Sign in to follow this  

Is the XR400 right for me?

Hello people. My first post. Would like some help. I'm 38 and just started riding about a year ago. My first bike was a 2001 DRZ 250. Bike was fun, I picked up trail riding pretty quick and wanted more power so I picked up a 2003 yz125 and a 1995yz 125/144 big bore. Both bikes are fun! I'm keeping them both. Now I'm picking up a 2001 XR400 for 2500$ bike has Gordon's mods, FMF Q2 and a pumper carb. My question is, what can I expect coming off my yz's? will it be more powerful? Will I be able to pull the front end up over puddles and small mud holes like my YZ? Will this bike be a lot more powerful than the 1252t. I hope it is. I don't ride a lot of weelies but want a bike that can lift the front up when needed in 2nd gear. I ride trails in Minnesota and also thinking about some hare scrambles. Any way, what do y'all think about the jump from a 125 smoker to a XR400 monster!!!

I never ridden a 400 at low elevation, but I live at 8000 and up here, it won't do any of what you describe.  Still a fantastic trail bike though.  They don't lift the front wheel easy but they tractor up anything.

Hello people. My first post. Would like some help. I'm 38 and just started riding about a year ago. My first bike was a 2001 DRZ 250. Bike was fun, I picked up trail riding pretty quick and wanted more power so I picked up a 2003 yz125 and a 1995yz 125/144 big bore. Both bikes are fun! I'm keeping them both. Now I'm picking up a 2001 XR400 for 2500$ bike has Gordon's mods, FMF Q2 and a pumper carb. My question is, what can I expect coming off my yz's? will it be more powerful? Will I be able to pull the front end up over puddles and small mud holes like my YZ? Will this bike be a lot more powerful than the 1252t. I hope it is. I don't ride a lot of weelies but want a bike that can lift the front up when needed in 2nd gear. I ride trails in Minnesota and also thinking about some hare scrambles. Any way, what do y'all think about the jump from a 125 smoker to a XR400 monster!!!

A good XR4 will do what you want and a lot more. But the XR4 is really more like a tractor than the bikes you're currently riding. I have yzfs and an XR4 it is an entirely different riding experience. That said everyone should have the chance to own an XR just a great machine, reliable, rock solid, well made, and FUN. You should note that the XR4 is a heavy bike somewhere around 265lbs that will be a switch from the YZ2Ts. BTW since you mentioned it that price seems a little steep to me, though I bought my last one in 2010 and the economy for bikes may be a little better now, I got mine for a few hundred less.  :ride:

I never ridden a 400 at low elevation, but I live at 8000 and up here, it won't do any of what you describe.  Still a fantastic trail bike though.  They don't lift the front wheel easy but they tractor up anything.

I have never ridden any dirtbike at that kind of elevation.

The 400s are about as polar opposite from a 125 as one can get. I'm actually more interested in what YOU think once you ride the 400.

Lol! I will definitely let you know how I like the XR400. I know I will! I did have a DRZ250, so the weight won't bother me. I know it's night and day between my yz125. I like the 125 once it's in the powerband. Just wondering if the XR will be like that all the time, like right off the throttle and just pull the whole time? Can someone describe what it's like to take off on the XR? 2500$ is a little steep but it comes with extra tires, sprockets, a new pumper carb,fmf pipe, a full street legal kit and some other stuff... Oil filters and all stock parts as well. Also looks in great shape! I just want a ton of power. How would you compare it to a KDX 220? May consider one of those. But I think my heart is set on the 2001 XR4! I just don't want to spend 2500$ and then want more power. As long as I can lift the front end up in 2nd gear just with the throttle and a little pull while cruising down the trail ill be Happy. Thanks to everyone for the replies. It's is a great place. Most of you are very helpful.

XRs have a very smooth power delivery and soft suspension. They're the opposite of two strokes. Very torquey and hard to stall. Makes good power in all RPM ranges up to 8100!

XRs have a very smooth power delivery and soft suspension. They're the opposite of two strokes. Very torquey and hard to stall. Makes good power in all RPM ranges up to 8100!

That sounds fun!!! Thank you.

I have an '02 XR400....it seems like I can get the front wheel up whenever I feel like it. And yes....it is a tractor....nothing like a 125 2t. Just get it, dude!!! Best bikes ever made!!! Not sure how you'd need more power...it will go up, around, and over anything imaginable.

• Like 1

I have an '02 XR400....it seems like I can get the front wheel up whenever I feel like it. And yes....it is a tractor....nothing like a 125 2t. Just get it, dude!!! Best bikes ever made!!! Not sure how you'd need more power...it will go up, around, and over anything imaginable.

Thanks wwalker. That's what I wanted to hear. I had a 2001 DRZ 250, thought it was kinda weak. How would you compare the XR power to that? Remember... Gordon's mods, FMF Q2 and a pumper carb. Thanks. Oh and I had a question about that FMF Q2. Does it sound better and is it louder than the stock pipe?

Thanks wwalker. That's what I wanted to hear. I had a 2001 DRZ 250, thought it was kinda weak. How would you compare the XR power to that? Remember... Gordon's mods, FMF Q2 and a pumper carb. Thanks. Oh and I had a question about that FMF Q2. Does it sound better and is it louder than the stock pipe?

At this point I can only compare it to my little XR 200. The 200 is a little mountain goat that is a blast to ride and explore cow trails. The 400 feels like a beast when ridden back to back. My 400 is completely stock. Dude, with the mods on that bike you are looking at you'll always have a smile on your face. No one will ever classify an XR 400 as being weak.

As for the exhaust, I can't help you there. Mine is stock.

• Like 1

At this point I can only compare it to my little XR 200. The 200 is a little mountain goat that is a blast to ride and explore cow trails. The 400 feels like a beast when ridden back to back. My 400 is completely stock. Dude, with the mods on that bike you are looking at you'll always have a smile on your face. No one will ever classify an XR 400 as being weak.

As for the exhaust, I can't help you there. Mine is stock.

cool! Thanks again for taking the time to help a newb!!

Will probably have around the same peak horsepower as the 125, but you won't have to rev it to make it go.  XR4's don't need shifted nearly as much as a 125.  You just twist the throttle and go.  The engines are built around low and and midrange power.  Not really a drag racer, but tons of grunt.  Very FUN bike to ride, as long as it's not too tall or heavy for you. 

Good Luck!

Will probably have around the same peak horsepower as the 125, but you won't have to rev it to make it go. XR4's don't need shifted nearly as much as a 125. You just twist the throttle and go. The engines are built around low and and midrange power. Not really a drag racer, but tons of grunt. Very FUN bike to ride, as long as it's not too tall or heavy for you.

Good Luck!

ya it sounds like a fun bike to ride! Can't wsit to get it! Thanks

I have a 1997 XR4 with a pumper carb, uncorked stock exhaust (on the hunt for something more quiet), and 15/45 gearing. It pulls wheelies 2nd or 3rd gear when I need it. Every time. I love my bike. Came from riding CR125's, albeit a long time ago, way different for the riding I do now. Not a lot of shifting as stated earlier, just a beast. Get it!

Oh perfect!! Thanks for the info!! Can't wait to see what its like coming off a yz125. Not the best woods bike but still great fun!!!

Hey Sean.

I went from a KDX200 2 smoker straight onto an XR and what you notice more than anything is the sheer GRUNT the bike has.

Very different engines making roughly the same power but in two very different ways, the XR400 is all about torque and you can use that torque the same way you might use out and out BHP but with a lot more control as in comes in a nice broad band instead of one great big lump at the end of a million revs...

I notice that your logon name is BIGSEAN, if you are big (and heavy with it) you will notice that the XR will drag you along way better than a revvy high powered bike.

Its hard to describe but you'll get it once you throw your leg over it.

By the way, picking the front end up over puddles is all about technic and not so much about power, just as you come up to the puddle imagine that you are not on the bike and need to jump over the puddle two footed, squat down and push the peddles into the floor then jump and crank the throttle at the same time and any bike will come up real quick.

be careful as on an XR that can happen pretty quick.

my XR is bone stock and it will pick the front up in anything but 5th gear.

revise that, it's got a 14 tooth front sprocket, do that to liven it up a bit...

I think that Michelin AC10's are a great tyre for the bike and will cope with anything but really deep sand.

buy it, you will love it.

Forget the crazy 600miles oil change advice (unless you are red lining it all day long) and change at every 1000miles (this may get me flamed) I know people that have had an XR for two years and ridden it nearly every day and never changed the oil and the bike pulls like mine lol...

No water system to worry about as she is air cooled, roughly the same weight as a super modern CRF450X and well set up will keep up in everyday riding but not a straight line drag or motocross track.

easy to service and cheap to maintain, easy to work on yourself, the list goes on...

I was very close to trading for CRF450x but decided not to..