What is wrong with Namura piston/cylinders and/or BB kits?

So what is so bad about Namura stuff or is it just the classic one person had a problem and word spread like wildfire and now they are considered the cheapest and worst thing ever.

I have searched the entire DRZ 400 forum several times for variations of Namura, Namura Piston, Namura Big Bore Kit and so on and while it does pull a few threads I'm yet to see one where someone tells specifically of a bad incident with a Namura other than one dude after like 8,000 miles.

I've been reading through a lot of threads trying to find out what is so wrong with them given the continous negative things people have to say about Namura, but I've only read a couple actual posts by people who have ran them and had anything bad and even then it wasn't catostrophic.

So what is so bad about them? Surely given all the negativity towards them someone has a story or proof or pics or all.

I'm just curious because I figured given the almost uniform distaste on the forum for anything Namura that there would be story after story, but given all the distrust and bad opinions towards Namura I've yet to see much in the way of proof.

I have nothing to do with them BTW, just curious how all the bad press got started and if it is really founded.

Edited by dirtdude723

nice try Mr. Namura! 

i think its probably got a lot to do with the saying "you get what you pay for"...

I suspect the usual thing is that for everyday riders who don't race, flogg the living s**t out of their bikes and do regular maintenance they would probably be fine, a piston failure at 23 hours by someone doing a 24 hour desert race at 100mph has probably given them their bad rep, bit like kibblewhite stuff, nobody has really provided any solid evidence of failures at normal operating conditions, everybody expects aftermarket stuff to put up with endless race abuse and not fail, hence why the good stuff is bloody expensive because its designed to handle it from the outset, surely reputable ebay sellers don't sell stuff which is so bad its always bound to fail no matter what, good question and some solid evidence would be nice, based on normal trail and road operating conditions, not racing, cheers

nice try Mr. Namura! 

i think its probably got a lot to do with the saying "you get what you pay for"...

that's my point, they aren't that much cheaper than a JE or even a CW kit if found at a good deal

like I said I have NOTHING to do with them, I just found it odd that everyone is so quick to say that they don't like them and wouldn't use them, yet hardly anyone has used them and of them only a few seem to have had any problems and even then it wasn't like they blew up after a couple rides

mainly I'm just curious where the almost lock step hatred of them comes from, surely there are a few people out there with stories of how they put in a Namura BB kit or piston and it detonated shortly thereafter or something similar

I don't have an opinion one way or the other really, never used anything Namura and don't know anyone that has, I'm just looking for the hard facts and proof to go with the obvious disdain for anything Namura so prevelant on TT, at least in the DRZ 400 forum anyway

This has been discussed many times....do a search on Namura Big Bore and decide for yourself.....

I suspect the usual thing is that for everyday riders who don't race, flogg the living s**t out of their bikes and do regular maintenance they would probably be fine, a piston failure at 23 hours by someone doing a 24 hour desert race at 100mph has probably given them their bad rep, bit like kibblewhite stuff, nobody has really provided any solid evidence of failures at normal operating conditions, everybody expects aftermarket stuff to put up with endless race abuse and not fail, hence why the good stuff is bloody expensive because its designed to handle it from the outset, surely reputable ebay sellers don't sell stuff which is so bad its always bound to fail no matter what, good question and some solid evidence would be nice, based on normal trail and road operating conditions, not racing, cheers

exactly

I'm not saying they are or aren't any good, just looking for real life facts from those who have had bad experience with them or even those who have used them and had no problems

like you said, ridden hard enough and abused long enough even nigh end expensive stuff will fail, heck pro teams in every manner of powersport racing have DNF from equipment failure all the time so even the most expensive and best built stuff will fail

I'm just looking for some this is why they suck or I haven't really had any issues stories

This has been discussed many times....do a search on Namura Big Bore and decide for yourself.....

I have, which is why I started this thread and asked the question because the usual thing you find is simply "they suck, I wouldn't use them, they are cheap, you get what you pay for and so on" but there is hardly ever nearly never any factual premise to it, be it pics or other proof

I just spent close to an hour searching all manner of Namura piston, Namura BB kit, Namura Big Bore kit and so on and all you ever see is the "they suck" chant over and over with most of those sounding off having no real life experience or knowledge of them and even fewer actual users having anything good or bad to say about them

I'm basically just curious how something can be so nearly universally hated, yet no one can definitively say WHY

that's all I'm looking for, WHY does everyone seem to have such bad things to say about them, especially considering most have never used them

surely someone who has had a good or bad experience will see this and contribute

Yep a CW kit is not much dearer and they are apparently ok, but surely for a mild build some of this stuff will be ok, I'm going for a CW kit based on some of the bagging some of the TT threads say about Namura, I have wondered why there hasn't been pictures of totalled kibblewhite valves/springs and bits of Namura piston and barrel spread from here to kingdom come, by guys going for a quick trail ride or popping out for some milk.

I have only seen one failure here on the forum...after 10 hrs use on an RM250, the piston grenaded itself...

Personally I prefer JE  or Vertex pistons

I have only seen one failure here on the forum...after 10 hrs use on an RM250, the piston grenaded itself...

Personally I prefer JE  or Vertex pistons

Interesting, none on DRZs at all.

In my reading of various posts / threads from many people on this board . People who's opinion and experience I have come to trust . Their word is enough for me .

I actually bought a new Namura 94mm cylinder years ago , it was cheap . After some Research , It is still in the box .. Never to be used .

In my reading of various posts / threads from many people on this board . People who's opinion and experience I have come to trust . Their word is enough for me .

I actually bought a new Namura 94mm cylinder years ago , it was cheap . After some Research , It is still in the box .. Never to be used .

Do you want to sell it, send it over the ditch, might be getting a second cheap dirt only DRZ and I think a big bores a must.

Do you want to sell it, send it over the ditch, might be getting a second cheap dirt only DRZ and I think a big bores a must.

I will pm you

I don't know much about Namura but the customer support at Cylinder Works can't be beat. I screwed up an install on one of their BB kits and when I called them about the problem they said don't worry we'll send you a replacement no charge just ship us the old one.

I really expected a fight...but they where very gracious about the return.

Ron W.

I don't know much about Namura but the customer support at Cylinder Works can't be beat. I screwed up an install on one of their BB kits and when I called them about the problem they said don't worry we'll send you a replacement no charge just ship us the old one.

Ron W.

Well Done Cylinder Works.... :worthy:

What did you screw up on exactly???

Ron W.

I have used many cylinder works kits , great product

Ron W.

Makes me more keen to use the product

I do not have any position on the Namura kit one way or the other, it just seems that the CW kit was worked very well for a LOT of owners.

I ran the CW kit for almost 60K miles on the first motor... ran great no oil use, etc...  The cylinder was still in spec after the first motor dropped a valve so I bought a new Vertex piston and it now the cylinder has another 6000 miles on motor #2.  When I build another complete motor, there will be CW kit on my shopping list...  

Well Done Cylinder Works.... :worthy:

What did you screw up on exactly???

I borrowed an old beam style torque wrench from my neighbor, he swore it worked great:-(

I torqued everything down to spec and ran it for awhile maybe 50 miles then noticed a oil drop down on the timing chain side of the engine between the cylinder and crankcase. So I thought no biggie it was right by one of the two small outside bolts, a little crankdown on the nut should take care of that. Well needless to say I cracked the casting at the bolt:-( :-[

As it turned out the borrowed torque wrench was off by 15ft lbs, so the head was not torqued down properly causing the leak. A new Auto Zone wrench fixed that but the drip was still there due to the crack.....A call to CW customer support and my new kit is on the way, can't beat that:-)

Ron W.

Makes me more keen to use the product

i have 18,000 miles and counting with a namura piston kit installed on a top end rebuild. The install was already done when some research on the drz forums informed me that my motor was going to implode. I am still waiting..........