Noise in 5th gear! please help!

So i bought my 2009 drz400sm with 30,000km used off this sketchy guy. He said that when u ride the bike in 5th gear it will make a odd grinding/ buzzing noise. "all you need is a new chain and the sound will go away"..... Anyways i took his word for it and realized ive been tricked.

So my problem here is that when i kick the bike into 5th gear and release the clutch and give a bit of throttle it starts to make this awefull grinding/buzzing/ metal scraping sound. My speed when i kick it into 5th gear is around 80-85kph or around 50mph. its pretty loud and definitely noticeable. the sound goes away when i dont give it any throttle. from gears 1-4 i have no problems and bike runs great. ive tried to go faster (100kph+) and then switch into 5th, same problem.

how i realized this sound was coming from the engine and not because of the chain was because i took off the chain and ran the engine in 5th gear and the noise was there. so anyways in the mean time i installed my new chain and new engine sprocket and rear sprocket and im ridding with that now. i have also changed the oil also.

gears 1-4----no problem

5th gear---clutch engaged--no throttle--no noise

5th gear---clutch engaged-- +throttle--Noise grinding.

please help, im out of ideas!!

So i bought my 2009 drz400sm with 30,000km used off this sketchy guy. He said that when u ride the bike in 5th gear it will make a odd grinding/ buzzing noise. "all you need is a new chain and the sound will go away"..... Anyways i took his word for it and realized ive been tricked.

So my problem here is that when i kick the bike into 5th gear and release the clutch and give a bit of throttle it starts to make this awefull grinding/buzzing/ metal scraping sound. My speed when i kick it into 5th gear is around 80-85kph or around 50mph. its pretty loud and definitely noticeable. the sound goes away when i dont give it any throttle. from gears 1-4 i have no problems and bike runs great. ive tried to go faster (100kph+) and then switch into 5th, same problem.

how i realized this sound was coming from the engine and not because of the chain was because i took off the chain and ran the engine in 5th gear and the noise was there. so anyways in the mean time i installed my new chain and new engine sprocket and rear sprocket and im ridding with that now. i have also changed the oil also.

gears 1-4----no problem

5th gear---clutch engaged--no throttle--no noise

5th gear---clutch engaged-- +throttle--Noise grinding.

please help, im out of ideas!!

it sounds like a clutch issue? Take the clutch cover off and check the plates for wear and check springs if you wanted take the side casing off and replace the whole clutch basket but you will need a new gasket for that side as its paper.. And coolant . Also lean the bike over to the side for minimul oil loss :)

Only hear the noise in 5th. Sounds like transmission problems.did you check the oil that you drained for metal? Did you look at the oil filter for metal too?

Not clutch .... Transmission

If you have a grinding noise coming out of the engine DON'T ride it.....you could risk damage to other engine components...

Dismantling /Inspection and Repair of gearbox is required.... :smashpc:

A clutch issue ?? Doubtful.... :bonk:

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Sounds a though its worn through the gear hardening on fifth gear or its chipped some teeth, bugger, ACT wide ratio gearbox kit opportunity.

i checked the oil and there wasn't any metal shavings or any stuck to the drain plug magnet. i think ill try to do as one said to check the clutch plates and springs. im not to familiar with motorcycles but im definitely a diy kind of guy haha.

BTW.....put "it could be a bad transmission bearing" on the list as well

Edited by Craigo 485sm