Rear sprocket bolts

Wish I saw this topic yesterday. :banghead:

Also stripped 3 bolt heads and had to have them removed in a shop. Ordered new from Partzilla.

With hindsight, I'd now say, loosen them while the bike is on the ground, use copious amounts of WD and get an indestructible allen key for holding the bolt heads in place. Hammering the nut free might help as well, unless it breaks first.

It seems rather random as to whether they'll strip or not...I've changed my rear sprocket three times and lost two bolts in the process...I did a friend of mines and all of his came undone with no issues at all.

I loosen them on the nut side first while the bike is still on the floor.

• Like 1

It seems rather random as to whether they'll strip or not...I've changed my rear sprocket three times and lost two bolts in the process...I did a friend of mines and all of his came undone with no issues at all.

I loosen them on the nut side first while the bike is still on the floor.

I've changed rear sprockets 3 times so far and haven't stripped an Allen head out yet. I used a 3/8 rachet with the correct 3/8 drive allen  socket. On the nut I used a box end wrench and while holding the rachet tight, I whacked the wrench with a rubber hammer to break the nut loose. Only one attempted to strip the 1st time I took it off. I guess I got lucky!

do not turn allen key, just the nut on the other side. Allen key just to hold it in place.Coke or WD40 will help too.

I must have been one of the lucky ones. I changed my rear sprocket with out any problems. I used a allen socket on my rachet. Just make sure you have a metric allen.

Edited by CRFool

I have a feeling on the earlier versions they were using the equivalent of Loctite Red...the later ones they switched to Loctite Blue. Even with the bolt turning freely you couldn't get the nut off the bolt...a bit of heat would have done the trick but didn't want to risk that.

Is there any info on torque settings for these bolts?

my RMZ450 sprocket bolts take 23 lbs. not the same bike I know. But all the damn same as far as I'm concerned.
  • Like 1

Much obliged, I think I'll take it to a shop to get it properly done. Don't want to risk a sprocket flying off..

Here's a temp solution till I get new bolts. Got it machined to fit a 11mm wrench. I hope it holds tight.

20161106_073358.jpg

20161106_073427.jpg

Edited by crfreak13
  • Like 2

Your going places. I truly like that idea and I might use it next time my sprockets need to be changed.

• Like 1