Sign in to follow this  

05 honda crf450r gearing. To fast

Hello, I was hoping someone could give me some tips on slowing down my bike. My son just started racing motocross, so i thought id get a bike to ride to.

I havent raced since 1991 so i thought id give the vet class a try next year, So i bought a 05 crf450r. The bike is to fast for me right now and id like to slow it down. Its got a lightend fly wheel, 13.1 compression, full big gun exhaust. 13-48 gearing. The bike came with brand new gears and chain, which i just changed. The chain was cut to fit the 13-48. would going to a 12 tooth up front stop this thing from wheeling or go up in the back gearing.  It really lugs down in slow speeds in 1st. 1st 2nd and 3rd it wants to flip over backwards lol. Im not new to motorcycles or broken bones but id like to enjoy getting back on a track but this bike worrys me.

Shoulda got a 250 haha I know the feeling had a 07 crf450 and it was a beast... Dunno if gearing down would help as it'd just have more low end... Maybe gear up and stay outta 5th?

Hello, I was hoping someone could give me some tips on slowing down my bike. My son just started racing motocross, so i thought id get a bike to ride to.

I havent raced since 1991 so i thought id give the vet class a try next year, So i bought a 05 crf450r. The bike is to fast for me right now and id like to slow it down. Its got a lightend fly wheel, 13.1 compression, full big gun exhaust. 13-48 gearing. The bike came with brand new gears and chain, which i just changed. The chain was cut to fit the 13-48. would going to a 12 tooth up front stop this thing from wheeling or go up in the back gearing.  It really lugs down in slow speeds in 1st. 1st 2nd and 3rd it wants to flip over backwards lol. Im not new to motorcycles or broken bones but id like to enjoy getting back on a track but this bike worrys me.

The CRF450R is well known for it's raw torque, power, and overall speed. It's not a bike that many try to slow down. The 13-48 (3.692 ratio) is OEM gearing. You could try 13-49 set up, (3.769 ratio) but the larger rear sprocket will result in more torque/power on the bottom end and less speed on the top end. The 14-52 (3.714 ratio) splits the difference, but is still a very fast gear ratio. Your best bet is the 13-49/13-50 for slower speeds, but the power will be significant on the bottom end.

You should consider selling the 450R for a 250R, or possibly something with less torque, power, and overall speed. The 450R was built and bread for speed.. it's going to be a challenge to slow that bike down without increasing low end torque. 

Keep us posted on what you do. 

JL 

Also if your problem is the bike front end coming up you should never use first and try to stay in a higher gear.

Thaks for all the input. The last mx bike i raced was a KX500. I then moved on to race speedway motorcycles,

500cc on alcohol with no brakes. I do have a problem with being heavy handed. Shifting sooner and not grabbing so much throtle is what i need work on, But the power is so much fun lol. From what i been reading, a litte bit heavyer fly wheel will tame the beast alittle. At 6'2 and over 200 pounds a 250 wasnt and option for me. The 450 had all the shocks sent out and redone by the last owner who was about the same size as me, so i couldnt pass the bike up.