Sign in to follow this  

Oils, lubes and cleaners

Over the years we try everything and settle on what works for us,

Please share what you use for others.

Chains, I use Dumond Tech oil

Axle grease, Silkolene RG2 Pro

Air Filter, Belray oil and Maxima cleaner

Electrical, all contact cleaners work for me

Degreaser, just ran out but think it was Maxima, worked awesome on my truck too!

Bolts, anti seize on most everything.

Looking for something to use on my brake pins and rear caliper slide?

Also going to start greasing wheel bearing properly by removing the cover exposing the bearing but if it turns into a pain forget it.

Edited by DALLASDRZ

As general purpose grease, i use the white Molykote, in fact i have no more of it so i will buy a generic white marine grease.

I don't know what kind of bearings use my 2013 but on the 2006 i always used SKF 6005 on the rear for the cost of 4€ each (with spacer mod) so due to the little cost i never did the proper maintenance.

Don't remember about the front.

For general cleaning this stuff is the bomb. It smells good, cleans very well and leaves a nice sheen on the plastics. It's the best stuff I've found and it's cheap. It's on sale at for $7 a gallon with a spray bottle right now...usually it's about $10 like simple green.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Resolve-Laundry-Stain-Remover-22-fl-oz/21777410

For bad stained aluminum I'll hit it with some aluminum brightener from NAPA but you have to be careful to not leave it on too long . Still it works well.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Aluminum-Brightener-Cleaner-32-oz/_/R-MCR1458_0410678680

..and here's the same old vid I put of my bikes after they've been cleaned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXgY-SHvcU

I use a bunch of different stuff as far as grease, oil etc. I think I use Belray waterproof grease but I have used some walmart supertech waterproof grease too.. Walmart has a bunch of great stuff for cheap..and good quality.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

For general cleaning this stuff is the bomb. It smells good, cleans very well and leaves a nice sheen on the plastics. It's the best stuff I've found and it's cheap. It's on sale at for $7 a gallon with a spray bottle right now...usually it's about $10 like simple green.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Resolve-Laundry-Stain-Remover-22-fl-oz/21777410

For bad stained aluminum I'll hit it with some aluminum brightener from NAPA but you have to be careful to not leave it on too long . Still it works well.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Aluminum-Brightener-Cleaner-32-oz/_/R-MCR1458_0410678680

..and here's the same old vid I put of my bikes after they've been cleaned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOXgY-SHvcU

I use a bunch of different stuff as far as grease, oil etc. I think I use Belray waterproof grease but I have used some walmart supertech waterproof grease too.. Walmart has a bunch of great stuff for cheap..and good quality.

The last bike in the video. The fork tubes are bent! :goofy:

Actually, those bikes are really nice. I like the Hand guards on the Beta. Good size for cold weather or slop.

Edited by ballisticexchris
  • Like 1

The last bike in the video. The fork tubes are bent! :goofy:

Actually, those bikes are really nice. I like the Hand guards on the Beta. Good size for cold weather or slop.

Thanks!!! but  Ahh ya caught me a little!! I went back and looked!.. it's just the funky camera slight fish eye effect.. plus those yellow fork guards have been hammered and refixed a bunch of times  ....not to mention the machete sheath kind of throws you off.  Yea actually the handguards are actually cheapo composite plastic cycras that keep getting blasted and I just push them down and remount. Then I bought some moose racing foam mudguards that zipty and velcro over those. To me it doesn't look good but it sure protects my hands from brush and trees etc. It's awesome as I charge through grass and brush and I'm seriously protected compared to before. I keep thinking I'll buy some probend quality hand guards but just haven't. My dealer put it in my head that the composite ought to give more and reduce vibration etc.. Maybe it does but it's kind of shitty. ..I have to say it has taken a multitude of hits and crashes and I just loosen the screws ..remount and they've been good to go  so for $50 I sure can't complain.. I'm actually going to use some of that cleaner and fluids now. I was supposed to ride and possibly ride the 14' 300 rr Beta that my dealer just got but when I got to my bike there was a side case oil leak. ..So instead of riding I will be working and cleaning my bike. I don't want to worry about oil loss. I think it's the ignition side side cover gasket which shouldn't be a big deal. I also just hung with my family and ate pumpkin pancakes..pretty nice.  I've also been using meguires plastic polish , regular meguires cleaner wax.  Really I do just try a whole bunch of Walmart products or should I say stuff sold at walmart. as far as  cleaning fluids, oil , grease etc.. Usually they just have the better price. The Resolve spray and wash stuff is the main cleaner though. That stuff isn't as agressively acidic as simple green and other cleaners which are still good  but to me not as great as Resolve. I think the key also is to have a wide variety of brushes to get to the stained stuff deep. or just use a power washer but stay away from seals and areas where you don't want water pushed in. I leave the spray and wash on for just a little while to let it soak and let the enzymes do some work.  :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Dallas: I repack my sealed bearings a couple or more times a year by removing one sealing cover. I do not replace it after doing this and the exposed side of course goes to the inside, some people prefer to replace the seal. To pack I hand pack it so as to not dislodge the outer cover. To remove the seal I just use my pocket knife and remove from the inner side of the seal - they come off easily and if you are careful it does not hurt the seal.

Dallas: I repack my sealed bearings a couple or more times a year by removing one sealing cover. I do not replace it after doing this and the exposed side of course goes to the inside, some people prefer to replace the seal. To pack I hand pack it so as to not dislodge the outer cover. To remove the seal I just use my pocket knife and remove from the inner side of the seal - they come off easily and if you are careful it does not hurt the seal.

Do you remove the bearing every time and what about the rear with two one one side.

On my drz I just replaced them once a year, guess if I new how to properly grease them I would have saved $.

I remove them, not difficult with the right tools - just don't beat on the center section so you do not distort the bearing balls or seat. Also when you remove them and after you clean them you can feel if a bearing is getting rough, I then replace all the bearings in that wheel. 

Just bought Ducan Snappy Clean, this stuff is amazing, mixed at 20:1 spray it on wait 5 min and hose it off and bike looks new, $65 for a 5 gallon pail.

With heavier build up like chain lube or 2t spooge I use a it strait with a brush.

New bearings I always pop the seals out and fill them with grease and then pack grease in behind the dust seals to keep the water out