Sign in to follow this  

Doing suspension work on a tight budget...

I weight about 129 pounds with jeans, shoes and clothes.  I ride a '09 YZ250F with stock suspension.

My fork seal started to leak so I figured while getting it repaired I'll have the springs changed for my weight.  I'm  a beginner/novice rider, I'm decent enough to jump all or almost all the jumps on the track.  I have never had suspension for my weight, so this will be the first time. My question is:

Is changing my springs enough, or is it going to be pointless without revalving? 

Springs will be more then enough. Because of your lack of finances and skill, I would search on ebay for used springs as you can find them pretty cheap. The SSS suspension is the best on the business......

• Like 2

Springs will be more then enough. Because of your lack of finances and skill, I would search on ebay for used springs as you can find them pretty cheap. The SSS suspension is the best on the business......

That's what I was thinking, but you know how the hype is around the pits--just had to make sure.

Honestly, I don't think I'm even good enough for the springs to probably even make a difference.

Springs/seals are plenty to just get started.  I'm up in Ventura county but I can go through them for you pretty inexpensively.

Springs make a big difference if you are significantly lighter/heavier than an average rider, which you are.

I always see idiots spending $500 on exhaust, much better spent on suspension.

Learn to work on it yourself and you will save thousands.

• Like 1

I've never had suspension set up for me, years ago when I use to ride I was riding a 125 and KX250F on stock suspension weighing 105-115.  Everyone has been telling me I should at least get the springs changed, and I always figured I'm not fast enough to really make anything matter probably.  But after I softened my stock suspension, I felt a slight difference in going through the ruts, it was easier for to keep my front wheel in without it popping out of the rut and I had to REALLY turn the rear shock to finally get 100MM sag.

I can't wait until I ride my bike with the new suspension, someone was telling me that changing my springs would be pointless without revalving it (and I figured as much that springs would be most important, and at my skill level it would not make that much of a difference).  Is $355 a good price for fork springs, shock spring, fork & dust seals, oil and labor?

After I get this done I am going to youtube up as much as I can about suspension.

Prices: Factory Connection will be $100 (or less) for fork springs, and same for shock spring. So $200 for springs. Dust & fork seals sold by the set from the dealership are about $20 each set and you'll need 2 sets. So $40 for dust & fork seals or CHEAPER if you go aftermarket. Oil.. You will need at least 3 quarts. Maxima is about $10 per quart, but some others are MUCH more expensive. So  let's say $40-$60 for oil. $300 in parts.. So $355 with the labor is a very good deal! Heck recharging the rear shock with nitrogen locally cost me $37 JUST FOR THE NITROGEN CHARGE.

Prices: Factory Connection will be $100 (or less) for fork springs, and same for shock spring. So $200 for springs. Dust & fork seals sold by the set from the dealership are about $20 each set and you'll need 2 sets. So $40 for dust & fork seals or CHEAPER if you go aftermarket. Oil.. You will need at least 3 quarts. Maxima is about $10 per quart, but some others are MUCH more expensive. So let's say $40-$60 for oil. $300 in parts.. So $355 with the labor is a very good deal! Heck recharging the rear shock with nitrogen locally cost me $37 JUST FOR THE NITROGEN CHARGE.

I went over there today and he brought up a price of 522, then I reminded him of our conversation and he came back down to 355, but he thought long and hard about it. PM me if you want to know what company, they are very reputable.

Get your Owners manual out and read it very carefully concerning susp tuning. If the Yamaha manual is not good borrow a friends Honda manual. Same theory with both. Read it again. Read it again. Then dedicate a full day or more just going thru all the steps tuning your stock stuff. Bring your book to the track and make notes. I'll bet you can get the stock stuff very close to perfect and save a lot of money. And doing this will teach you how to adjust what you have as you get faster. It will be an on going thing as you progress. Good Luck.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Get your Owners manual out and read it very carefully concerning susp tuning. If the Yamaha manual is not good borrow a friends Honda manual. Same theory with both. Read it again. Read it again. Then dedicate a full day or more just going thru all the steps tuning your stock stuff. Bring your book to the track and make notes. I'll bet you can get the stock stuff very close to perfect and save a lot of money. And doing this will teach you how to adjust what you have as you get faster. It will be an on going thing as you progress. Good Luck.

Everyone has just been saying that I need to at least change my springs for my weight, that it will help me through my turns and whoops because the stock suspension is too stiff. I always thought that softening the suspension will be sufficient since I'm no pro or even close to one for it to even make a significant difference. I had it done for the first time ever, picked up my suspension earlier today. So I'll see how it goes when I ride.

Yep, without the proper springs nothing else will work properly. Just be aware you may still need to adjust(fine tune) the clickers and oil level (forks) to get things to fit your comfort level. Still need to read the susp adj info in your manual.

• Like 2

Although I'd love to sell everyone on valving (hey it's my job!), you can make your bike MUCH, MUCH better by just having fresh (and a quality) oil, proper spring rates, and setting your sag.  You can get your suspension BETTER with valving, but just proper springs and a fresh quality oil will really help.

If you are pricing springs, feel free to shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com with your make/model/year and your weight and I can get you setup with a quote along with the TTalk discount for all members here.

Suspension isn't just about going fast, it's about comfort and safety as well.  Of course, if you are comfortable and know how your bike is going to re-act, you'll go faster as well.

Yep, without the proper springs nothing else will work properly. Just be aware you may still need to adjust(fine tune) the clickers and oil level (forks) to get things to fit your comfort level. Still need to read the susp adj info in your manual.

Thank you. I got my suspension back, haven't had the opportunity to ride with them yet though.

I set my sag (not in my gear but wearing 15 pounds in an otherwise empty bag.

My sag is at 102 mm and my static sag came to be 52mm as my locknut is barely preloading the rear shock.

Obviously they put in the wrong spring rate in the back, right?

My friend who rides the same bike, weighs the same but has more experience and better riding ability received a 4.5kg spring rate and I got a 4.7.. We took ours in at the same time together to a quality company. Should I have the spring changed again or should I just ride it like it is and maybe it'll break in a little and I can bring that static sag down?

I think you need a lighter spring. I would make them exchange(cost free) before riding.