Sign in to follow this  

Oily brake pads?

I disagree with these guys comments. I was riding with a few buddy's and a "buddy"of theirs who didn't like me. This was around 5 years ago when I was 19,20. The kid who didn't like me got stuck going up a steep hill as I already was on the hill so I didn't stop and I kept going, it roosted the piss out of him and the kid was furious after he got his bike down. He was pushing me and trying to kick my bike so I told him I was gonna give him an azz whooping if he didn't stop(we were 2 years out of high school were I was a wrestler and I played football and continued to work out after school so I was built up) he quit till we got back to my buddy's house were he took a quart of Polaris 2t oil and poured it on my front and rear brakes.. He also toor my seat and then took off before I realized. However I got on my bike and headed after him and realize I had NO brakes , I held in both sets of brakes as hard as I could and then I hammered it and it took about 1/4th of the pad away and it also ate all the oil away as they got very hot.

But in the end that little dickhead got away and I met up with him a few wreaks later and just kept walking past him..

But yes you can make oily brake pads work. I'm not sure if there's any other way to do so but I know my way wired!

I have been using it for years as a mechanic .brake cleaner will break down the oil and heat from the brakes will burn it off the first time you heat them up.and on my own bikes with leaking fork seals.spray them off get them good and hot them go ride

• Like 1

You can also expedite the process with a torch and rag in the garage. 

Pull them off the bike, clamp them in a vise, heat them with a torch till the oil/grease starts to weep out, wipe it off... repeat till you stop getting oil/grease out of them. 

Avoid doing this and using brake cleaner at the same time... heat+chemicals = bad chemicals.  http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

• Like 1

I have been using it for years as a mechanic .brake cleaner will break down the oil and heat from the brakes will burn it off the first time you heat them up.and on my own bikes with leaking fork seals.spray them off get them good and hot them go ride

+1

In the absence of brake cleaner, I removed the pads, cleaned with degreaser and hot water. With the soap and hot water mix, I stepped on the pad, face down and scrubbed on concrete with my foot. Works best on sintered (not organic) pads.

Also clean any extra oil from around the edges of each pad.

You can also expedite the process with a torch and rag in the garage. 

Pull them off the bike, clamp them in a vise, heat them with a torch till the oil/grease starts to weep out, wipe it off... repeat till you stop getting oil/grease out of them. 

Avoid doing this and using brake cleaner at the same time... heat+chemicals = bad chemicals.  http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

+1

Or mud/wet sand/long down-hill race to expedite. Throwing out oily pads is an old wives tale from street riding. We have good 'ol dirt which adds abrasion and soaks up oil.

Edited by Swappa

just in case you don't know about it...

you don't necessarily have to replace leaky fork seals. often, just cleaning under them with a seal doctor (or motion pro seal cleaner or even 35mm film) will stop the leaking.

usually, they just leak from getting dirt trapped under them. clean the dirt out and they seal up fine again.

Edited by LittleRedToyota
  • Like 1

thanks to everyones input if i cant find a good cheep set of pads ill just clean them up, LittleRedToyota i do know about that and i tried that, it did help but no alot and besides they have been leaky for a while and have barely any oil in them so i need to do it anyway

My forks are worn out and as a result leak all the time.I just change the oil before every race to make sure they start off full.I race Hare Scrambles.I can do stoppies any time I want and the brakes have been in oil for a year.

They aren't 100% but what ever % they are is good enough for a stoppie. :shocked: