Sign in to follow this  

How much to flush/drain oil?

Due to surgery in April and again in July, I haven't been riding in a few months. Thought today was time to see if the battery tender did its job and ride up and down the street a little. Opened the door to my storage building and thought "Hmm that oversize plastic gas tank was full the last time I saw it". Yep, you know where the gas went. Drained at the frame and bottom of engine, pulled out oil filter, and ordered a Raptor petcock. My question is, What does it take at this point to be safe? It has not been started with gas in the oil. Do I need to take the engine covers off to drain and clean? Or can I just put some oil in it, run it a little and change again?

Next question. I usually take my used oil to Walmart for recycle. Any suggestions on what to do with this mess?

I would do 1 extra oil change.  10 to 50 miles on some cheap oil.

But if it sat a long time with gas residue in the cylinder the rings could be stuck.  If it runs OK, good. If hard to start and low on compression, bad.

Can you possibly burn the gas contaminated oil?  No oil recycler will want it. 

Might want to remove the spark plug before cranking with the starter, as mine was fully hydro-locked. Luckily my battery was crap, so no damage to the connecting rod was done.

You will need to fix the carb as well....almost certainly the little o-ring that lies under the float needle valve SEAT is shot and that is why the engine flooded, not because the petcock allowed it to happen. I also bought a new petcock, along with the o-ring

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1

Might want to remove the spark plug before cranking with the starter, as mine was fully hydro-locked. Luckily my battery was crap, so no damage to the connecting rod was done.

You will need to fix the carb as well....almost certainly the little o-ring that lies under the float needle valve SEAT is shot and that is why the engine flooded, not because the petcock allowed it to happen. I also bought a new petcock, along with the o-ring

Good Advice..... :thumbsup: