Glamis sand dunes

California

Hey so me and some Friends are putting together a trip to Glamis. We have ridden at saint Anthony but never at Glamis. There is about 5 of us going all of us are on dirt bikes. We are thinking of driving up on January 1st which is a Wednesday then spend Thursday and Friday there then we would come back on Saturday. or we would go on February 19 which is wens day then stay Thursday Friday then drive back on Saturday. I was wondering if that is a good time to go. And is it really as crazy as it looks. Thanks any tips for Glamis would be great.

Depends on what you want to see. New Years is about as crazy and packed as it gets there. What will you be camping in? Tents? If you have 4x4's then you should be all right finding a spot to camp if you camp by the railroad tracks on Wash Rd. and not off of Ghecko Rd. Even with a toy hauler you should be ok, it is just gonna be packed. It is pretty cool to go to Oldsmobile during the day to see all the crazy shit out their. Go to the sand drags about an hour before dark as well. A lot of times when you get out in the dunes to the South, you won't see as many people. As packed as the camping is, a lot seem to stay close.

For a less "exciting" time, Feb would be better, less crowded, but not as much cool stuff to see.

Weather wise, It will prolly get down in the 40's at night, it's been in the 30's at times. Wind, you never know.

One thing to ALWAYS keep in mind, you will be on a motorcycle, some of the crazy a-holes out there in their suped up sand rails WILL NOT SEE YOU! Always think and ride that way and you'll be fine. You must have a flag on your bike at all times. Very anal out there. There is also a camping permit you need to buy. They can be purchased there or I believe offsite at a modest reduced price.

It can be a real fun place with a lot of crazy-ass-shit you'd thought you'd never see. That would be the draw for the New Years trip.

New Year's Eve 2000 at Comp.....

I've seen to many bodies lying in the sand.

New Year's Eve 2000 at Comp.....

I've seen to many bodies lying in the sand.

Were you there for the millenium?  I was...remember the fireman's flume?  Most badass campfire I've ever seen. :worthy:

Yes I was. Not sure about the fireman flume but do remember a couple big mag fires, movies on the projector screen, Suburban being flipped over in the parking area by the mob, Jeff Emig doing a face plant right in front of us and a whole lot of sluts.

Edit: like Ken said, watch those full travel sand cars out there!

Edited by ediot

yah there is a group of about 5 or 6 of us goin. We are from Arizona. Do we need a temporary motorcycle tags or since mine is licensed in Arizona. I think we are goin to shoot for February because we are a bunch of 16 year olds and would rather not see all that craziness Haha but thanks for the tips we appreciate it.

If you guys have any tips that will help us that would be great. We have been to saint anthony but not glamis. So i dont know what the camping situation looks like or anything else like that. So anything you guys tell us that could help us would be awesome thanks.

Halloween out there is pretty nuts too.

If you guys have any tips that will help us that would be great. We have been to saint anthony but not glamis. So i dont know what the camping situation looks like or anything else like that. So anything you guys tell us that could help us would be awesome thanks.

So I would guess that you guys will take the 10 to the 78W. If your heading west you'll get to the Glamis area the first thing you'll come to is the Boardmenville then the railroad tracks. Just after the tracks is the first camping opportunity, which would be the "washes". About 200 ft down the road where there will be (rangers)? charging and checking. You can camp anywhere to the right(soft sand). If you go past the washes on the highway the next camping spot would be to the left at the vender trailers. If you go past that there are some bushes you can camp by which is the road to Olds. Hill (soft sand). If you go past the venders the camp spot would be Gecko Road (asphalt). There are different pads you can camp off(hard pack). The last place closet to Brawley is any where by the canal (flat/soft). Watch out for rangers coming into camp at night and looking for under aged drinking and puffing. Have fun....

Like "Ediot" (yes, he is) :lol:  said, there are really 2 different types of places to camp.  1 is more of camping in the sand and 1 is more of camping on hard surface.

Here is a map of the area

Glamis Map.jpg

Here is a picture of a group up closer to where the sand dunes start.

Sand Wash Camping.jpg

The sand wash are is the sandy camping.  The sand wash road is no problem for motorhomes or trailers.  Just be careful hor far off ot the right you go.  The closer you get to the sand dunes the softer it will get.

Here is a picture of the camping off of Ghecko Rd.  The put down a hard packed surface to allow for easy motorhome parking without getting stuck.  There are 5-6 "pads" like this and a big turn out that has more area's to camp.

Glamis Camping - Ghecko Rd.jpg

Here is the big turn out on a real busy weekend :jawdrop:

Glamis Campping - Gecko Rd2.jpg

There are brick pit toilets on the Ghecko rd side, not sure about the sand wash side.  Haven't been to Glamis in 4-5 years.  Stopped going cause of all the craziness was just getting too much.  Started to just stick to the desert with the family.  Now, if I was a teenager........let the craziness begin :devil:

Glamis is not like it use to be with huge pits of fire, people driving through and the ones who can get burned. They stopped that years ago. Thanksgiving is the biggest weekend there just because of the long weekend. And I guess some of that has to do with its so early in the season. But even on the biggest weekends once you get away from the main crowds in camp spots, and Oldsmobile hill, the place is large enough where the dunes are still not crowded. However use precaution!

It's only as crazy as you are. If you want to find crazy you can.. If you want to have a mellow weekend you can... For the most part.

I'm itching to get out there this season

Sweet it sounds like a blast and we cant wait to get out. Since we are from arizona do we need temporary tags for our dirtbikes. i have been tryin to find some info on google but can not find any.

Sweet it sounds like a blast and we cant wait to get out. Since we are from arizona do we need temporary tags for our dirtbikes. i have been tryin to find some info on google but can not find any.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=26294#visitor

Sweet thanks for the help

would gordons well be a better option for us or do you guys think glamis is fine.

If you stay by the wash or Geico Rd, buzz over to buttercup, it's a fun ride.

The Glamis crowd is not what it used to be 10 years ago,last few seasons,things are relatively cool for the most part.If you want to see crowds you can find them,if you want to ride virgin dunes you can find those too.Off weekends are best time for riding as you can hit fresh dunes in no time and rail the good stuff all day long.Now that they've opened most of the closed areas,the riding is going to be even more epic.

Stay hydrated,be responsible,obey all laws,do not trash the place and enjoy what most riders do not get to experience with a smile on your face.Having a good leader to follow in the dunes will be paramount as to having a good day of riding vs ok.Don't beak formation,keep track of everyone in the group and have fun!

Thanks for the help we are defiantly goin to have a awesome time

Thanks for the help we are defiantly goin to have a awesome time

Yes you should! I didn't catch the part about your camping sich. So ill just say if your tenting it put your trucks in a circle and tents in the middle of them. A better option is just sleep in the bed of the truck and if it is windy bungie a tarp over the bed to provide protection from the wind! Before I had a toy hauler that's how I did Glamis and Dumont . If you do it right desert camping is not to bad. Use your trailer (if you are hauling bikes out there on one) for your camp stove / kitchen station . Take more water than you Think you need!

If I think of anything else ill post it. Have fun! And keep your eyes open for the Other guy !!!

Glamis is not like it use to be with huge pits of fire, people driving through and the ones who can get burned. They stopped that years ago....

So where do folks go to have fun out there these days?  Those giant mag fires, 3am OTL tournaments under the lights, drunken moto-debauchery...those were the days...is there nowhere left for the moto mongrels? I can't believe we're a dying breed. :excuseme: