Sign in to follow this  

Axle bolt nut.

On the loctite fixes i dont think its mentioned but i noticed my back wheel wobbles and i was like shit its the bearing etc. but i got back and the axle nut bokt was loose as anything i could turn it by hand

No. Loctite is not needed.  Just tighten it correctly.  Anything like 50 to 70 ft lb should do it.  Does your nut use a cotter pin or just a self locking nut?

Might want to pick up a new nut. Threads might be stretched from over torquing. Always tighten it to spec.

There are 2 kinds of axle nuts - castigated that use a cotter pin and self locking that do not use a cotter pin.

If the axle nut is done up tight it will not come loose unless something else is wrong like the spacer between the bearing is missing or collapsing or the assembly is wrong.  What model DRZ400 are you asking about?

There are 2 kinds of axle nuts - castigated that use a cotter pin and self locking that do not use a cotter pin.

If the axle nut is done up tight it will not come loose unless something else is wrong like the spacer between the bearing is missing or collapsing or the assembly is wrong. What model DRZ400 are you asking about?

i will get a picture when i go in the garage :) and its a drz sm 2005 uk

yes thats it :) so is it worth putting loctite on?

Should not need it.... torqued properly, they are not know to come loose..

I've been using the same fuji nut on my DRZ for about 10 years now.... removed and replaced many dozens of times.

Same with the Fuji style lock nut on my 1998 VTR1000F and many other bikes.

If yours will not remain torqued.. purchase a replacement and go on from there.

• Like 1

Should not need it.... torqued properly, they are not know to come loose..

I've been using the same fuji nut on my DRZ for about 10 years now.... removed and replaced many dozens of times.

Same with the Fuji style lock nut on my 1998 VTR1000F and many other bikes.

If yours will not remain torqued.. purchase a replacement and go on from there.

okay thanks for the advice!

Go to the hardware store and grab a castle nut and an appropriate size cotter pin torque the nut to 70 ft-lbs and center punch a hole through the castling, pull off the nut drill the hole straight through with care not to deviate to one side or the other. Put the nut back on, torque it and place the cotter pin and no more worries of a fastener failing. That's of course if your bike doesn't already have it.

Axle nuts properly tightened do not come loose.  With or without cotter pins, with or without running torque lock nuts, with or without thread locker.  If it is coming loose, something else is wrong.  Believe what you like, I think you know my opinion on the subject.

• Like 1