Speedometer Calibration???'s

Trying to fit my speedo calibrator and I cant locate the plug to piggyback fit it into. Thought I had it, I found an identical one on the left hand side of the bike inside a black plastic sleeve along with 2 other plugs, but I dont think it is the right one cos the speedo still registers when is unplugged and the bike is rolled. Anyone know where the correct plug is located.... a pic would be great!

Cheers , jon

mine came out to be  -11.6%  according to the 12 O'clock labs website after I imputed data from my GPS and the bike. 

13/42 sprockets and a 4.50x18 rear tire 

Before I calibrated and with my mods ....  I could hit 88 mph on the speedo .... after calibration and I believe it to now be correct ....  I can now only hit 80 mph .... I may be able to squeeze a couple more but, 80 is about it. 

Edited by gnath9

Right, the install was an absolute arse. The calibrator just plugs into the speedo connector, piggyback style, but the connector is in the worst possible place to get too, kinda under the airbox, clipped to the top of the shock mount (its the blue plug). I found the only way to get at it was to remove the evap cannister but even that was a balls-ache cos the jubilee clip faced the wrong way go get at!

once it was connected it was a piece of cake to program, I was lucky enough to find a mobile speed trap the other day, (the ones that diplay your speed as you approach them), so after removing my plate I rode through it at 20, 30, 40 and 50. From this I worked out I was 13% too fast on standard tyres and 13/42 sprockets.

recalibrated it and tested it against the wifes car, seems to be right now, just need to find another speed trap somewhere to get an accurate reading.

• Like 4

I agree that the connector is a PITA to get to.   :banghead:   I was able to release the connector from the right side of the bike and then pulled it through on the left side to make the connections.  I used the gps total mileage vs trip meter miles to calculate my correction.  Mine calculated to a -11.1% correction factor with 14/45T gearing.  Programming is easy with the instruction that came with it.

• Like 1

I agree that the connector is a PITA to get to. :banghead: I was able to release the connector from the right side of the bike and then pulled it through on the left side to make the connections. I used the gps total mileage vs trip meter miles to calculate my correction. Mine calculated to a -11.1% correction factor with 14/45T gearing. Programming is easy with the instruction that came with it.

Why did you go with the 45 rear? Where do you typically ride?

14/45 gearing is the same as 13/42, but I wanted to have the option of also putting on a 14/48 and 13/48 for more technical off road riding with the same chain.  The stock chain length, (106 link) can be used with the 13/42 gearing.  I had to replace my chain to allow me to use the 14/48, 13/48, and the 14/45 options.  

This site can help you decide how gearing changes will change rpm and max speed.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Edited by dkappelm
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

So I installed the speed calibrator and used their calculator. Based off my setup it was -15.8, after doing GPS the bikes speedo was off 2mph. What should I set it to or a little help please

I think the best way is to run a GPS or an app on your phone then go for a ride somewhere you can hold it wide open for a length of time and remember what your speedo read as a maintained top speed ... then take the numbers from your GPS or app and enter those on the 12 O'Clock labs website.....  ?

mine came out to be -11.6% and I had 13/42's with a 4.50X18 IRC TR8 rear tire. Mine was spot on when driving past those speed indicator signs on the side of the road. 

13/40 sprockets here and I used a GPS and runs at multiple speeds up to 65mph to calculate my error percentage was 10.3% the problem with the online calculator for the DRD is it does not factor in the stock error present in the speedometer.

That's why doing it the way we have done is the only way to get it right ....  ?

I think my speedo was off about 5mph going 40 miles per hour from the factory by the feed back I got from the speed signs in the neighborhood .... 

• Like 1

Funny thing is I have been self auto correcting for the standard Japanese speedometer error for so long I keep doing it and have to catch myself on the "L" and slow down.

Not used to having a dead accurate speedometer

I have been lazy and not recalibrated since going to 13/44's ... :blink:

Can I just do it like I did the first time or will I need to reset and start over ... :unsure: