CRANK SEAL? BIG JOB?

Hi everyone. I'm still a newbie. Grew up riding bikes and only now (at 25) have decided I want to buy a bike and having bought an Atomik a year or so ago and just didn't feel same riding the piece of crap.

Anyways, I'm a short ass 5"1, and there's a 2002 KTM 65 for sale locally however it needs its crack seals replaced. My old man is generally good with fixing absolutely anything mechanical, but I was wondering how big a job it would be? I was also informed that when you get the crank seals replaced, you generally replace the gasket too. Is this correct?

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers

not the dreaded crack seal hahaha

Decent job boyceyAus?

It's pretty easy if you know where it is an how to get to. This is for the right side the left is easier. Drain the coolant, side casing off, primary drive gear off drill a small hole in the seal and screw a self tapping screw in then pull out the seal. Oil the surfaces of the new seal and push it a little way in Evenly and install with a socket slightly bigger than the seal make sure it is installed evenly and is flush in the crank case. Then build back up. New gasket depends on the quality an condition of the old 1. If your still not sure there are videos on you tube that give you a good idea of what to do

It's pretty easy if you know where it is an how to get to. This is for the right side the left is easier. Drain the coolant, side casing off, primary drive gear off drill a small hole in the seal and screw a self tapping screw in then pull out the seal. Oil the surfaces of the new seal and push it a little way in Evenly and install with a socket slightly bigger than the seal make sure it is installed evenly and is flush in the crank case. Then build back up. New gasket depends on the quality an condition of the old 1. If your still not sure there are videos on you tube that give you a good idea of what to do

Cheers for that Chris. Still worried that if I buy it and do the work that there could be more issues with the bike that's all. Thanks for your help

Cheers for that Chris. Still worried that if I buy it and do the work that there could be more issues with the bike that's all. Thanks for your help

There could be your better off buying a bike that is in working condition as it could be that the cases are not sealed properly due to damage and this would cause the same symptoms that a faulty crank seal would, you would never know until you took it apart. If your gonna buy a 2 stroke your better of buying 1 that works an then do a top end on it any way as you never know what your getting unless they have receipts to prove that the work has been done by a mechanic.