Rear sprocket bolts

I'm having some trouble getting the bolts off my rear sprocket . I've heard of people breaking them ,stripping the allen side ,etc. Any tricks or tools any of you guys used to get this done would be appreciated . I haven't ruined any parts yet . Thanks in advance . :banghead:

Spray some PB blaster and use a 6 sided good quality hex socket preferably with the flank drive technology so it doesn't round the edges.  Also don't try and turn the allen side, just use the hex to spin the nut off the bolt.

Yup. Just hold the head tight with the allen key and undo the nut 1st

Thanks Guys , I've got a new long handle 6mm allen wrench but it still won't hold the pressure I need to get them off . Going to the hardware store to see if I can get a better tool .

I read some where where a guy left the wheel on the bike. Then he put a block of wood under the allen wrench so he didn't have to hold it. Had some one step on the back brake while using a good ratchet on the nut side.

And when a bolt or nut is tight, it's always best to hit the wrench with a big hammer rather than just using torque and pushing as hard as you can. Things break when trying to loosen with force, but seem to break free with a quick blow of a hammer.

I've done everything you mentioned Crfsfan , just having the most trouble holding the allen side steady .

Try putting liquid wrench on it, and use an impact driver.

Maybe a little heat but remember these are heat treated parts ok??

I got 3 of them off and drilled the other 3 mother #%#@*! out :rant: .      I put all new bolts and nuts on with my new 42 tooth sprocket and went for a ride . It was awesome. :ride:  I've been working on bikes for 50 years and have'nt come across anything like this for a while. Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and support. :thumbsup:

Awesome. I'm glad you got them. Nice work.

I got 3 of them off and drilled the other 3 mother #%#@*! out :rant: .      I put all new bolts and nuts on with my new 42 tooth sprocket and went for a ride . It was awesome. :ride:  I've been working on bikes for 50 years and have'nt come across anything like this for a while. Thanks to everyone who gave ideas and support. :thumbsup:

I have read reports from experienced dirt riders who went thru the same crap you just did ... :rant:

about the only bad things I hear about this bike is the inconsistency of the torque of the bolts. Some are loose .... others are way too tight ...  :banghead:

It is a very good idea to check all your bolts on this bike ...  :prof:

Were you able to use the stock chain on the 13t-42 set up???? :ride: :ride:

I am running stock chain on 13/42

I'm using the stock chain , it came out on mine about in the middle of the adjustment area :thumbsup: 

I am running stock chain on 13/42

I too have 13/42's with the stock chain.

I too have 13/42's with the stock chain.

Ooh exciting, can I join the gang?! Got a 13 on already & have a Renthal 42 waiting to be fitted!

Ooh exciting, can I join the gang?! Got a 13 on already & have a Renthal 42 waiting to be fitted!

Why yes ..... Yes you can !!! ......  :goofy:  

Don't forget to use the secret knock when you stop by the clubhouse ....  :lol:

Why yes ..... Yes you can !!! ......  :goofy:  

Don't forget to use the secret knock when you stop by the clubhouse ....  :lol:

Sweet! Was I supposed to use my left hand or right for the knock?  :ph34r:

Sweet! Was I supposed to use my left hand or right for the knock?  :ph34r:

as long as you bring ....  :cheers:  it won't matter ....  :wacko:

Wish I saw this topic yesterday. :banghead:

Also stripped 3 bolt heads and had to have them removed in a shop. Ordered new from Partzilla.

With hindsight, I'd now say, loosen them while the bike is on the ground, use copious amounts of WD and get an indestructible allen key for holding the bolt heads in place. Hammering the nut free might help as well, unless it breaks first.