Sign in to follow this  

What do you think of this Craigslist XRL? Good deal?

Anyone mind checking out this link for me and letting me know what you think of this bike? Does the $2500 asking price seem about right to you? How many more miles would you expect to get out of a machine like this (obviously a ton of variables as to how the previous owner(s) took care of it)? 

This might be my first dual sport.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/4104582489.html

Below is text from craigslist add:

Up for sale/ trade is a 1994 Honda XR650L dual sport motorcycle. 90XXmiles. Starts easy(electric), runs great. Brand new front tire, rear tire better than 60%. No parts or repairs needed. Ready for the streets or trails. Lots of torque, easily does 70mph on the highway with plenty of gear left. Clean title in hand. I did lower the bike with a lowering link, it's about 1 3/4" lower than stock. Lots of other aftermarket parts installed, much better than stock. Still have the factory parts that were removed, and a bunch of extras to go with.

Aftermarket parts/ work done:
- Supertrapp exhaust
- carb jetted and tuned, Uni foam air filter
- Uni airbox vents
- Koubalink lowering link (lowered triple clamps to balance)
- Ricochet skid plate
- RSW Fork Brace (helps in gravel, bumps, & ruts, rave reviews on the forums)
- IMS 4.0 oversized fuel tank w/ custom XR tank graphics
- IMS Super Stock footpegs
- Trail Tech X2 Dual Sport headlight (upgraded to 55w high beam from 35w)
- Tusk Chub big bar w/ Tusk big bar mounts
- Tusk D Flex bark buster Handguards
- new Pro Taper Pillow Top Grips
- Russel braided steel front brake line
- Acerbis supermoto front fender
- steel luggage rack
- WPS low profile tail light, looks a lot better than the OEM TV set, brighter than stock too
- NGK Iridium spark plug
- low mileage on Renthal chain and sprockets
- Heavy Duty tubes front and back
- D.I.D. Rims, new rim lock on rear
- aftermarket seat cover

As far as trades go, would like to find a smaller dual sport. Possible other street bikes. Must have title in hand. Any other ideas, let me know. Cash, your trade + cash, or trade straight up if it's worth it. In no way do I have to sell it, just seeing what's out there. Serious inquiries only!
Thanks!

Well, 9000 miles isn't that much, and generally, not always but generally, someone who put that money in to the bike would take care of it.  $2500 seems a little high for the age of the bike in stock form, but with all the aftermarket parts, it could be reasonable.  The real issues is, are those the aftermarket parts you want and would you be willing to pay for them?  A bike could have all the bells and whistles, but if you don;t want the bells and whistles, then it isn't worth the extra price over stock that is being asked.

Not sure if that made sense or not.

Seems a little fishy with all those after market parts the odometer may not be correct .

The tell of the tape would be check the counter shaft

Seems a little fishy with all those after market parts the odometer may not be correct .

The tell of the tape would be check the counter shaft

mine was near  perfect at 22,000 miles  so I wouldn't use that as a gaugecs 22k.JPG

i paid 1300 for mine with just a Acerbis tank and seat upgrade i think 2500 is a little high so if you could get it down a bit  I would consider it a deal IMHO  then again a lot of the included mods may not be the direction you would choose

like the headlight upgrade to 55w watt bright  the OEM is 65 watt bright 55 watt normal   LOL

Edited by Zimman

Maybe set up as a semi dirt bike but looking at the lack of wear on the clutch and alternator covers it hasn't had that hard a time in any serious event or anything.,Sure sign of a bit of a hard life the boot worn engine covers..2500 ,,cheap,,worth 5000 here that..Mph speedo,,wouldn't mind one of them myself,,mine only goes up to 140k..what's that around 70mph,,not enough.

Edited by Horri

Here's the hard facts.  The extra candy adds almost nothing to the value.  A 94 at 9000 miles is a $1500 bike, tops.

Here's the hard facts. The extra candy adds almost nothing to the value. A 94 at 9000 miles is a $1500 bike, tops.

^ this is all you need to know right here ^

Thanks all. My other option is a 97 xrl with 5900 miles. I know the owner that has put almost all those mile on it. He's gentle on his equipment and takes care of it. Mostly stock with an aftermarket tank and new rear tire on the side. It has been sitting for about 4 years though. He wants 1800 for it. Better deal? 

P.S. in the 4 years that it's been sitting, he lost the title. He's trying to find it/replace it. I've been waiting about 3 weeks for him to get the title straightened out. That's why I have been considering the above posted bike!

I sold a 94 the first of this month for $2500.  I was planning to ask more once I "got everything fixed" on it.  It had less than 7000 miles.

That bike would easily sell for $2500 in California if there is nothing major wrong with it.  The only issue I would have with the bike is the lowering link, and how hard it might be to put the suspension back to where it's supposed to be.

Since all years of the XR650L are pretty much the same except the colors, I don't have anything against buying an older one that's in decent shape.  The year doesn't matter as much to me as the condition.

Here's the hard facts.  The extra candy adds almost nothing to the value.  A 94 at 9000 miles is a $1500 bike, tops.

Value is very much dependent on the region of the country. A STREET LEGAL dual sport with less than 10,000 is worth more than that, a 650cc with E start, even more.

2k ish around here in the midwest.  More with matching plastic.   ;)

$1,500 TOPS??  I don't know where you're doing your shopping.  Even old XL600s are getting $1200 to $1500 for decent runners.  It may be a 94, but it's still a 600 that cost like $7k new.  Your price range is more in the 250cc ball park.

Cgosms_2012-12-2804-40-02.jpg
20130312_125146.jpg

I paid 700 for the 93 and 1100 for the 04.

What makes these bikes nice is not having to pay much.

Do you think you could find half a dozen more bikes at deals like that?

I can envision a business opportunity importing them into California.  I'll be happy to pay you $100 over your purchase price for each one. ;)

:lol:

Do you think you could find half a dozen more bikes at deals like that?

I can envision a business opportunity importing them into California.  I'll be happy to pay you $100 over your purchase price for each one. ;)

:lol:

I bet you would LOL

In all fairness the 93 had an electrical gremlin that took quite a bit to track down and the 04 needed a new rear fender and brake light, also both mirrors and a clutch handle. It was funny the 04 was in this old guys kitchen, he was about 5 foot 5 and had dumped it on both sides, no real damage. It had less than 2k miles on it.

Edited by DefiantMenace

I was looking  for months i paid 1300 for My 93 xr 650 l  and i haven't seen a deal anywhere close to that  in AZ

I say you are definitely not the norm IMHO 

but you already knew that  LOL