR250R that the manual calls for?  I don't have an owners manual for the 250F but it's something like this.  Oil change: frequent, like 10 hours.  Clean air filter: frequent.  Valve clearance check: 20 hours.  Suspension bushings: grease yearly at least.  Fork oil: change every year.  Wash often.

Very different bikes.

One is a casual,play/trail bike, the other is a woods race bike. You are trying to compare a race car to a street car.

flyandride: The WRR has a very low maintenance schedule, more like an R6.

I know they are very different bikes and one is much more highly tuned. I want to know what makes the WRR so much more reliable: Is it the cams, pistons, flywheel, valves, springs, fuel mapping, pipe, oil cooling, engine cooling, riding style, gearing.. What are the actual differences that make the difference between the two and why?

I owned a 2008 WR-250R and a 2008 WR-250X (the motard version).

I owned a 2009 WR-250F.

I currently own and ride a 2002 WR-250F.

The bottom end of the WR-250R engine is noticeably larger and heavier-looking.

I doubt this is just to make room for a 6th gear in the transmission.

The WR-250R has noticeably more flywheel effect (feels like it has a heavier flywheel).

The WR-250R engine has noticeably less vibration, and is practically vibrationless compared to most off-road-only dirt bikes, even though a WR-250F doesn't have a vibration problem, itself.

The WR-250R doesn't rev quite as high before the rev limiter steps in, and power starts to taper off before that, as well.

The WR-250R makes a bit less power than an uncorked WR-250F - not a ton less, but less.

I believe the intended use of the bikes has mucho to do with what was decided to be written in their respective Owner's Manuals, and maybe even THE biggest factor for the large differences shown in their maintenance schedules.

A typical WR-250R rider would sh!t a brick if the salesman that sold him the bike advised him to change his engine oil every so many hours instead of so many thousand miles.

Of course, the very lax maintenance schedule of a bike ridden mainly on the street, such as a typical WR-250R, would be thrown out the window if somebody were to actually race it regularly off-road in all of that dirt, dust, water, and mud and rugged terrain that would tax the engine more. 

I don't know if the recommended 26,000 mile valve clearance check interval would still hold true for that kind of usage, even if it is a WR-250R.

Edited by YZEtc