Stock shim sizes?

I just did a valve clearance check on my '01 S model and I am out of spec. 

I need to order shims but I don't know what size the stock installed shims are to do the math. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

I just did a valve clearance check on my '01 S model and I am out of spec. 

I need to order shims but I don't know what size the stock installed shims are to do the math. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

There is no stock size, you need to pull the cams and buckets and measure what you have now.

Then do the maths and order what you need.

Or get one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOTCAMS-HOT-CAMS-9-48-VALVE-SHIM-KIT-SUZUKI-DRZ400-/321231234558?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acadfa5fe&vxp=mtr

Edited by Black_DRZ

Well damn... I had considered that they may all be different but only when I was almost finished putting everything back together. Thanks for the info.

Post your measured clearances.  How much out of spec are you?

Post your measured clearances.  How much out of spec are you?

My intakes are both .08

My exhausts are both .2 which is just on the edge of spec so I'm going to take them to .25

Edited by Jimbohlia

0.08mm is .003"

0.20mm is .008"

Yea both are border line but not critically tight.  I'd say great for an 01 motorcycle.  You could ride it a bit longer but it is due.  The original shims are in increments of .001" (0.025mm).  Replacement shins are in increments of .002" (0.05mm) so you have to look at the original shims to calculate what replacements will give for clearance.

0.08mm is .003"

0.20mm is .008"

Yea both are border line but not critically tight.  I'd say great for an 01 motorcycle.  You could ride it a bit longer but it is due.  The original shims are in increments of .001" (0.025mm).  Replacement shins are in increments of .002" (0.05mm) so you have to look at the original shims to calculate what replacements will give for clearance.

yeah, I'm too cheap to buy a shim kit so it looks like I'm going to have to leave the drz with it's guts hanging out for a few days while I locate new shims. I am considering installing a new cam chain because I am on the original with over 20k miles and it's had the original auto tensioner the whole time. I also just ordered a MCCT so it seems like a good time to knock all that stuff out at once.

If/when you buy original parts, compare the price for the Kawasaki clone parts.  Suzuki parts at cheaper Kawasaki prices.

yeah, I'm too cheap to buy a shim kit so it looks like I'm going to have to leave the drz with it's guts hanging out for a few days while I locate new shims. I am considering installing a new cam chain because I am on the original with over 20k miles and it's had the original auto tensioner the whole time. I also just ordered a MCCT so it seems like a good time to knock all that stuff out at once.

You might even find a friendly stealer who will exchange your shims for the size you need for a small fee.

There is also a chance that a shim from one valve will work in another position.

You might even find a friendly stealer who will exchange your shims for the size you need for a small fee.

There is also a chance that a shim from one valve will work in another position.

+1.....