Sign in to follow this  

2013 fourth gear eating machine

Hopefully nobody has had to deal with what I am right now but if you have...My 2013 had about 35 hours on it when 4th gear went.All the others were good.1,2,3,5 all solid. I use the clutch consistently...try to make things last as I don't have any major sponsors knocking down the door. Spent a cool gnote at the shop to get it fixed and all good. 10 or so hours later guess what...4th again. Fix again... then two rides...you know the rest. Three times fixing a symptom. What is the REAL problem here? Thanks.

That happened to my bro's 450 2013 twice the dealer said to try replace the whole gear box n 80 hours later its still grafting if that helps

Yeah thanks dude, kinda what I was afraid of but weird that it's only picking on fourth.

We thaught maybe because the stress in the new gear n not givin it time to wear in becouse I knw he wasn't lol they prob need gentley wearing in

I got 85 hours on my 13 and still shifts perfect :) Havent Heard of any issues with the kx gearbox

what's the deal with cryo-ed or super finished? Is that like a coating?

Maybe you should have your transmission cryo'ed or super finished....

Hey I was just wondering what is involved with those things, cost, benefits etc. Thanks

Some how the shift fork probably got bent slightly causing 4 th gear to not engage fully. Thats my guess.

Some how the shift fork probably got bent slightly causing 4 th gear to not engage fully. Thats my guess.

yeah thanks guys. It did bend the fork before but keeps happening. Thought maybe the shift drum? Anyways I'm taking it to another tech today. Something I should have done before I guess. Live and learn!

yeah thanks guys. It did bend the fork before but keeps happening. Thought maybe the shift drum? Anyways I'm taking it to another tech today. Something I should have done before I guess. Live and learn!

Does the same piece keep braking?  What is it?  Input gear, output gear, gear tooth, dawgs, shift fork drive surface?

Does the same piece keep braking?  What is it?  Input gear, output gear, gear tooth, dawgs, shift fork drive surface?

Hey just found out today what's going on. There is a shim, I'm guessing next to the 4th gear that wasn't put on the correct side of it. So it couldn't fully engage the gear. Just kept rounding it off until it couldn't grab at all. Good and bad news I guess. Nice to know what is going on but got over 2k so far into a problem that was just mechanic error. Plus most of the other gears on the output started to take the hit too. Looks like all will have to be changed out. Like I said before live and learn.

• Like 1

Hello, maybe you could help with my KLX450 transmission problem? Here's my post from the KLX forum:

----

Hello!

Crashed my KLX yesterday, a really small crash from low speed. Didn't see any external damage by quick inspection.

On the road on my way home I noticed a strange knocking sound coming from the left side of the engine. Thought it must be the chain, but went through gears and noticed it did it only on 4th. Washing all the mud off the front sprocket and chain didn't change anything, still knocking on fourth. No grinding, just a pretty loud consistent metallic clanking. I didn't dare to use the 4th anymore on my way home, but it seemed everything worked ok, gears change normally and didn't notice any skipping, just the sound.

Why would this happen? I think I was on 2nd when crashing. I have never heard anybody having gearbox problems with this bike. Shouldn't these be built like tanks downstairs? Don't think I'm in the mood of splitting the case right now just to check. I'll have to recheck the chain slapping, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. Very different sound.

Any thoughts?

----

Could a bent shifter shaft or something else behind the clutch cause a problem like this?

Any help and ideas would be appreciated! I'm new to this stuff.