Sign in to follow this  

Drz400sm

I have always ridden dirt bikes, but I was looking to get one for the street and was wondering what everyone thought of the drz. Ill probably do some basic mods to it. If I did buy one, should I go new or used? Buying used worries me because I want it to last

• Like 1

Welcome...  The DRZ is a pretty tough bike that has been around since 2000.  Stock they are a bit slow, but with some modifications it can run pretty well.  Read through the FAQ section  http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/215-drz400-faq/ , it covers a lot of good information.  You can use the "Search" feature to find specific topics. Lots of good info in here.

Buying used is OK if the bike checks out well.  The SM model is a lot of fun on the street and can last a long time if it is taken care of.  Good luck and have fun...  Be sure to post up a photo or two once you pick something up.

Very fun bike :) but yes its a slug. Mines a yellow slug , do the cheapo mods first , then if you have the paper start getting used to paypal my friend :D

I have always ridden dirt bikes, but I was looking to get one for the street and was wondering what everyone thought of the drz. Ill probably do some basic mods to it. If I did buy one, should I go new or used? Buying used worries me because I want it to last

Buy near new

I bought mine used, but you really want to know every little detail that has been done to it. Even the little things keep showing up for me and I have to fix them. Get a good deal used.

I bought my S used, its a 2002 and had 5000 miles on it when I bought it.  It hasn't given me a single performance problem yet.  

There is always the chance of buying a lemon if you go the used route, but at the same time these bikes are pretty tough and if the PO had at least some knowledge of bikes and tried to keep up on the maintenance then there is a good chance everything will work out.

I would say buy used and just make sure to check the bike out good before committing.  

Then you get to save your green for some mods  :ride:

I'm enjoying my SM so far. It has some knobbies on there, soon to be replaced with 50/50 tires. It's quite versatile. If it continues to run well, I'd say it would be perfect with the following mods:

Mods already done:

- Yoshi exhaust, jet kit, 3x3

Want:

- 15-20 more hp - it puts a nice fat grin on my face each time I roll the throttle, but I have to shift gears too soon. A little more hp would be perfect.

- FCR Carb - throttle lag sucks.

- Steering stabilizer - I'm always weary on the freeway thinking an unexpected pothole will ruin my day...