Sign in to follow this  

decisions, please help...

Hi guys,

Still running my old XR400 (2004) and she's still flying along....

I want to either upgrade the XR or swap her out for something more focused.

Problem is I don't know what to do.

Shall I part her in for a CRF450X or spend the money on the XR ?

I love the XR and don't want to replace her with something that is potentially a money pit and maybe a bit more highly strung and delicate.

What MODS have you done the  XR that have made the most difference ?

I'd like to improve handling and  little more power wouldn't hurt..

Anyone replaced fork internals? springs?

What this 440 kit like ?

Help, I want to make her good enough to keep for as long as possible....lol

BUT I HAVE TO FIDDLE WITH THINGS !!!!!!!

My first mod would be a pumper carb. I have the Edelbrock Quiksilver Pumper carb, but the Mikuni would be great as well. It makes a world of difference when tuned right. Easy start ups cold and hot, no hesitation, consistent power. Also when you dump the bike it won't flood, pumper carb can run upside down.

I haven't done the suspension on my current XR4 but will be soon and had changed the rear spring on another. Get it sprung for your weight. I'm a small guy at 5'10" and 130lbs so the bike doesn't even know I'm there. Just changing the spring in the rear made a big difference but on this one I'll be swapping both front and back.

Let us know what, if anything, has been done to the bike already. That will give people a better idea of what to suggest.

The 440 kit makes a world of difference.. I have my xr up in the attack of the shop hiding from the wife as I get some new parts in for it... She'll be damn surprised when I pull it out in a few weeks looking brand new! LOL. I had a set of CR250 forks and rear shock laying around that are sprung for about 200# and I weigh 180-190 so I'm changing them out, I'm rebuilding the motor with a fresh cam, valves, crank, rod, piston and rings. It's got the 440 kit now. I ordered a pumper carb, new tires, chain an sprockets, all bearings, fresh spokes, new plastic and a larger tank, new headlight, new skid plate and brake rotors and pass, I've ordered a new full exhaust. That it for now! I already have excell rims with talon hubs and heavy duty spokes, and lots of other stuff. I've spent about 1400$ in new stuff for it. I'll have all the parts in like 3 days and have it together in a few weeks.

Me and my best friend both had stock XR400s.

Now I've modded mine to to be 426cc, pumper, hydro clutch, CRFX USD forks, yaya yada. My friend sold his and bought a used but mint KTM 525 EXC.

Moral of the story? There is none! I like my XR, and my friend likes his 525 :) But I wouldn't do again all these mods, those KTM 525s (and 450s) are great robust machines, with estart and six speed. We don't have any direct CRFX experiment, but from what I hear a KTM is a better trail machine.

Me and my best friend both had stock XR400s.

Now I've modded mine to to be 426cc, pumper, hydro clutch, CRFX USD forks, yaya yada. My friend sold his and bought a used but mint KTM 525 EXC.

Moral of the story? There is none! I like my XR, and my friend likes his 525 :) But I wouldn't do again all these mods, those KTM 525s (and 450s) are great robust machines, with estart and six speed. We don't have any direct CRFX experiment, but from what I hear a KTM is a better trail machine.

you put $1500? in yours, how much was that 525?   ;)

I know what I'd do.......... oh wait I already did it.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1049270-My-XR400-build-(two-years-in-the-making)

For less than half the cost of a nearly new bike I have an XR that is a completely different machine. More power would be an understatement. This thing will come right over on you if your not paying attention. WER also does a fantastic job with the suspension on these bikes making the handling so much better.

After all that's said in this thread, ultimately it boils down to, "What do YOU want!?" Have fun with that.