Anyone use a fork support on a 2014 500 EXC?

I've been thinking about getting some of these for use when I'm trailering my bike, or especially when I it loaded in the back of my truck:

Untitled.png

But, the reason that I'm hesitant, is because KTM redesigned the fender in 2014 so that mud doesn't pile up on it.  That's a good thing, but it doesn't look like one of these things will work now, since the underside of the fender is more or less flat across the bottom.

One thing that I guess would make it work would be to alter it to something like this:

Untitled2.png

Has anyone used one of these, or something simliar on a 2014, and do they work, or do they need to be modified???

CADman_KS

Save your bucks, they're a waste of money IMO....

I use one, but its a 2006 bike. You shouldn't need to modify it to work as the pressure is applied to the points you cut off, and transferred to the lower triple clamp through the fender.

Save your bucks, they're a waste of money IMO....

I should have clarified that I do NOT want one of these to save my seals.  I want one because when I have the bike tied down, especially in the bed of my truck, my bike acts like it wants to fall over sometimes especially when turning.  If I had on of these in there, I could cinch it down tight, and it shouldn't move around.

I'm also thinking about fabricating something similar to the Bed Buddy that I will install into my pickup.  That should help some to.  Maybe I'll build that deal first, and see how it feels after getting that built, and getting the bike tied down...

CADman_KS

I use one, but its a 2006 bike. You shouldn't need to modify it to work as the pressure is applied to the points you cut off, and transferred to the lower triple clamp through the fender.

I see what you're saying.  I would think that you could tie it down tight enough that you could bend off or break off those legs, but I've never had one of these, so I don't know how durable they are.

You're right, though.  The design of the new fender doesn't have anything to do with the design of this brace...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

I should have clarified that I do NOT want one of these to save my seals. I want one because when I have the bike tied down, especially in the bed of my truck, my bike acts like it wants to fall over sometimes especially when turning. If I had on of these in there, I could cinch it down tight, and it shouldn't move around.

I'm also thinking about fabricating something similar to the Bed Buddy that I will install into my pickup. That should help some to. Maybe I'll build that deal first, and see how it feels after getting that built, and getting the bike tied down...

CADman_KS

I got nothing for ya.....

I got nothing for ya.....

LOL...

Got two numbers for you: 2x4 :)

Get a Bed Buddy and cinch it down. You don't need to kill it, just tight enough that it won't roll over. OK for it to move around on the suspension some. The farther out the tiedowns are the better everything works.

Got two numbers for you: 2x4 :)

Yeah, I was thinking about trying that method first, before buying something or making something.  I'd probably make something anyway.  Much more fun that way, anyway...

CADman_KS

Get a Bed Buddy and cinch it down. You don't need to kill it, just tight enough that it won't roll over. OK for it to move around on the suspension some. The farther out the tiedowns are the better everything works.

I'm going to make my own version of a Bed Buddy at some point as well.  I have all of the steel that's necessary, I just need to get it done...

CADman_KS

As far as I can tell you don't need anything at all like that plus I heard over cranking can mess up the seals.

On most drives I use the soft tie loops around the bars and just two straps snug....not cranked at all.

If I'm going far (100mi+) I'll either add one off each peg or just one looped through the rear tire to the hitch.

As far as I can tell you don't need anything at all like that plus I heard over cranking can mess up the seals.

On most drives I use the soft tie loops around the bars and just two straps snug....not cranked at all.

If I'm going far (100mi+) I'll either add one off each peg or just one looped through the rear tire to the hitch.

You're probably right. What I really need is a Bed Buddy or some facsimile. I just don't want that front tire turning sideways when its in my truck...

CADman

I only have a work truck, it has a regular sized bed box and I wheel it straight in against the box. The two straps come off the loops under the box.

You kind of want the bike's suspension to function so it floats as you drive. I snug it but not really tight. The front wheel stays put and the tailgate stays down or else it won't fit.

I don't know what that bed part is you mentioned, I'm guessing one of those hooptie things to drive with the bed down?

Either add one on each peg or one around the rear wheel to the hitch and save that big clunky useless space eater and buy more bling!

I don't know what that bed part is you mentioned, I'm guessing one of those hooptie things to drive with the bed down?

Either add one on each peg or one around the rear wheel to the hitch and save that big clunky useless space eater and buy more bling!

LOL!

This thing:

http://www.ccrsport.com

Mine won't cost me anything, though, since I have all of the steel already...

CADman

Edited by cadman_ks

For a pick up?

That looks like fancy loops. Doesn't it have the loops at the bottom already?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382490884.113798.jpg

For a pick up?

That looks like fancy loops. Doesn't it have the loops at the bottom already?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382490884.113798.jpg

Yeah, my truck has the loops at the bottom.  But for some reason, it just doesn't feel all that "tight" when it's tied down.

I probably would be the none the wiser to this, but I had a buddy who tied his bike down in the front like we're talking about, and as he turned a corner, the bike leaned enough, allowing one of the straps to get some slack in it, and then the tight one cranked the wheel, and his bike fell over.  That in and of itself wouldn't have been so bad, BUT when it fell over, the handlebars went right through the back glass.

That's what I'm ultimately trying to avoid.  I've noticed when I turn, or go over bumps, my bike is rocking around back there more than I would like...

CADman_KS

I hear you but maybe he had them more on the loose side or was flying around a corner?

The straps I have are not the highest quality,  but I got them at chaparral not home depot.  The HD/Lowes ones are pretty poor.  I used a small anchor shackle to lock it to the truck loop.  When I tighten them I definitely compress the forks a bit but I'm sure it's not enough to lock down onto one of those braces, plus like I said the bike's suspension will move a bit to absorb some bumps.  The closest place I ride is 23 miles away and it's a very windy road and it's fine with just the two straps.  With the box there they pull the tire into it a bit.  You can always use additional straps if you want, like I said when I drive home it's 140 miles and I'll add one to the rear tire or off the pegs.

You have to figure your comfort zone!  My bike isn't brand new and the truck isn't mine but I'm not at all reckless with stuff!

I hear you but maybe he had them more on the loose side or was flying around a corner?

No, if anything, this guy probably tightens TOO much.  He also has quality straps, so I don't think that was the issue either.

In his case, he doesn't have a bed liner of any kind in his truck.  I wonder if just the paint on the bed was "slick" enough that it slipped out as he was cornering or something???  (I do have Rhino lining in the back of my truck, so things don't slide around a lot back there, which is good until you WANT to slide something)

Another thing that I should tell you about this buddy is that he is one of those people that trouble just seems to follow around.  He can do EVERYTHING right, and something will always break it seems like.  So, maybe it is just him.   ;)

CADman_KS

I can relate to all of that, right down to the bed liner!