Sign in to follow this  

Black oil!

I just got an 04 cr125 and when I bought it I noticed the oil was black so I just thought the PO just didn't change it recently so I just changed the oil. So long story short I have Replaced the oil probably 5 times and after riding every time it's still a very dark blackish gray color. I initially thought it was water pump seals so I replaced them and still have this blackish oil after every ride, so I'm lost and don't know what to do with it. I will greatly appreciate any input, thanks!

Being a two cycle the case oil isn't exposed to blowby.  Oil changing color isn't a sign that it is bad or contaminated. Usually just a chemical reaction from oxidation or additive. If it bothers you you might try a different brand of oil or ATF but it'll change color too.

Being a two cycle the case oil isn't exposed to blowby. Oil changing color isn't a sign that it is bad or contaminated. Usually just a chemical reaction from oxidation or additive. If it bothers you you might try a different brand of oil or ATF but it'll change color too.

the only reason I am really worried about it is because I am using belray gearsaver now and it's red so I didn't think it was good for the oil to go from red to black after a 30 mile ride.

Being a two cycle the case oil isn't exposed to blowby.  Oil changing color isn't a sign that it is bad or contaminated. Usually just a chemical reaction from oxidation or additive. If it bothers you you might try a different brand of oil or ATF but it'll change color too.

Really no exhaust valves I didn't think of that . Sorry four stroke guy

When ii bought my 125 i ran some of that "seafoam" you can buy at you local autozone through my crankcase an fuel tank, that stuff rocks for $8 itll clean everything out then run some fresh oil through it  possibly the bike sat for a extended period of time and has some buildup or sludge in the crankcase, i even soaked my carb in it bike felt fresh afterwords

When ii bought my 125 i ran some of that "seafoam" you can buy at you local autozone through my crankcase an fuel tank, that stuff rocks for $8 itll clean everything out then run some fresh oil through it possibly the bike sat for a extended period of time and has some buildup or sludge in the crankcase, i even soaked my carb in it bike felt fresh afterwords

yea the PO said the bike did sit for a while and he didn't rid it that often so I'll try some of that stuff u mentioned and see what it does!

I change the oil in my 85 after every meeting for the best performance at each round. It still goes black after 45 minutes of riding over 3 races so its perfectly normal. :)

As blackwoodz stated the oil is getting contaminated by the aluminum clutch plates, perfectly normal. Next time you change the clutch use a set with steel drive plates and that won't happen, if it bothers you. Barnett makes great clutches and they use steel plates. If you ride trails the steel plates will add some drive weight and have the same effect as a light flywheel weight.

• Like 1

One of the new ways to fix black oil is switching to the purple powerband, they come stock with the orange one sooo...