Sign in to follow this  

So lost...as to what to get (95% dirt / 5% road) heres the list and my story!

I keep saying I'm looking for a bike to dual sport, but I think I'm wrong. I want a dirtbike for riding the woods of the north east. I need it to be road legal simply for connecting trails. I may ride to work here and there (2.2 mile ride on back roads) Most rides will be 30-60 miles. No highway or packing camping gear . No 200-300 mile rides.

My experience...20 years ago I trail road an RM125. Since then its been all atv's and street bikes with the exception of an 05 GasGas EC250 I bought last summer. I hated it. Loved being back on 2 wheels I just didnt like the on off powerband I'm 6'2 230 (athletic, not a tub of goo). I'm not an overly aggressive rider. I do like to get on it as my comfort level increases, but I do like to lug around too.

Budget - trying to stay around $3500.

Here are the bikes I've found locally that hit my budget. I've only gone to see one.

2004 Suzuki DRZ400e $3400 - Plated, Figure this is a great bike to get back up to speed on. Parts are plentiful

2004 KTM 525 EXC $3500 - Fear lack of parts. Went to see this bike. Clean..clean. 5 miles from my house. One owner. Meticulous. 685 miles. Could be too much motor

2009 KTM 400 XCW $3800 - Upper limit of budget, would need to put a dual sport kit on it. Making it pricey.

2009 KTM 300 XCW $4200 - Plated. Not sure i want to go back to 2t. 700 over budget

2011 Husaberg FE390  $4700 - Plated 45 hrs.   1300 over budget

2007 Yamaha WR450 $3000 - Plated, worry about it on the road. But should I for what little I will be on the road? Is this bike high strung? Or can it be lugged. In all honesty, this one is the best price looks great. One owner. Trying to set up a time to see it. Leaning on this one a bit.

*any bike I buy will be resprung

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Koko

I keep saying I'm looking for a bike to dual sport, but I think I'm wrong. I want a dirtbike for riding the woods of the north east. I need it to be road legal simply for connecting trails. I may ride to work here and there (2.2 mile ride on back roads) Most rides will be 30-60 miles. No highway or packing camping gear . No 200-300 mile rides.

My experience...20 years ago I trail road an RM125. Since then its been all atv's and street bikes with the exception of an 05 GasGas EC250 I bought last summer. I hated it. Loved being back on 2 wheels I just didnt like the on off powerband I'm 6'2 230 (athletic, not a tub of goo). I'm not an overly aggressive rider. I do like to get on it as my comfort level increases, but I do like to lug around too.

Budget - trying to stay around $3500.

Here are the bikes I've found locally that hit my budget. I've only gone to see one.

2004 Suzuki DRZ400e - Plated, Figure this is a great bike to get back up to speed on. Parts are plentiful

2004 KTM 525 EXC - Fear lack of parts. Went to see this bike. Clean..clean. 5 miles from my house. One owner. Meticulous. 685 miles. Could be too much motor

2009 KTM 400 XCW. - Upper limit of budget, would need to put a dual sport kit on it. Making it pricey.

2008 KTM 300 XC - Plated. Not sure i want to go back to 2t. 700 over budget

2007 Yamaha WR450. - Plated, worry about it on the road. But should I for what little I will be on the road? Is this bike high strung? Or can it be lugged. In all honesty, this one is the best price looks great. One owner. Trying to set up a time to see it. Leaning on this one a bit.

*any bike I buy will be resprung

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd get the WR or the Ktm 300
  • Like 1

Here are my choices based on your list

WR450F....yes it can be lugged.  Great all around bike.  Good out of the box.  Lots of parts reasonably priced.  Heavier than a 2 stroke.

KTM 400 XCW - might be the perfect bike except for the price you mentioned.  More power than 250 4T which wont be enough for you in the long run.  Not as explosive as the 450.  Better on tighter trails/single track than the 450.

KTM 525 EXC.  Parts can be had....they arent rare.  685 miles is maybe 30-40 hrs on the machine.....which is exceptionally low for a KTM.  Would be great if you have to do more road riding to connect to trails.

Please note that i do NOT have any experience in Northeast riding...my perspective is the Rocky Mountains (rocky and high altitude making the WR 450 a great bike).

Edited by SilvFx

Added prices and one other bike...figured that may sway some opinions as well.  Prices vary widely by region, so please don't turn this thread into "that is too much thread".  I've been watching prices for a year now and these are spot on for this region.  I left out crazy priced bikes like a 2011 Husaberg FE390 for $6500. 

Thank you for the suggestions so far. 

Added prices and one other bike...figured that may sway some opinions as well. Prices vary widely by region, so please don't turn this thread into "that is too much thread". I've been watching prices for a year now and these are spot on for this region. I left out crazy priced bikes like a 2011 Husaberg FE390 for $6500.

Thank you for the suggestions so far.

I'd still say the WR by far.

It's interesting to see the prices you pay out there compared to here. It actually seems cheaper than what we have out here.

I can't add much to your dilemma, other than that I love my 2001 KTM 300 and would love to plate it. It lugs down nice and is light for the trails.

I'm 5'9", 195lbs though.  I'm shorter and probably not as athletic as you, so muscling a heavy bike around for me is a bigger deal.

Yes....those prices seem cheaper than we see here in Colorado.  It all really depends on condition, hours, etc.  WR price if its not been abused is very good.  The KTM 400 XCW is also a terrific pric (if low hours).  I dont know the rules for converting/plating a dirt bike in Massachusetts, so not sure if this adds much to the price.  I think all the bikes listed except the DRZ will require conversion from dirt bike to plated bike  Out here in Colorado, usually all you need to add is brake light, horn, mirror which makes it an easy and less expensive proposition.

p.s. my experience is that good deals on CL get snapped up quickly (like 1-3 days).  I wouldnt wait around if you're gonna buy and you have made up your mind.

Massachusetts can be tough. But if it cones from out of state with a street title and I have the necessary Dot items needed for an inspection, I should be good to go. Trying to title a dirtbike from scratch is nearly impossible. All the bikes I have listed have a street title.

Here's a pic of the WR. And KTM 525.

1382403822558.jpg

1382403836516.jpg

Massachusetts can be tough. But if it cones from out of state with a street title and I have the necessary Dot items needed for an inspection, I should be good to go. Trying to title a dirtbike from scratch is nearly impossible. All the bikes I have listed have a street title.

Here's a pic of the WR. And KTM 525.

WR.

P.S. Get the wr.

Sounds like the kind of riding I want to do as well. Ive currently got a 2011 YZ250 2 Stroke setup for woods riding, but I'm limited to where I can ride it.

Ive found a 2008 WR450F with 3500Ks that I might be swapping for. Looks good!

gc5329937973047247922.jpg

the wr is a very good bike. it basically the same of everything as the yzf but just a tad different chassis different gearing ore towards trail and road. and it has a softer suspension set up also more geared towards roads and trails. the coolest thing about the wr is that it comes with an electro speedometer and head and tail lights. the 450f engine should be plenty much for what you are doing. the other bike I would highly recommend is the crf450x basically exactly the same as what is different from the wr to the yzf except is shares the same chassis as the crf450r. hope this helps