Sign in to follow this  

Washington New Ride

So today is my birthday, I turned 53 and to celebrate I decided to enjoy an early morning ride.

I get up early and quietly get dressed, as I head down to the garage I'm already planning my trail selection, I'm heading for Walker Valley to meet up with a couple of riding buddies. I grab the rest of my gear and slowly roll open the garage door, I can feel the cool briskness of a great Fall morning, as the door rolls fully open I am startled by what I see in the dim light of pre-dawn, there in front of me is a new orange ride. A balloon is carefully taped to the handlebars and proudly proclaims "Happy Birthday" and on the other side it says "Enjoy your new ride"

Dumbfounded I search all around the yard looking for someone to jump out and yell "Surprise"  and start taking pictures of me and my new ride. I don't see anyone lurking in the shadows so I scan the windows figuring I'll catch someone peeking out from behind the curtains, again, no one is there, befuddled I do what anyone else would do, I finish loading up my gear, climb into the truck and head off on my ride as planned.

I return a few hours later, as I pull into the driveway my new ride is still sitting there right where I left it, the Happy Birthday balloon waving gently in the breeze, climbing the stairs to the front door I am greeted by my wife, I ask her about the new ride in the driveway and she says she doesn't know what I'm talking about and brushes past me on the stairs to go have a look for herself. At the bottom of the stairs she stops and slowly turns back towards me and says she has no idea where the new ride came from. The look in her eyes tells me she is not kidding me, she honestly has no idea where the new ride came from.

I don't know what year it is, I'll have to check the vin numbers to be sure but it has fresh tires on it, new grips, and new plastics. One of the forks has what appears to be a small bend to it but I think I can fix that.

Convinced this new ride is mine, being as I'm the only one that rides in the household,  I take it out for a short run around the house, just a short get acquainted ride, man this thing is a dream, it has all kinds of low end grunt but is lacking on the high side, I can probably fix that with a new topend, this thing tractors like no other and the backend just tracks in un-believable fashion, I think I'm in love.

I soon find out that my good riding buddy, Chezdude, was the sole instigator behind my new ride, his wife may have been involved in it as well but that has yet to be confirmed.

I had my wife snap some pictures of me and the new ride as I railed it around the house.

This is what I saw when I opened the garage door in the pre-dawn darkness:

20131020_073456_resized_zps8fe9c312.jpg

This is what I saw when my eyes adjusted to the low light:

20131020_073331_resized_zpse4912238.jpg

It idles real fine, almost like a kitten purring:

URL=http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/KTMRider41/media/DSCN0320A_zpsa6a0f07f.jpg.html]DSCN0320A_zpsa6a0f07f.jpg[/url]

Here I am jumping it: Check out the leg whip??

DSCN0322_zps3f37ede2.jpg

Look at how this thing just rails on the corners, talk about tracking:

DSCN0323A_zpse6602158.jpg

All of this couldn't have been possible without the guidance and efforts of my good riding buddy Chezdude, and for that I salute you:

DSCN0324A_zps6f6577f1.jpg

Let's ride next weekend Chez, I'll even let you take the new ride out for a spin but I'll need it back as I have hip surgery scheduled for next month.

Edited by Rider 41
  • Like 8

You are quite welcome Willy.  I'm glad you like the way it handles.  The new riding duds look great, and I hope you had a good birthday. 

Just remember Chez, paybacks can be a bitch

Thats awesome and happy birthday. How was walker this morning.

Thanks!   Walker was great, just enough moisture to make things interesting, and the walker was fun too.

Edited by Rider 41
  • Like 1

It gives a whole new meaning to "Walker Valley."

Happy B-Day. Enjoy the day.

• Like 3

:lol:

Happy B-day! 

PS. My wife really likes it, I may be in trouble

It gives a whole new meaning to "Walker Valley."

Happy B-Day. Enjoy the day.

he he he he..........bwaaa haaaaa  :thumbsup:  :lol:

Joe

Happy Birthday oldman! I used one of those things for a couple hrs at Harborview, Never again...I should prolly never say "Never"

Happy Birthday oldman! I used one of those things for a couple hrs at Harborview, Never again...I should prolly never say "Never"

ya, that never works...Thanks for the birthday wishes guys :thumbsup:

How you healing up Kap'n? Ready to ride yet?

Not quite ready to ride yet but I got the green light to start physical therapy last week...if I'm good, I could probly be out there early next yr tho.

• Like 2

Rider,

Great photos. Good luck with your hip surgery. Is it replacements? I had both mine done at age 50 and 51 and love my new hips. The worst part is lying around the house for 3 weeks. I sorta speeded up the recovery timeline with walking, driving, etc. If it is replacement surgery, be sure to get the toilet seat extender!

BullTaco