Sign in to follow this  

Bought XR400, air filter had no oil on it. SH!T

So what is the damage that could be caused by essentially not having an air filter?  I saw a video on cleaning and oiling filters that says doing a good job can prevent having to do a new top end,.  Now I am not certain what top end is except that it may mean the motor does not have to come out. 

Calgary-20131020-00417.jpg

So what is the damage that could be caused by essentially not having an air filter? I saw a video on cleaning and oiling filters that says doing a good job can prevent having to do a new top end,. Now I am not certain what top end is except that it may mean the motor does not have to come out.

If you're worried about it do a compression test, just ride it those motors are bullet proof

• Like 1

One ride on an un-oiled filter isn't the end of your engine (unless you were in a very dusty Desert Race).

Oil the filter an keep riding.

Well maybe I am panicking for nothing.  I think I remember seeing how to do a compression test in my xr650l manual.  Probably similar to this one.  I'll ride it and as long as it keeps going then good. 

It was more than one ride though.  Could have been the entire life of the bike at worst, the 2 years the previous owner had it most likely. 

I've heard so many people say they had no idea you were supposed to oil an air filter. 

It should be OK. Check and see what the inside of the carb looks like and clean it out if needed if you want. Other than that, just keep it oiled from now on and you should be alright.

If you're worried about it do a compression test, just ride it those motors are bullet proof

+1

Was the filter dirty, or clean?

Maybe he cleaned it before he sold it and just stuck it back in without oiling it?

How did the air box look?

Any greasy residue?

I didn't notice any smoke, so thaqt is good. 

I didn't check the carb, will look in there. 

air box seems clean, and the filter itself was very clean (posted pic in first post).  Maybe the guy did clean it before selling, but he did not clean anything else.  If he was making it look good for sale he would have changed the oil, or oiled the chain, or washed the mud off. 

Will check for oil consumption...next spring probably.  (getting cold here)

Barbequed some sausages, probably enough grease there to oil it.  ;)

Thanks for all the responses.  I hope to know enough to pay  it forward one day. 

• Like 1

A friend cleans the filter and the chain. Leaves the rest dirty... It's a dirt bike.

It its not smoking or burning oil, don't worry.

Change the oil, oil filter, oil the air filter, new spark plug, oil the chain, go ride. Valve adjustment.

check the motor side of the filter and look for dust. if nothing then you are fine. I check the air filter before I even start the bike when I am looking at them to buy. On the side, I have a K&N filter I will sell you for $10 if you want

check the motor side of the filter and look for dust. if nothing then you are fine. I check the air filter before I even start the bike when I am looking at them to buy. On the side, I have a K&N filter I will sell you for $10 if you want

I recognize your username ithink. Fron xr650l threads. I will pass on the k and n, I like foam air filters in the dirt.

Next bike will check air filter. Live and learn. I am guilty of really wanting the bike.

Air cooled Honda motors are TOUGH. I swear you could run them without oil lol. I wouldn't worry about it

Rob