Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust for an XR70 with a LIFAN 125

So, after pulling a bone head move and not getting oil in the boy's XR70 after installing an 88 kit, I decided to cut our loses and try something different.  I put him on another XR70 we have and I am going to build up the one with the burned engine.  I have a LIFAN 125 on the way, the bike already has HD srpings front and rear, and now I need an exhaust.  

I need to know what fits a LIFAN 125 on an XR70?  Something from FMF?  The chinese exhausts?  I do need something I can slip a spark arrestor in for the ORV parks around here.

Any thoughts are ideas would be appreciated.

Jay

Pro Circuit is the only pipe I can think of that comes with a removable spark arrestor, here is the link to their website.

http://www.procircuit.com/t-4-system-xr70-98-03-crf70f-04-12.html

You would have to fabricate a muffler bracket extension, the Lifan engine is at least 6mm taller at the cylinder, moving the exhaust pipe forward that much.

Just wanted to follow up on this for the record.  TBolt sells the FMF full exhaust that fits up, but is a little off on matching the holes to hold the can to the subframe.  Easy mod to fix and I just re-drilled another half hole to hold it in place.

For the record, that little Lifan is a crazy motor.  Once i got the jetting right and resolved my problem, didn;t properly hook up the ground, the bike rips.  I mean I had to stop and giggle a little bit when I first got on it.  For a 41 year old guy chasing around his boys on a 50 and a 70, it will be perfect.  let's just hope I don;t get too carried away.

Thanks to Vince at T-Bolt.  Spot on with everything needed to make it work properly.

Jay

I also saw the 125 and might go that route instead of the big bore.  I thought it would be a direct swap though.  SO I will have to buy an exhaust too?  Does the lifan 125 have much more power than the stock xr70 motor?

I also saw the 125 and might go that route instead of the big bore.  I thought it would be a direct swap though.  SO I will have to buy an exhaust too?  Does the lifan 125 have much more power than the stock xr70 motor?

yes, much more power. and it is a direct swap.  i do recommdn using your honda electronics though.  i also recommend going with the four up shift pattern rather than the one down three up.  neutral is hard to find and there were some issues with that 1-n-2-3-4 motor not staying in gear.  mine does fine, but the narrow neutral is a pain some times for my son.  the one up three down is a little cheaper as they don't make that anymore and folks want to get rid of it.  the four up is the new model and little bit more but not much.  dont be scared about a lifan motor.  it is well documented that they make engines for Honda and have for a long time.  spare parts can be found at Dratv.com

as for the exhaust, the head on the lifan is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch moved forwards.  Even the FMF exhaust will need the mounting hole where it connects to the subframe redrilled.  I assume you can do the same with the stock exhaust.  if you use stock, I recommend taking out the baffle and replacing it with a billet end cap.  the motor needs to breath and the stock 70 exhaust is pretty restrictive.  

overall, I like the motor and what it does.

This is a much cheaper way to get power if you are not restricted by class to 72cc I also saw a 70 with a 110 Honda motor ran much better out of corners than stock.Ps. I also saw a non shiftable direct drive 110 from a Chinese atv transplanted to 70 it wasn't anything like the 65ktm but with right gearing and electrics on tots track it was as fast as some of the shifters!!!