CRF150r clutch too sensitive

Hey gang, I got a question about my sons bike/clutch. The bike has only 23 hours of light riding. No racing.

I noticed the clutch is too sensitive. By that I mean it does not gradually engage. It's like all or nothing. In other words it fully engages/disengages in about 1/2 inch lever movement. Is there an adjustment for this or is the clutch just wore out already.

Thanks.

I would suggest removing the clutch and inspecting it. Hours mean nothing on this motor to judge clutch life. If your adjustment wasn't right you can easily burn out a pack in 1 hr. Idle with the lever pulled in a lot will also shorten clutch life. With the lever pulled in the design reduces oil flow resulting in dry spots and the oil will heat up from lack of good flow. Some people have experienced rod/bushing issues giving this type of action.

Check basket for notches and make sure the springs are not broke or uneven in height. Some fixes, when the clutch is apart either buy a new aftermarket basket/drum/cover or drill out and add oil holes similar to the aftermarket parts.

Edited by weantright

Good info, thanks.

Ok it appears as though I'm changing the clutch. A reputable Honda mechanic told me the clutch fibers are the problem.

Can someone recommend and after market clutch kit (steels,fibers & springs) that's reasonably priced but will last?

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread my son doesn't race but does ride primarily on the track. He just needs to log more seat time.

Looks good but it says it's for years up to 2009. My sons is 2012, will it still work?

Rekluse recommends stock and the ones that used Hinson fiber kits love them. I cant see any of the low cost fibers to last any longer then Stock. I don't even think these high priced Hinson will either. The issue in this clutch are the basket, hub, cover plates, worn springs and nut torque. I would invest in these if you are having issues with clutch life. My son using the Rekluse and abusing the clutch we get 75 hrs. out of the fibers. If he wouldn't use the auto clutch to it's fullest, I bet we would get over 100 hrs. easy. We also have a Hinson basket which is wayyyyyy better than stock.

Rekluse recommends stock and the ones that used Hinson fiber kits love them. I cant see any of the low cost fibers to last any longer then Stock. I don't even think these high priced Hinson will either. The issue in this clutch are the basket, hub, cover plates, worn springs and nut torque. I would invest in these if you are having issues with clutch life. My son using the Rekluse and abusing the clutch we get 75 hrs. out of the fibers. If he wouldn't use the auto clutch to it's fullest, I bet we would get over 100 hrs. easy. We also have a Hinson basket which is wayyyyyy better than stock.

Is there any performance gains over stock (talking about the clutch basket) or does it just last longer?

The benefit of Hinson baskets or any of their product is better construction. Tighter tolerances, harder surfaces, stronger, better wear and the most important is reduced flex. Add in more/larger oil flow holes and your clutch will hold the power longer and extend life. Will you notice as a rider on the 150?? At the time we switched, we were not using a stock clutch, so we didn't feel a change (see last sentence). Using a stock clutch you might feel more consistent lever which should equals less adjusting on the track. I had inconsistent Rekluse performance at first, switched to a Hinson basket and the issues went away. Fluke??

The benefit of Hinson baskets or any of their product is better construction. Tighter tolerances, harder surfaces, stronger, better wear and the most important is reduced flex. Add in more/larger oil flow holes and your clutch will hold the power longer and extend life. Will you notice as a rider on the 150?? At the time we switched, we were not using a stock clutch, so we didn't feel a change (see last sentence). Using a stock clutch you might feel more consistent lever which should equals less adjusting on the track. I had inconsistent Rekluse performance at first, switched to a Hinson basket and the issues went away. Fluke??

Thanks for the info! I ride a SX 150 and might consider a Hinson basket

Just a follow up in case anyone gives a flip. Turns put changing the clutch fibers fixed this. Works great now.

Thanks.

Great to hear!!