Sign in to follow this  

Worst injuries from minor crash?

My husband and I are still flabbergasted that I shattered my tibial plateau while on a straight, flat, dirt road going maybe 20-25pmh. I didn't fly. I didn't even hit the ground until I stepped down on the broken leg. (At that point, I dropped like a sack of potatoes.) This was my first season, and maybe my 6-8th ride. My right leg is now my $70k leg.

My husband 's been riding for 20 years and rides with people of all ages and has never seen such a bad injury from such an underwhelming crash.

Am I just all kinds of talented?

You're not the only one.  I stopped to move a branch and my bike rolled forward and fell on me.  Tore ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus and crushed the end of bone.  Could have bought a couple new bikes with what it's cost me.  

I was goin down a steep downhill first gear with with brakes on you could've ran faster then I was goin and front tire kicked out on a rock and fell off the bike and  put my knuckle out threw the palm of my hand and tore a bunch of legiments in my hand.

Worst injury I ever heard of was a kid on a 65 tipped over on the starting line hit his head on a rock and died.

Another that I saw happen was a maybe 10 mph low-side on a downhill that left a kid pissed off.  He got back up, rode to my truck and said he was probably done for the day.  Over the next 20 minutes, he started to complain that he was feeling a little sick, but not too bad.  I decided to pack up and hit the road for home.  Ten miles down the road, he started to drift off to sleep.  My son and I decided to keep him awake.  After another ten miles, he started to drool and slur his speech.  By the time we got home twenty minutes later he was foaming at the mouth and had no idea where he was.  My first experience with a concussion.  Ambulance arrived, he was admitted to the hospital and it took weeks for him to get back to normal.  

Another one that happened around here was a young mom hopped on a 4 wheeler without a helmet.  Just goofing around she fell off the quad, hit her head, and died.  

As for me, the worst I have ever been hurt on a bike was a front brake lock-up on grass caused by using the wrong brake lever.  It pushed the master cylinder plunger in by about 1mm, but it was enough to put me on the ground and in surgery to fix my broken self.  If I had not been wearing a helmet, I would be dead.  Considering the number of times I have taken a bike for a test-spin without a helmet (freaking stupid) I got lucky that day.  So did my son, because his first jump out of the gate where he would have been practicing that day is followed by a right turn into a fast back straight.  No crash by me would have meant a big problem for him.  I was going about as fast as you were, but when that brake locked, I was down instantly.  Cost of the two hospitals, transportation from one to the other, diagnostics and surgery has still not been totaled up.  Crazy what can happen when you don't expect it.

Take away:  Always wear a helmet.  Those guys in the pits that drive around with no helmets and chicks on the back of the bike don't seem to appreciate this concept.  Your post might help.  Good.  Thank you.

Nothing like Dragon's... but.. I was climbing a hill up Blacks Creek outside boise a few years ago, first ride on the new KTM..

SO i'm taking it easy, climb this one rutted hill about 2/3 the way up I stop, turn around and push off to go down hill. foot got

caught skid plate hit just above boot.. snap snap  Fibula broken Tibia broken and sticking out my leg.. uggh   Chopper ride to

Boise, summer wasted, still have titanium in the leg (gonna get removed next summer)...  so basically doing 0 MPH.

Buddy of mine tipped over going like 2 mph and tore something in his knee. He is going to have it worked on in December (he said it was only a slight tear and the docs said he could wait on the surgery)

As for me, the worst I have ever been hurt on a bike was a front brake lock-up on grass caused by using the wrong brake lever. .

My crash was a result of grabbing my front brake. I was going to pass my son to get up to my husband to tell him we needed to break to lecture my son about stopping for no reason in the middle of a trail. I had just done the same thing 40 yards back because he stopped to look at something. That time, I SuperManned across the road, but was fine. I panicked, because who wants to run into/over their kid.

I'm laid up for 3-6 months while my tibial plateau heals with my fancy steel plate in there. I'm a stay home Mom, so I'm not losing income, but my husband missed three days of pay while I was in the hospital. My mom has missed a few days of work and had to change her schedule to get my kids to school for me, and my grandparents are visiting until I can be independent again.

At this point, I'm not sure I'm getting on a bike again. I'm also not sure I want my kids riding. We're sticklers for safety gear, but no gear would have prevented my injury. I can't imagine watching my kid go through this. I'm prone to random crying due to pain and frustration. I knew going into riding that I could get hurt. I figured I was relatively safe not doing technical stuff and not going fast. I certainly didn't expect a steel plate becoming necessary. Maybe bruises and sprains.

Three ER visits, an ambulance ride, 5 hour surgery, three days in the hospital...

I've only seen the hospital charges from one. That was $57,740. I haven't even gotten the bills from the first or third ER visits, the surgeon, or the ambulance company.

• Like 1

My crash was a result of grabbing my front brake. I was going to pass my son to get up to my husband to tell him we needed to break to lecture my son about stopping for no reason in the middle of a trail. I had just done the same thing 40 yards back because he stopped to look at something. That time, I SuperManned across the road, but was fine. I panicked, because who wants to run into/over their kid.

I'm laid up for 3-6 months while my tibial plateau heals with my fancy steel plate in there. I'm a stay home Mom, so I'm not losing income, but my husband missed three days of pay while I was in the hospital. My mom has missed a few days of work and had to change her schedule to get my kids to school for me, and my grandparents are visiting until I can be independent again.

At this point, I'm not sure I'm getting on a bike again. I'm also not sure I want my kids riding. We're sticklers for safety gear, but no gear would have prevented my injury. I can't imagine watching my kid go through this. I'm prone to random crying due to pain and frustration. I knew going into riding that I could get hurt. I figured I was relatively safe not doing technical stuff and not going fast. I certainly didn't expect a steel plate becoming necessary. Maybe bruises and sprains.

Three ER visits, an ambulance ride, 5 hour surgery, three days in the hospital...

I've only seen the hospital charges from one. That was $57,740. I haven't even gotten the bills from the first or third ER visits, the surgeon, or the ambulance company.

Thanks for sharing your story.  Sorry for the pain you are going through and hope you get well soon.  No coaching at this point will make you feel better, but stopping a bike is something worth practicing.  For my kids, start and random "emergency" stop drills were mandatory.  That's the only thing I can think of that could have reduced the odds of your accident.  

As for Mom riding a bike, I can't think of many things cooler than that.  I hope you recover in full, physically, emotionally and financially, and that you get back up on that bike again.  When that happens, be sure to check back and ask for advice about stopping.  You will get a feel for using both brakes by practicing.  

As for me, I have not gotten back on a bike after my crash.  In part because I am shy about it, to be honest.  In all of my years of riding, I have never been put to the ground so violently and unexpectedly as a front brake lock-up.  In other words, I get where you are coming from.  I will give you the same advice I give myself.  Learn from your mistake, but get back up on the bike when you can.  Practice using both brakes to stop and learn the limits of yourself and your bike in a safe environment.  Then, when an emergency happens, your brian and body will do what needs to be done.  

Looking forward to more stories about minor crashes and major impacts.  They all have lessons attached to them.  Keep in touch.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be great if we'd all take our own advice? :p We use yogurt tubs spray painted florescent colors as cones and set up drills in the back yard for my son. Obstacle crossing, braking, ruts, etc. He drilled hours a day all summer. He's admittedly a better rider than I am. He's not quite 7.

Have I ever gotten my bike out and drilled in the yard? Nope. I ran into the apple tree the one time I tried to ride in the yard.

I'd like to take the MSF Dirt Bike School course if I get back on the bike. I'd also like to invest an a two-way radio system for communication between at least my husband and me. I should be pretty well healed up by next spring.

I've been consistently the tail of our group, there to pick up pieces and make sure no one runs into the little guys coming up on us on woods trails. I have e-start and don't have a small child riding between my knees. It's easier fir me to stop and help my son if he gets stuck or falls. Husband rides at the head to let on-coming riders know that there's newbs on the trail and navigate.

It was scary coming off and sliding across the trail. It was terrifying coming off and breaking my leg a mile from the nearest spot the car could access. I had to ride on the back of my bike with my husband controlling it for a mile just to get to where he could pick me up with the car.

What was most astounding to me was the number of fellow riders who looked right at me and kept going. I was sitting there, with both kids, and my bike and a little bike, clearly injured. One boot and half of my pant leg were off. My leg was wrapped in an Ace bandage with an ice pack. Only ONE other rider stopped to see if I was okay while my husband rode back to the trailer.

We will never go out without the first aid kit. This is the first year my husband has carried one. I assembled it, bought him a nice riding backpack with a hydration bottle, and insist that he take the kit.

Two weeks prior to my injury, he went out with his brothers at he same place. His younger brother sprained his ankle, he sprained his MCL. Bad mojo there!

I was laying on the floor under my 450R (on a bike stand) cleaning mud from the lower front frame after a day at the track.. kids ran through my shop playing and knocked the bike off the stand. The handlebars fell on my chest. Broke two ribs, severe bruising, and pissed blood for a week.

I was watching a thousand ways to die the other day & realized that at rest we are up to our necks in potential calamity, so we might as well go trail riding & enjoy life a little bit before calamity strikes again lol

• Like 1

I was watching a thousand ways to die the other day & realized that at rest we are up to our necks in potential calamity, so we might as well go trail riding & enjoy life a little bit before calamity strikes again lol

I'm fine with that in theory, but I'd hate to watch my young child suffer (or worse) because I allowed and encouraged risky behavior. This sucks in many ways, but I'm an adult and wasn't trusting anyone else to mitigate danger in my life.

Thanks for sharing your story.  Sorry for the pain you are going through and hope you get well soon.  No coaching at this point will make you feel better, but stopping a bike is something worth practicing.  For my kids, start and random "emergency" stop drills were mandatory.  That's the only thing I can think of that could have reduced the odds of your accident.  

I learned to ride in Baja where there is "a cow around every corner", well... almost every corner, sometimes it's an abandoned car ;) I guess that's why I'll ride nasty single track anyday over dangerous slippery dirt road. I practiced my "Holy Cow" emergency stops over and over until they became a practiced reaction versus a knee jerk reaction.

Having said that, like was said, crap happens and sometimes in unbelievably simple circumstances even if the right/not risky things were done. So, really it comes down to trying to decide whether you think this was one of those one off flukes or do you think it was a common occurrence for the situation. The problem with thinking that it's a common outcome is that you then have to decide if that can also apply to most sports and then do you fear them all for yourself and maybe, even more importantly, for your family? For instance, Tibial plateau fractures in skiing are not at all rare but a lot of people ski and never get more than a boo-boo here and there. I personally mostly worry about getting seriously hurt in a car accident (and therefore own a big ass SUV, buy good tires, don't drive like a maniac and on extreme weather days, etc..) but in the end, you can only reduce your odds.

What extra really sucks for you, and is where I feel extremely fortunate as a Canadian, is that I wouldn't have the same emergency bills that you have. While we have a ton wrong with our Medical System where it does excel, in my opinion, is for emergency care (for the most part). Without a doubt the cost of injuries issue alone makes all those other decisions tougher to make. Good luck with your recovery and I hope something positive comes from it during you journey.

How is your guys medical system over there? 'Down Under' in Australia it is good, e.g. idk how much you pay for an ambo ride, we pay 700 IF WE CAN AFFORD IT, and being dirt bike riders most can, but it is all rated on how much you get paid per year as to what you pay.

also, I cant see how an ER visit would cost almost $58k, that seems crazy, ours is free! we may have to wait a few hours but for free, it beats 50k any day! I hope you all have insurance, if not, either come to Aussie or get it! :) if you can afford a bike, you can afford insurance.

Edited by millak

I just did my tibial plateau to. Knees are the worst, but hopefully you rethink your decision to quit riding.

How is your guys medical system over there? 'Down Under' in Australia it is good, e.g. idk how much you pay for an ambo ride, we pay 700 IF WE CAN AFFORD IT, and being dirt bike riders most can, but it is all rated on how much you get paid per year as to what you pay.

also, I cant see how an ER visit would cost almost $58k, that seems crazy, ours is free! we may have to wait a few hours but for free, it beats 50k any day! I hope you all have insurance, if not, either come to Aussie or get it! :) if you can afford a bike, you can afford insurance.

The $58k was for 5 hrs in the OR, the $18k plate in my leg, three days in recovery, the whole kit and kaboodle.

It does not include the FIRST ER-the one closest to the riding area, or the ambulance ride from there to the trauma center. I could have taken a private vehicle, but would have sat in triage for many more hours without pain meds, and once splinted, my leg didn't fit in the car.

There's also a third ER visit a few days after coming home because I had symptoms that fit with a DVT.

We do have decent health insurance, but I fully expect them to refuse coverage of an injury sustained during a risky activity. We're responsible for 20%, up to a few grand. But they always have done thing or other they won't cover for some reason.

It's a purely emotional hesitation to let my kids keep riding. They are my babies. I've watched my older son recover from minor surgery. My stone cold heart can't handle watching him go through a serious injury, and it certainly can't handle him dying as a result of an activity that we pushed. We have groomed our boys to ride from day one.

My husband is very logical and has been riding for 20 years. He's never known anyone that even got a serious injury riding dirt or street. He's ridden with a variety of riders with various skills and bad habits. I'm the first horrendously unlucky rider he's known. I only rode EIGHT times! In his logical mind, the risk is very low as long as you take appropriate precautions with gear, riding style, location, etc. He quit riding street when our son was born because the risk wasn't worth leaving our son an orphan. On road, it's less about your skill and more about the idiots around you.

Edit To Add: I saw the xrays and CT scans today at a post-op appointment. One horizontal break, and FOUR vertical breaks. :blink:

Edited by JBrothers

I was riding down a flat rode breaking a new motor on my YZ, taking it real easy on the throttle trying to be nice to the new motor . My buddy was 100-200 feet in front of me doing the same speed (dont forget were on a flat rode) I looked ahead to my buddy I looked to my left for a quick second and looked back but when I looked back it was just intime to see a huge bolder infront of me and yell O@#$%% oveer the bars bike lands on me broke both collar bones my sternum and 4 ribs a bad concussion and a sore back.. The bike broke me in..

OMG.....i am 4 months in recovery for the same thing ! except my "accident" was a lot less than yours .......how is your healing ? 

i just looked at your post date.......mine happened oct 7 

Edited by sjsingle1