Sign in to follow this  

Transmission or clutch issue

Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 DR-Z400S with 5,700 miles on it.  It was running fine when I parked it last week.  Yesterday I put it on a trailer and drove 2 hours.  A short part of that was on a bumpy dirt road.  Transmission was in neutral while on the trailer.

At the trailhead when I tried to start it, the starter would crank for a fraction of a second then stop, as if meeting too much resistance.  I thought the battery was weak, even though all the lights lit up as normal.  The battery lives on a tender all the time.  My buddy and I went to push start it, and that is where I got stumped.

With the engine off, in neutral, clutch either engaged or disengaged, I can push the motorcycle easily (normal).  With the engine off, in 1st, clutch engaged, I can't push the motorcycle at all (normal).  With the engine off, in 1st, clutch disengaged (lever squeezed), I can barely push the motorcycle; there is a LOT of resistance.  A little more resistance than when in neutral would be normal, but this was a LOT of resistance.  It felt as if the clutch was not fully disengaging.

Clutch cable adjustment had not changed during the trailer ride.  But I tightened it anyway.  It made no difference.

I did not try to jump start the motorcycle because I don't think the battery is weak.  The tender indicates it is fully charged.  Also, if something is binding in the transmission or the clutch I don't want to break anything by cranking the starter with my car's much bigger battery.

I searched but could not find anything.  Maybe I am using the wrong terms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You will want to take the clutch cover off and inspect the basket and clutch plates.

If it rolls in neutral then it should be safe to start.i would first make sure your motor isn't hydro locked with fuel.take out the plug and see if it turns over. If you have a bunch of fuel come out then you have either a bad float valve, float seat o-ring and a bad petcock. You will need to do an oil change if this is the case.

Sometimes the starter switch can get corroded and just needs cleaning.you can jump the starter relay( right side back of the seat)if you can't get the starter switch to work

You will want to take the clutch cover off and inspect the basket and clutch plates.

If it rolls in neutral then it should be safe to start.i would first make sure your motor isn't hydro locked with fuel.take out the plug and see if it turns over. If you have a bunch of fuel come out then you have either a bad float valve, float seat o-ring and a bad petcock. You will need to do an oil change if this is the case.

Sometimes the starter switch can get corroded and just needs cleaning.you can jump the starter relay( right side back of the seat)if you can't get the starter switch to work

just did a search and this came up. Had something similar happen to my WR450 yesterday.  Heard a strange noise, chain snapped, and in neutral(engine off) the gear stops, then i can force it by hand, spins, then stops, etc. Pull the clutch case?