Sign in to follow this  

yz125 enduro-x techniques.

I've been watching Graham Jarvis and various other rides that do the same type of riding as him. Thinking about it I would LOVE to even be as half as good as him. Everyone starts somewhere and i would like to learn. Im currently in the process of building a small enduro track in my back yard/woods. I have an assortment of steep jumps in it now and I'm planning on putting large logs and rocks with sections of chopped wood. From his videos i seen that balance is huge. I think a good starting point would be to learn to balance on the bike when not moving, I can turn extremely slow and balance at slow speeds but i cant when not moving. If anyone has any input of thing I can do to learn and become a much better of road rider please let me know!.

Graham Jarvis, like so many top riders, started in trials competition. It's hard to learn all the trials techniques on a long-travel enduro bike, but it can be done. Search YouTube for trials techniques. For instance, static balance is much easier when you turn the bars almost to full lock and use small movements of the bars to maintain fine balance control. Slow wheelies while covering the brake with your right foot and shifting your body balance to turn are good too. Bunny hops teach you how to clear smaller logs at speed without even touching them.

These techniques are much easier to learn on a trials bike, and even a ten year old bike is fine for practice if you can afford it. And in slow woods, a trials bike is a total blast to ride. Very addicting.

Since I'm 16 and have to pay for EVERYTHING a trails bike is out of my budget, hard enough getting gas! I probly won't be doing bunny hops for awhile since I can't slow wheelie to save my life! I'll try static balancing tonight

• Like 1

well the thing about trials bike, from what I am learning. They will be a lot easier to balance, and they teach you to stand more often, and to keep your feet on the pegs a lot more often, and teach how to balance(did i say that haha ) I am still learning how to balance my bike, and because it's so tall it's hard, I can do it pretty well on an xl100 since the CG is so low on it. but what I do, and seen people show how, Is to look forwards, not at your fender. Turn the wheel in the way you are falling, and the knee opposite of that side, point outward. I watch a lot of shane watts, and he is a very good enduro rider, and uses the same techniques. That little section of balance on his video I will upload, but only that. (might be a while, if I don't forget)

Kinda interesting that you will be doing it on a 125. it can be done, I seen people doing it, but you wont have as much torque, but I am not saying you need to get a different bike, just know that it will be harder, and when you see these good guys doing some of the stuff, they are usually on a 300, like Jarvis.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff

Just take it easy and visualize what you want to do. Have patience and try to be smooth.

Ik I can't do it easy on a 125, I'm not exactly try to ride like Graham, but I want to be a GOOD enduro/hs rider. I pretty never sit down in the tight stuff, I'm pretty good at riding standing up. I did some practice today with the tight turns (cones where my bikes length apart) and I only fell once. Then I did some practice with getting over logs, but I used a NASCAR tire Layed in its side, it's probably 10-12" tall. I did some balance practice today and managed to hold it about 10-15 seconds. Question: when balancing not moving, do you lean the bike one lay and lean your body the other way? Or do you keep the bike straight up??

I try to keep my bike up as straight as I can, but it will eventually start leaning one way, and when it does, like with using your knee, you have your weight go the oposite direction the bike is wanting to fall. I study how people ride a lot, see what they do, and try to do the same. study what he is doing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0MtWjCHOk

Sweet! I'm going to try that tomorrow night. Any tips on wheelies? I can get it up pretty good by slipping the clutch but I don't like to do that because it's hard on the clutch isn't it? Should I start with perfecting my balance before moving on to other stuff? It's calling for snow this week and of it stays I won't be able to ride until late march-early April so it will give me plenty of time to practice. Sorry for all the questions but I really wanna learn! Best dirtbike forum I've EVER been on btw

Im not the one to ask for doing wheelies, I can pull my front up when I need to, but I don't try them for practice anymore(I had a couple bad experiences, and that stopped me) normally what I do when I need to pull my front to go over a dip, or whatever, or some logs. I will use the clutch a little bit, but it's mainly preload, and throttle. now if you are talking about Jarvis, and how he does his slow wheelies. he uses the clutch to get the front up like he does, it's really the only way. It won't hurt the clutch if it's fast, it's the constant little slip that really burns them. 

I usually practice my balance about 10-15min each practice ride, so I wouldn't really just focus that one part. to perfect your balance, you don't have to just use your bike, you can use other stuff to give you that sense of balance. my uncle, who was a double A racer, told me what he use to do. he bolted a board about as wide as your shoulders, to a pipe, and balanced on that like a teeter tooter. he keeps telling me it's hard than it looks, and it will help a lot. so there are things you can do through the winter to help. 

clutch control, throttle control, balance, braking, it's all relevant, and it all needs practiced. do you have any kind of course setup? you don't have to get a full blown out course, you can start small and work your way up. I made my own, and it's still small, but it's a lot harder than a single log like I started with.

The biggest part that I seen that I needed to practice, was balance, and clutch control. I needed the control to keep from killing it, and from whisky out of control. plus I usually give it a little bleep and let the clutch out just before the log. 

do you watch any videos like this? Like I said, I study them :D but here I see a lot of bad riding, too much sitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQr5qlMfCMY

Some of them guys are amazing on two wheelies!! It's insane. I have a track setup, but with no obstacles yet. I'll put them in next spring. I'm planning on some big logs, a section of split wood, tires, and turns that are 90* and an angle log right on them so you can't come at them straight on. Any other obsticales I should put in? I need to learn how to use clutch control for a 2-stroke. Im used to 4-stroke. Thanks for all the info!

Is a 125 even enough motor to do any of this?? I don't find any videos doing enduro x kinda stuff. If I work on my balance and all that good stuff I should be able to hop over some bigger stuff. I have a big concrete pipe that I hopefully will someday be able to get over top of. I put a 2x6 on some logs that was probably 20 feet long and practice riding over. Only fell once but i came on the board crooked. Balancing was pretty tricky. Anything I can learn do during the off season? My days are number for riding. What about enduro schools? Is it worth the money to take one? I cant figure out how to attack images!

Edited by 46ford

all the videos at the TTC are good. The double-blip (http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/double-blip/) is the most usefull (IMO).

Trials techniques ARE do-able on other types of bikes but will be harder to execute. 

Static balance is easier with the engine running... when just starting with static balancing find a divot in the ground to place your front tire in. 

Keep practicing.

• Like 1

My question is how much have you done already, if you have no experience going over let's say a 26" log, I would start off small, so you don't hurt yourself, start off slow, don't need a big huge track right away(I understand it takes time to build)

01:15:00 the guy that takes the lead "125" he is on a 125. it can be done, it can do it, but it will take more clutch control.

What do you mean by what I've already started? I haven't practice going over logs yet. There isn't any logs I can practice on right yet. I have a little difficulty getting over them. I can't seem to do like people do it. Also people on 125 that go over logs, don't seem to even rev it hardly at all and it goes right up and over it. I have really rev it to get it to come up. What am I doing wrong??

See that is what I was talking about. Either I missed it at some point, or you didn't mention it. if you are having trouble just going over a single log, then you still need to practice. I wouldn't worry about thinking about this track you are wanting to build(I would still plan a bit, and find the resources) you need to go over a single log probably 500 times, even when you think you are comfy. 

It could be many things why you are having trouble, it's hard to say without seeing you try. if there is a way you can get a video of you doing it, then it would be easier to tell. there are a lot of things that could be wrong, hesitation, not using the suspension to your advantage. It seems like you are having to try harder than other people, but it could just be mentally, or just not enough experience. I practiced on a single log for 2 months, and that still wasn't enough. What size is the logs are you trying?

looks like this guy does have to rev it a bit, but a lot of it is using the suspension. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDSGqM6PW18

Most of this is just technique, not motor.  I'm ok at log crossings, certainly not great.  It's easy to explain, but much harder to execute.  You need to pre-load the suspension; sorta bounce down on it.  Then shift weight back while simultaneously reving and slipping the clutch. then pop the clutch, wheelie, un-weight, throw hips forward to the bars, then shift your ass over the back fender and chest towards the seat, don't chop the throttle.... all in one fluid motion.

As far as balance, try it on a bicycle first.  It's easier if you put the front wheel against a wall.  Once you get that, try without the wall, then try on the 125 against the wall and finally on the 125 in free air.

One final word; PRACTICE

That's my problem! Watching all these videos of people crossing logs, I don't pre-load the front suspension like they do. I can cross logs but I'm not very good at and it struggle. I was practice on one that was probly 14" but it was too short length wise and would just push around. I'm going to have to try pre-loading it and give that a whirl!