first bike

so im 15 almost 16 and have been riding/building atvs for 4 years now but want to get a dirt bike 

so i can get a yz 250 2 stroke "that needs to be put back together" idk its a guys that jetski im working on 

but someone said that too powerful for a first bike and said to go smaller so what should i do 

here are some must 

MUST BE 2 stroke i don't use anything 4 stroke 

im 6'2 160

never rode a dirt bike

i dont mind working on things but it needs to not brakedown often

thanks

Edited by mrcoolaidkid

so im 15 almost 16 and have been riding/building atvs for 4 years now but want to get a dirt bike

so i can get a yz 250 2 stroke "that needs to be put back together" idk its a guys that jetski im working on

but someone said that too powerful for a first bike and said to go smaller so what should i do

here are some must

MUST BE 2 stroke i don't use anything 4 stroke

im 6'2 160

never rode a dirt bike

i dont mind working on things but it needs to not brakedown often

thanks

What kind of riding are you going to be doing?

Trail/woods

Anyone???

Any 250 or 125 yam an honda or KTM seem to be most popular where I live just if you do get a 250 treat it with respect as you have never ridden a dirt bike and don't weigh a lot at all. 125 would be the safe choice.

I'm your height & weight and started off on a 300, but I live at 10,000ft where engines are down on power ~ 30%.

I also had years and years of experience on long travel mountain bikes.

Lots of bad things can happen very quickly on a dirt bike.  Maybe you can tone it down with higher gearing until you get used to it?

The amount a bike breaks down will be determined on the maintenance performed.  There are bikes that have issues.  In general, if your bike is breaking a lot and you don't know why..... check in the mirror.

A yz250 isn't too good of a starter bike. It will flick you off easily. I would probably get a 200 2t for trails.

+1