'04 XR650L Developed a Smoking problem :(

Went on great 3 day trip in East Tn.. day 2... the bike developed a smoking problem. Didn't loose any power (that I could notice) and starts and runs just as it did prior.

The bike now eats oil, smokes enough to cause zero visibility to the people behind me :)

Could it be as simple as needing new rings if im not experiencing and power loss? Im the second owner and the bike currently has 4500 miles.

Anyone recommend a shop/home mechanic in the Nashville, tn area?

thanks -

If it's running decent with no issues except smoke then I would suspect the valve seals or guides

Went on great 3 day trip in East Tn.. day 2... the bike developed a smoking problem. Didn't loose any power (that I could notice) and starts and runs just as it did prior.

The bike now eats oil, smokes enough to cause zero visibility to the people behind me :)

Could it be as simple as needing new rings if im not experiencing and power loss? Im the second owner and the bike currently has 4500 miles.

Anyone recommend a shop/home mechanic in the Nashville, tn area?

thanks -

My XR250 destroyed Mobil 1 15W-50 in 650 miles.  It still shifted smooth but the oil suffered viscosity breakdown after running hard through twenty miles of sand wash. For the next 300 miles it burned a lot of oil. 

I changed the oil and the smoking disappeared. 

What oil are you running?