Clavicle fracture question for Dr. Mark

Hello, I broke my collarbone a week ago and my dr told me that its not bad and that it will heal great on its own, radiologist said it has a 3cm overide of the fracture fragments. Dr also said that he thinks the fracture seems to have a little of a twist style of break, whatever that means. I attached a shot of the x-ray. I would appreciate your opinion since I know you've seen alot of em, thanks

image.jpg

That bone is quite shortened. While it probably will heal, there will likely be a considerable loss of strength, that while it may be ok for a sedentary person, will not lead to a happy situation in a competitive athletic type of person.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have another question about the best way to rest it and an estimate of heal time. My doctor said to wear a figure 8 brace with a sling and to keep my shoulders "at attention". The problem is, when I push my shoulders back, it makes the bone that is displaced on top poke up and that makes me feel like there is much less union, I understand the point of it(trying to pull it back to be closer to anatomic) But if I sit, lean back in the recliner and kind of support my elbow with the armrest, it makes it feel like they are unioned better(but the bone is obviously shortened more then). When I stand I get the same feeling to the touch that the bone is poking up also. What way would you suggest I hold it to maximize strength as well as maximize healing speed too.

And about healing time, I was actually supposed to start a new job the day after I broke it so I'm kinda under the gun for getting it healed, it is a delivery driver job where I would have to lift boxes of up to 50-60lbs and place them on a two wheeled dolly. Is 6-8 weeks reasonable for being able to do that? I don't care about getting back on the bike, just tryin to get to work to feed my family at this point. Thanks

Sorry I am 28 yrs old, pretty healthy/ in shape, non smoker

Have them put in a stainless "plate" with enough screws to make it strong enough to support your lifestyle.  That clavicle has to serve you for a long time and it won't if it's crooked or misalighed. 

This time it is about YOU.  Get it fixed right.

1hen2ducks

Edited by 1hen2ducks

0.jpegYa get it fixed right but dont get stainless steel. way less tinsel strenght than titanium..  

I have a nice titanium plate with 8 screws..

Thanks guys but the issue is, I don't have insurance because of being between jobs for 2 days and this just happened to happen on one of those two days although it wouldn't matter if it happened then or within my 90 days at the new job before I got insurance, I also now have no income so surgery is only on a absolute necessary basis, if even then

Dr Mark, I'm assuming you can't/won't answer my other questions?

I am here.

The no insurance and income part is a seperate issue, but to me you need surgery with plate and screws to put the shoulder back the way its supposed to be, although it would heal the way it is(I know a Few whove done this), it would always be somewhat deformed.

You might ask DR mark, if they pull that shoulder back out to the right place before mounting such plating. Seems silly to just install a plate over the present situation.

Dr, what do you mean by "I am here"?

Get that one fixed with a plate or you'll regret it.

Just my 0.02. Not a doctor, but a patient who tried to "let it heal naturally" and was very unhappy with the results. The plate has put my shoulder back into position.

Thanks guys but the issue is, I don't have insurance because of being between jobs for 2 days and this just happened to happen on one of those two days although it wouldn't matter if it happened then or within my 90 days at the new job before I got insurance, I also now have no income so surgery is only on a absolute necessary basis, if even then

Dr Mark, I'm assuming you can't/won't answer my other questions?

I meant that if a question was posed to me, I would answer it.

Ok, my questions were in post #3 (I'm sorry, I don't know how to do the quote thing)

Edited by Wr822

Naturally, these questions need to be addressed by your doctor.

When I treat a clavicle fracture nonsurgically, don't prescribe a figure of eight brace, but use a simple sling, and allow patient to return to activity when they are pain free.

Thanks for the quick reply, I have another question about the best way to rest it and an estimate of heal time. My doctor said to wear a figure 8 brace with a sling and to keep my shoulders "at attention". The problem is, when I push my shoulders back, it makes the bone that is displaced on top poke up and that makes me feel like there is much less union, I understand the point of it(trying to pull it back to be closer to anatomic) But if I sit, lean back in the recliner and kind of support my elbow with the armrest, it makes it feel like they are unioned better(but the bone is obviously shortened more then). When I stand I get the same feeling to the touch that the bone is poking up also. What way would you suggest I hold it to maximize strength as well as maximize healing speed too.

And about healing time, I was actually supposed to start a new job the day after I broke it so I'm kinda under the gun for getting it healed, it is a delivery driver job where I would have to lift boxes of up to 50-60lbs and place them on a two wheeled dolly. Is 6-8 weeks reasonable for being able to do that? I don't care about getting back on the bike, just tryin to get to work to feed my family at this point. Thanks

There we go, figured it out

Naturally, these questions need to be addressed by your doctor.

When I treat a clavicle fracture nonsurgically, don't prescribe a figure of eight brace, but use a simple sling, and allow patient to return to activity when they are pain free, recognizing that we are going to accept whatever misalignment occurs, as absent surgical treatment, we have very little control of this bone.

Ok, thank you for your time

Dr Mark can I get your phone # so I can call you and discuss possible surgery? Thank you