Sign in to follow this  

cylinder wear?

du you guys have to have your cylinders nikasil treated at 100 hours?

im starting to wonder if this is a suzuki thing, or an owner thing. 

at my latest rebuild, at 100 hours, i had to change piston, crank, and have the cylinder replated. now, 30 hours later i took the head of, and can see scrathes in the cylinder wall again.?

is this normal for these rmz´s? 

i change the oil at 6 hours, (motul 300v), and airfilter is always clean. 

this wasnt a problem on the honda crf´s i used to race a few years ago.

I put a new top end in a buddies 08 a few months ago. 200+hrs on the original top end and my jaw almost hit the floot when I found that the cylinder was still within spec. These current 450's are bulletproof for the casual rider. Unless you are on the rev limiter all the time you should get 100 hrs min out of a cylinder and possibly a piston depending on how hard you ride.

Did the cylinder look dirty to you when you had it apart? Maybe contaminated from reassembly? Who did your replate? Correct clearances during reinstall? Not trying to make it sound like you don't know how to do a rebuild. Just trying to gather some more info. I have never heard of it unless something was done wrong when put back together.

Im thinking maybe it was a replate issue.

Edited by BDubb106

BTW the bike is a ´10. 

i race MX at B-lvl.

as for the clearances for the rebuild, i assume you mean the pistonring gap? i actually cant say i checked this during install. (because i dont remember) but i have never had a ring i had to adjust the end gap on. 

the replate guy should know what he is doing, but as this is the first time i have had a replate done, i have zero experience. i gave him the new piston to match the replate.

i have done several rebuilds before, and never had a problem like this.

I am talking about ring end gap, piston-cylinder clearance. I honestly don't know what else it could be. Is it an actual scratch or just material build up on the cylinder wall?

The cylinder can get a glossy spot. The piston contact area is very small on these bikes. Typically the front will get a shine to it. Its nkthi g to worry about. If you look real close,if there is still crosshatch-its OK. Of you see actual aluminum or flaking-then there is an issue. Only time I see this is if a bike was ran hot,seized,piston ran too long or oiling issue. Gasket leaks allowing coolant I to combustion will eat plating. Kinda uncommon for a plating issue-if the plating wears or chips-something else is the culprit.

I heard a slight tapping took it apart an my 2007 is exactly the same. I have 90 hours with an hour meter.  Used rotella, and changed oil & filter every 6 hrs.  The rod is real loose, so i will put a new rod on and replate the cylinder.  This sucks because I change the rod on my YZ250 two stroke at 100 hours and replate the cylinder at about 150.   So i am not seeing a great increase in reliability, besides not having to change the piston every 30 hrs.  By the way does Rotella suck?   Oh, its not shiny, it rough.

I heard a slight tapping took it apart an my 2007 is exactly the same. I have 90 hours with an hour meter. Used rotella, and changed oil & filter every 6 hrs. The rod is real loose, so i will put a new rod on and replate the cylinder. This sucks because I change the rod on my YZ250 two stroke at 100 hours and replate the cylinder at about 150. So i am not seeing a great increase in reliability, besides not having to change the piston every 30 hrs. By the way does Rotella suck? Oh, its not shiny, it rough.

same thing with my rmz except it went completely through the nickel and I think the large amount of shavings is what waisted the crank. I've been tempted to use rotella cuz it's cheap and I would like doing frequent oil changes more but I've been using motul 5100 and it like it.