Sign in to follow this  

Who hits big jumps just to do it?

I'm 18 and have been riding for 5 years, I practice more than race, and I'm a mid c class low b rider. I have hit a big jump this season like 100 feet and now I want to hit the 140. I have a god job etc and I do this for fun cause I love it along with my 2 friends. Does anyone else hit stuff like this just to do it cause they want to. I'm not doing it to be faster I'm doing it cause I want to ya know?

I'm 18 and have been riding for 5 years, I practice more than race, and I'm a mid c class low b rider. I have hit a big jump this season like 100 feet and now I want to hit the 140. I have a god job etc and I do this for fun cause I love it along with my 2 friends. Does anyone else hit stuff like this just to do it cause they want to. I'm not doing it to be faster I'm doing it cause I want to ya know?

The main reason a serious racer would jump something huge is to save time. Other than that it's just an unnecessary risk and could cause injury and keep them from racing. Why risk an injury over wanting to jump something that big for no reason but bragging rights. If you're just a for fun guy and aren't a serious racer, go for it. Not to say some serious racers wouldn't jump it, last night at the Monster energy cup, even the Amateur All Stars guys were talking about how big some of the 100ft+ jumps are and how difficult they were. Those guys in the Amateur All Stars are about as good as you can get before being a pro, and if you think you are a C/B skill level, I wouldn't jump it. If it's a tabletop I would do it if you wanted to, If you come up short, that's a lot better than coming up short on a gap or double. I guess it's your choice, not anyone else's. Jumping 140 ft is going to leave you pretty banged up if it doesn't go well. However, I usually go a little crazier about now since it's the off season whenever I ride on MX tracks (which rarely has happened lately anyways) I do jump things or try things I wouldn't in the spring or during the race season. Then if something would happen, I have all winter to heal. I used to ride only on MX tracks (no racing), until I had a few pretty bad injuries. Now that I race Hare Scrambles, I find the technical stuff a lot more fun than launching off a huge jump and saying "Oh shit!" once it's too late to save it. Just my thoughts. 

Edited by A13

If u have to ask that quetion. That pretty much tells u your answer! Its like when somone asks how to wheelie or how to whip. You where your own shoes, you have to figure out Risk vs. Reward. Normally if ure asking maybe its just a bad idea! Or probly not ready for it yet. I think u can do it, (eventually) when ure not asking people if u can

To add, do you really understand how far 100ft is? It's a long ways..... Adding another 40ft makes for a insanely large jump. 95% of most motocross tracks don't have 140ft jumps...

Just to triple this is only 120ft....

Edited by originalmonk

Wow that is sick!! Thats about what 4 seconds of airtime. Ive only rode for six month this year and im pumped about clearing 40ft table tops haha. Biggest double about 20 or 25 ft. I know i can jump farther but why push it. Maybe by next year i can double up what ive learnt this year. Oh yeah btw i work all year and provide for my wife and 3 kids. If i F**K myself up its game over man. RISK VS. REWARD. Only if i was 18 again HAHA !

To add, do you really understand how far 100ft is? It's a long ways..... Adding another 40ft makes for a insanely large jump. 95% of most motocross tracks don't have 140ft jumps...

Just to triple this is only 120ft....

A local arenacross track called me and my brother to test the new outdoor track a few years ago. They had a 150 foot table top with a yz250f 4th gear speed run up. That was unnerving, even as a top B rider at the time. I had them knock off 30 feet off of it. My brother couldn't make it on a yz125. That big of a jump has too much that can go wrong. Speed, wind, track prep and rider skill was too many variables to control.