Sign in to follow this  

MSR Raptor-pro clutch perch/lever and motion pro cable

Hey guys, first post.

I've been having tendon issues in my hands recently so I went about looking for a way to lighten the pull on my clutch. I read on TT a while back about someone who got the MSR Raptor-pro clutch perch/lever and it made the pull much lighter and smoother. They also said they got a new Motion Pro clutch cable and this helped as well. So I went ahead and bought both to relieve as much stress on my hand as possible, but upon installation this morning have found that the cable is to short. When installed the clutch is pulled enough that it won't engage. I already have the adjustment where it mounts to the case all the way.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I get a bad cable?

I'll probably try putting the stock cable back on and see what happens for now.

Thanks!

Brian

I don't know if it was my post you read, but I did the exact same thing as what you talk of and it made a world of difference. I can run the clutch with one finger all day and never think twice of it. As for the cable, do you have the adjustment backed out all the way on the perch and then also do you have the adjustment on the frame backed out the right direction? Not questioning your intelligence, but just suggesting a possible problem. : ) Also the position of the perch on the bar could be an issue. If it is too far out to the end of the bar this would shorten the length. I didn't have any issues with mine at all so it's odd you're having issues. If you have pictures that always helps trouble shooting.

Yea it was probably your post. I have it backed out in the right direction at the frame(case mount). The end of the cable tube sits right in the perch. In the beginning I had the perch adjustment all the way in but didn't like the way the cable was rubbing on it so I backed it out partially to stop that. I'll take some picks to show where I have everything adjusted at.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Do you happen to have bar risers, high bend bars, or an aftermarket triple clamp? Either one could put the new cable at its max.

I run tall and wide bars on risers with the same setup and have no issue with the cable length.  I do run the cable on the left side of the steerer tube, not around it.  I don't know if that is the correct cable routing, but it works.

Do you happen to have bar risers, high bend bars, or an aftermarket triple clamp? Either one could put the new cable at its max.

Nope. Even if i were to take the perch off the bars it is to short. Still haven't had time to swap the stock cable in and see how that goes. Hopefully tomorrow.

I have the MSR Raptor lever and cable, but on a XR200R with HD clutch springs.  Easy install and easy clutch pull, but I also added a 3/4 inch extension to the engine clutch arm. Do a search in the 200 and 230 forums.

I have the MSR Raptor lever and cable, but on a XR200R with HD clutch springs.  Easy install and easy clutch pull, but I also added a 3/4 inch extension to the engine clutch arm. Do a search in the 200 and 230 forums.

I don't know if it's different on a 200, but I don't know if adding the 3/4" to the clutch arm on a 250 would be a good thing to do in addition to a MSR Raptor.  I currently have the HD springs in my clutch too, and to get the easiest pull I had to set my cable on the setting closest to the bar on the clutch lever. 

Problem is that when you do this you gain mechanical advantage, but you loose the amount of linear travel you get when you pull in the clutch, so if you were to add an additional 3/4" to the clutch arm you would increase the lever arm more, but loose that much more linear travel to disengage the clutch discs.  Right now, on my bike, I have about the minimum amount of free play that is allowed and I almost feel that I am not gettting the clutch discs 100% disengaged when the clutch is pulled in fully.  I've seen your post in the 200 forum, and thoght about doing this when I was looking into different options for my clutch, but now that I have the raptor I just don't know how you could do both.  Unless you have your clutch cable on the lever at the setting farthest away from the bar. 

I had/have the same problem with an ASV perch and now a Trackside perch.

Adjust all 3 cable adjusters to minimum, and remove the bracket off the side of the engine case. This should give you enough freeplay to install the cable into the lever/perch.

Once the cable is installed, you can reinstall the bracket and if you are lucky you should have 1/8" of freeplay or so, which is just barely enough.

Otherwise, take the cable to  bike shop, they have a tool which can remove a bit of the sheath

I had/have the same problem with an ASV perch and now a Trackside perch.

Adjust all 3 cable adjusters to minimum, and remove the bracket off the side of the engine case. This should give you enough freeplay to install the cable into the lever/perch.

Once the cable is installed, you can reinstall the bracket and if you are lucky you should have 1/8" of freeplay or so, which is just barely enough.

Otherwise, take the cable to bike shop, they have a tool which can remove a bit of the sheath

Might have to take it to the shop. I put the stock cable in with all adjusters to minimum and it just barely works. I am not happy with "just barely". Not even close with the Motion Pro cable..

Need to figure out how much slack I have in the sheath so I know how much a shop can remove. Going to see if I can get my money back for the Motion Pro cable.

Thanks guys,

I'll let you know how it goes.

So went to the local bike shop and they told me that couldn't modify it..

Decided The best route to go was Leave the sheath alone and just lengthen the cable. So I went and bought some fresh cable and cable ends at the local hardware store.

Here is what I came up with:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641766.518908.jpg

About 3/4" longer than stock.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641810.467205.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641825.546938.jpg

Took her for a ride and the clutch was like butter... SMOOTH ...and very light which is exactly what I was after.

This is the only problem I have:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641923.816671.jpg

Unlike the original it does not lock into the groove/hole. No big deal though I'll just cut that end off and figure out a new end, could use to be a 1/8 inch shorter anyway to allow for more adjustability. For now I'm just going to safety wire it.

Questions, comments, concerns, or sarcastic remarks?

Brian

So went to the local bike shop and they told me that couldn't modify it..

Decided The best route to go was Leave the sheath alone and just lengthen the cable. So I went and bought some fresh cable and cable ends at the local hardware store.

Here is what I came up with:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641766.518908.jpg

About 3/4" longer than stock.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641810.467205.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641825.546938.jpg

Took her for a ride and the clutch was like butter... SMOOTH ...and very light which is exactly what I was after.

This is the only problem I have:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382641923.816671.jpg

Unlike the original it does not lock into the groove/hole. No big deal though I'll just cut that end off and figure out a new end, could use to be a 1/8 inch shorter anyway to allow for more adjustability. For now I'm just going to safety wire it.

Questions, comments, concerns, or sarcastic remarks?

Brian

Looks good, I would just safety wire it, that is the simplest solution.