Bike Won't Start in Gear

Tuning the bike a bit today and wanted to see how it would do on starts. Once its fired up (only 3-4 good kicks cold), it will fire first good kick in neutral. I adjusted the idle and played with the pilot screw a little to find the easiest start warm, and best throttle response off idle.

Do I need to inspect the clutch? When I am clicked into 2nd gear, clutch lever in, there is definitley some resistance from the clutch, but it still rolls. If I am rolling with the engine killed, in gear, clutch lever in, the bike slow noticeably faster than in nuetral also

All 6 of the Yamahas we have owned were very difficult to start in gear. You could do it, but it required the perfect blend of throttle and a super-human kick. Was always told "That's just the way Yamahas are. If you want a bike you can start in gear, buy a Honda!"   :smashpc:

I think most would agree that it is clutch drag that keeps the motor from spinning fast enough / long enough to allow the motor to light up.

I generally run thicker trans oil. Do you think thinner oil or ATF would reduce clutch drag enough to make a difference?

I've never had issues with my 06 or 11 with starting in gear once warmed up with a standard clutch or with a Rekluse. Would be worthwhile to take a look at your basket and everything else with your clutch to see if everything looks in good shape. Also, make sure you bike is really warmed up good so you don't get as much drag from the trans fluid. 

If you need to start in neutral you'll get burried on your start, but on the other hand you'll get practice passing people.

My 125 starts first kick every time in first when warm.  My 250 was a little harder, as it seemed to like Top dead center and full strokes on the kickstarter to start.  I'd say most of the time it's the clutch going when it wont start in gear, but proper jetting also makes a huge difference too.