Sign in to follow this  

how hard to get a xt600e

have i been living under a rock or is a yamaha xt600e a rare bike ? never heard of it until a couple minutes ago, and i have fallen in love with it !! looks like a big ttr225 , from my experience having owned a ttr250, tw200 and tt225 this thing has to be built like a tank and bulletproof ...

searched Craiglist and only found one around my side of the woods... are these bike hard to find?? are they good bikes??? are parts easy to get???  this young grasshopper would appreciate anything thanks

They were made for the 1990-1995 model years for the USA (I'm going by memory, so I'm sorry if I've off a bit), and they were not that popular back then.

I wouldn't expect you to see a lot of them for sale, today, because of this.

They were, basically, a more street-oriented dual-purpose bike compared to the model it replaced, the 1984-1989 XT-600, which was a bike that had no electric start, a bit less weight, and the normal-for-the-time dirt-bike-with-street-legal-lighting-and-equipment styling.

They were made for the 1990-1995 model years for the USA (I'm going by memory, so I'm sorry if I've off a bit), and they were not that popular back then.

I wouldn't expect you to see a lot of them for sale, today, because of this.

They were, basically, a more street-oriented dual-purpose bike compared to the model it replaced, the 1984-1989 XT-600, which was a bike that had no electric start, a bit less weight, and the normal-for-the-time dirt-bike-with-street-legal-lighting-and-equipment styling.

i also noticed the tt600 , i think they still make these in europe or something, because ive seen some pics of nice new ones... looks like a nice bike also, thanks for the info yzetc

The Euro model is related to the previous 660. They changed from the 5 valve DOHC head to a rocker arm 4 valve SOHC version. 

• Like 1

The yamaha 600's are not available in Europe due to more strict emission regulations.  The XT600E disappeared in 2003 and the TT600RE in 2005 in all euro countries as far as I know.

The “new” 660 is not really related to the old 600.  I don’t think a single part is the same.    It is much heavier, it is water cooled, it has FI and therefore lots of stuff more to fail, like pump/computers/sensors etc. 

So there was no replacement, the  ultra simple and reliable big Yamaha dualsport is no longer offered in Europe. 

Edited by GU520

XT600e rare ? NO.                 IF you live in Europe !  They are called 3AJ's, 3TB's,ect though or Tenere's. I think 2005 was when the 600's ended.

In the US, forget you ever heard of them, I think they only sold 2 or 3 of them over here, I watched for a used E motor for 1.5yrs, One came up on ebay and that guy sold it bolt by bolt, so the total would have been $3400 !!!!   

Never saw one in Craigslist all this year either.

I bought a 3TB(newer version of the E 600) from Germany and had it shipped, for less than many motors you can get over here.

I also am installing a older XT topend on a Raptor 660 bottom to make another of my XT's an "E" start, so I should end up with 2 of them electric start instead of kick.

The new 660 motor is a direct decendant of the 600's, Many, many parts are the same (you can't go by the whole part #), The topend bolts right on, cam chain is the same, piston slides on , stroke same ,ect...., They did change bore size and, yes,are watercooled now as updates among other stuff.

Edited by jjktmrider

I have a 1990 xt 600 and it has a electric start . I bought it last year off craiglist . The bike runs good heavier then my xt 350 but pulls great at 60 mph there is plenty of room left on my throttle.

Ya, there are a few here and there, not many, they are the same motor as the 84-89 just with the added starter and TCI ignition rather than cdi. I wish I could find a couple engines, I have 4 XT 600's (in various stages of completion)and am sick of those dang kickers, but love the bikes.

XT600e rare ? NO.                 IF you live in Europe !  They are called 3AJ's, 3TB's,ect though or Tenere's. I think 2005 was when the 600's ended.

In the US, forget you ever heard of them, I think they only sold 2 or 3 of them over here, I watched for a used E motor for 1.5yrs, One came up on ebay and that guy sold it bolt by bolt, so the total would have been $3400 !!!!   

Never saw one in Craigslist all this year either.

I bought a 3TB(newer version of the E 600) from Germany and had it shipped, for less than many motors you can get over here.

I also am installing a older XT topend on a Raptor 660 bottom to make another of my XT's an "E" start, so I should end up with 2 of them electric start instead of kick.

The new 660 motor is a direct decendant of the 600's, Many, many parts are the same (you can't go by the whole part #), The topend bolts right on, cam chain is the same, piston slides on , stroke same ,ect...., They did change bore size and, yes,are watercooled now as updates among other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgJSNwttII8 soo this would of been a bargain??

There is something not right with that motor ! It could be just valves needing adjustment but it honestly sounds like it was run out of oil recently and has some topend damage. If it is close to you go look at it, see if the noise gets worse with rpms or if it sounds like it's not running smooth. Some motor do just make more noise but are perfectly fine, it just is making too much in my opinion.

The price is great, Great condition for the rest of it, if the motor isn't too bad, but it could be a total topend rebuild. I would buy it if it were me, but I also have a bunch of extra parts on hand and can do all work myself. If you need to pay someone it could get costly. Too bad it's so far for me I'd get it.

Edited by jjktmrider

There is something not right with that motor ! It could be just valves needing adjustment but it honestly sounds like it was run out of oil recently and has some topend damage. If it is close to you go look at it, see if the noise gets worse with rpms or if it sounds like it's not running smooth. Some motor do just make more noise but are perfectly fine, it just is making too much in my opinion.

The price is great, Great condition for the rest of it, if the motor isn't too bad, but it could be a total topend rebuild. I would buy it if it were me, but I also have a bunch of extra parts on hand and can do all work myself. If you need to pay someone it could get costly. Too bad it's so far for me I'd get it.

2 year old vid i stumbled on youtube...  yeah i noticed the sound of the engine too

Actually, it does seem that some form is being offered in Europe:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660r.aspx

As stated above, it is the evolution of the old XT line. Due to emission regs, I doubt too many carburated bikes will be offered much longer. All of my newer stuff is FI, and frankly, I'll never voluntarily go back to carbs, especially with ethanol "enriched" gasoline. Carbs and ethanol are poor mixes. 

Not wanting to start an opinion war, but I'd also not be likely to return to air cooling. I resisted for years, but I'm now a believer, just like FI. 

Would you buy a car with air cooling and a carb?  (70s vintage Fiat 500 comes to mind here) I doubt it.

Edited by Yamaguy55

My 1993 xt600e is a AWSOME machine, I have a pro circuit t-4 exhaust which is anazing on this bike! Have it rigged for adv riding and is nimble com paired to my previous 2008 klr650, better powerband and lower/lighter

This is my favorite bike to ride!! I choose to ride this over my bmw f800gs and my drz400sm,

Ya, they're good bikes , the motor is a good design , to bad Yamaha didn't sell the newer styles over here because they got even better and sharper looking . The suspension is the week area on the E bikes , get that sorted on you have a good all around bike. I did finally find another motor and frame for a E-start , so just need the time to put it all together but I want to use the older style plastics , seat and tank.