04 tacoma drivetrain question

was doing some routine maintenance under my truck and noticed there didnt seem to be a weephole at the tcase and tranny (5spd manual) junction. anybody know the theory with this ?  

was doing some routine maintenance under my truck and noticed there didnt seem to be a weephole at the tcase and tranny (5spd manual) junction. anybody know the theory with this ?  

My 06 doesn't have a tranny dipstick.  So it's not necessarily that there's a logical reason.  ;)

some vehicles have a weephole at the junction of the tcase and tranny. like the dakota for example, the older ones anyways. just wondered why there was no hole on the tacoma. with no hole, the cavity will fill with oil if the seal goes bad.  didnt know if there was a specific reason behind this

Edited by harryhandshake

Weephole as in a breather/vent? There is no weephole. They dont want any oil on the ground. There is a vent connecting the 2 units, small breather hose, (like small vacuum hose size) but they are sealed and do not share the fluid, even if it uses the same fluid. I assume this is the V6 engine.

The fill and drain plug should be a 24mm.

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

My 06 doesn't have a tranny dipstick.  So it's not necessarily that there's a logical reason.   ;)

That is by design, they are afraid someone would install the wrong fluid. It uses a type W/S and requires a special process to fill. The unit is sensitive to the wrong fluid and will create big shift quality issues.

Weephole as in a breather/vent? There is no weephole. They dont want any oil on the ground. There is a vent connecting the 2 units, small breather hose, (like small vacuum hose size) but they are sealed and do not share the fluid, even if it uses the same fluid. I assume this is the V6 engine.

The fill and drain plug should be a 24mm.

they dont want oil on the ground lol. of course it  all makes sense now. but why does my engine still only get less than 20mpg if theyre concearned with the envirnment ? 

like honda dirtbike with the weephole between the water and oil seal. some trucks have weephole at the junction of tcase and trans. didnt know the reason why it wasnt there. makes no difference to me if its there or not. carry on

they dont want oil on the ground lol. of course it  all makes sense now. but why does my engine still only get less than 20mpg if theyre concearned with the envirnment ? 

like honda dirtbike with the weephole between the water and oil seal. some trucks have weephole at the junction of tcase and trans. didnt know the reason why it wasnt there. makes no difference to me if its there or not. carry on

Harry, no weephole at all. In fact, had a good buddy whos trannny tail shaft seal went out and his tranny oil migrated into a large dry cavity between the trasfer and tranny. I installed a new tranny under warranty and he has be drill a hole and  install a 1/8" pipe plug where ius could periodically inspect to see if oil made it in there, then he would know he had a leak somewhere.

Less than 20MPG, the 3.4 I had in my Tacoma did 23 on the highway. 4 cylinders seems to do worse unless you had a 3.0, then 18 was top MPG's

maybe no weep hole is better. manual trans really doesnt have any pressure so if the seal went bad it would just fill the cavity and you wouldnt run the trans dry. assuming the cavity is fairly small

maybe no weep hole is better. manual trans really doesnt have any pressure so if the seal went bad it would just fill the cavity and you wouldnt run the trans dry. assuming the cavity is fairly small

A manual transmission, differential or any moving part assembly has to vent the air created within the unit, from the moving parts and expanding air from heat.

The ONLY weep hole you'll find on the drive train of any car is the water pump.

If the vent gets plugged, then that can create pressure and leaks..However... You'd be hard pressed to plug up the vent under NORMAL conditions.

A manual transmission, differential or any moving part assembly has to vent the air created within the unit, from the moving parts and expanding air from heat.

The ONLY weep hole you'll find on the drive train of any car is the water pump.

If the vent gets plugged, then that can create pressure and leaks..However... You'd be hard pressed to plug up the vent under NORMAL conditions.

thanks for the response. there seems to be some confusion however. some  vehicles do have a weephole, which is not the same as a breather vent. dakotas had a weephole at the junction where the trans and tcase mate together, at the bottom of the case housing, (just the same as a honda dirtbike waterpump), the breather vent is on the top. my question was inquiring why there was no weephole on the tacoma manual trans/tcase junction. it makes sense toyaota didnt want a bunch of oil on the ground, there for no weephole

Edited by harryhandshake

That weephole you speak of it mainly to expel instead of having coolant enter engine oil or oil in the coolant. The fluids are different, unlike a tranny and transfer case which is the same (in most cases) so we are at cross contamination. As for leakage, its not my rule, its the EPS, heck, they dont even like you having a manual tranny because of the puff of hydrocarbons after shifting. Off road competition rigs are usually exempt from many enviro regulations, crash test, emission requirement etc.

Drill one.

...it makes sense toyaota didnt want a bunch of oil on the ground, there for no weephole

They do have a big air space void between the 2 parts. Had a customer who was low on tranny fluid, but no leaks. Void was full. I installed a new tranny under warranty (long time back) and installed a center punch where he would dril a hold and install a 1/8" pipe plug. This way he could keep an eye on it. The 4 cylinder version, the fluids were shared and moved back and forth anyway, Had no void.

Some of course use a differwent fluid, ie a auto tranny and manual T case, so of course, you do not want cross contamination there either. They have the large void area too.