Sign in to follow this  

Do you smell that ?

I have a 2K XR650L with 4300 mile on it.

When the bike is at a warm temp (not hot) I get a nasty oil smell coming up from the engine.

I've stop next to people and they would ask just changed your oil?

I've have a K&N filter/breather on the crank case,do you think it's coming from there?

The bike doesn't use oil or leak it just smells bad!

Yes I have eliminated my socks and underwear from the smell

Thanks

When I had a filter setup like yours I would get that oily smell and even now that I have run it to the air box I still smell it on occasion, my air box is opened up a bit however. These bikes came with an oil separator that some keep when they remove all the emission stuff which may help with the odor that you smell. I don't know that for sure because my bike came de-smogged.

When I had a filter setup like yours I would get that oily smell and even now that I have run it to the air box I still smell it on occasion, my air box is opened up a bit however. These bikes came with an oil separator that some keep when they remove all the emission stuff which may help with the odor that you smell. I don't know that for sure because my bike came de-smogged.

No smog nice and clean

What kuna oil u running? Some oil just smells usually the cheaper stuff like rotella.

It did it with factory Honda oil and now smells even nastier with Amsoil

Check that your rocker cover isn't leaking at the front.  Since the head is tilted the oil likes to leak out there and burn off on exhaust head pipes.

If that's not the case the smell may be coming from Dwayne Johnson's kitchen.

tumblr_mfndjq0dO31rn0vh6o1_250.gif

• Like 1

Run a hose from the crankcase vent up to the top of the airbox. Cap the hose with your K&N filter and ziptie it in place just inside of the airbox opening. Problem solved. Any oil vapor that gets through the filter will get sucked up and burned.

• Like 2

Run a hose from the crankcase vent up to the top of the airbox. Cap the hose with your K&N filter and ziptie it in place just inside of the airbox opening. Problem solved. Any oil vapor that gets through the filter will get sucked up and burned.

That sounds like the fix thanks

And make the hose long enough to loop forward over the head before turning back to the airbox.

And make the hose long enough to loop forward over the head before turning back to the airbox.

I will do this but why?

• Like 1

If you do wheelies the oil gets blown straight out of the close to level line. With it going forward then back it has to go uphill even when tilted on the rear wheel. Kinda like an inverted P trap. Every little bit helps sometimes.

Edited by valvesrule
  • Like 1

What kuna oil u running? Some oil just smells usually the cheaper stuff like rotella.

nice blanket statement  LOL

since when is Rotella   t6 " cheap" ?  

anyway I did the full smog delete and pulled the reclamation canister   in favor of a  high mount filter   ( as high as I could route it )

i have no odor issues but I could see a bike with a little blow by creating the problem  I would probably return the PCV system to stock if mine was doing that   including the " catch can "

Edited by Zimman
  • Like 1

Well I guess no oil is cheap but if you go buy some good ol' shell rotella you more than likely will find that it cost less than most other brands and will always be next to the house brand oil compared to let's say mobil one or royal purple which is going to cost the most and correct me if I'm making a " Blanket statement" but you get what u pay for and yes you ever opened up a quart of rottela you can defiantly smells more than most oils

Yep, someone did a 'complete' desmog and too out the oil separator. If your going to run a hose anywyas I would just put a stock separator in and not worry about it. Not as clean of a look as completely gutted, but it serves an actual purpose, unlike the other emission crap.

I just recently retrofitted a Honda oil separator to a pw50 because it didn't have one. It solved the stink and we no longer have to worry about an oil flooded filter if the bike tips over.

Well I guess no oil is cheap but if you go buy some good ol' shell rotella you more than likely will find that it cost less than most other brands and will always be next to the house brand oil compared to let's say mobil one or royal purple which is going to cost the most and correct me if I'm making a " Blanket statement" but you get what u pay for and yes you ever opened up a quart of rottela you can defiantly smells more than most oils

Nah, T6 is one of the best oils around. Some may be better (and cost a lot more) but there are many out there that cost more and are less effective. Lucas oil comes to mind.

You could try motul, everyone will think you filled it with shampoo instead of oil

• Like 1